Thread: Help!!

Skippy12 Guest

Default Help!!

Haven't done this for a while. My Itsy, is now 4 years old and not sure what to do. Postman called, found a baby, I am thinking 1-2 weeks old on sidewalk. Went and got the precious baby and gave it a Dawn bath. It is 90 degrees heat index right now. So, do I need to warm him, then hydrate him? If hydration is needed now...esibilac, water, etc.? Seems to be quite active and squeaking. Had some feces on his bottom. Has a redness to his scalp and right above what appears to be a little pens there is a pimple like lesion that has a brown fleck on it. Maybe a scab so I was careful in that area. I would send pictures but don't know how unless someone will give me a cell phone number that I can send photo to. Please help me save this darling child. Have him in fleece blankie in teeny cage right now.

Default Re: Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy12 View Post
    Haven't done this for a while. My Itsy, is now 4 years old and not sure what to do. Postman called, found a baby, I am thinking 1-2 weeks old on sidewalk. Went and got the precious baby and gave it a Dawn bath. It is 90 degrees heat index right now. So, do I need to warm him, then hydrate him? If hydration is needed now...esibilac, water, etc.? Seems to be quite active and squeaking. Had some feces on his bottom. Has a redness to his scalp and right above what appears to be a little pens there is a pimple like lesion that has a brown fleck on it. Maybe a scab so I was careful in that area. I would send pictures but don't know how unless someone will give me a cell phone number that I can send photo to. Please help me save this darling child. Have him in fleece blankie in teeny cage right now.
    OK warm first, even though it's hot out...heating pad on low, half under the container he's in and half off. Should be at least 85-88* where he's staying. Hydrate FIRST with homemade solution:

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 TABLEspoons sugar or 1 TBS sugar and a drop of honey
    .5 TEAspoon salt

Use a 1cc syringe or smaller -- NOT a bottle or eyedropper. Hydrate drop by drop, slowly. Every hour for about 3 hrs, then begin diluted formula (Esbilac POWDER....one part powder to 3 parts water for the first day, then gradually ramp up to full strength which is one part powder to two parts water.)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

KarmaKay (07-11-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    OK warm first, even though it's hot out...heating pad on low, half under the container he's in and half off. Should be at least 85-88* where he's staying. Hydrate FIRST with homemade solution:

2 cups very warm water
    1.5 TABLEspoons sugar or 1 TBS sugar and a drop of honey
    .5 TEAspoon salt

Use a 1cc syringe or smaller -- NOT a bottle or eyedropper. Hydrate drop by drop, slowly. Every hour for about 3 hrs, then begin diluted formula (Esbilac POWDER....one part powder to 3 parts water for the first day, then gradually ramp up to full strength which is one part powder to two parts water.)
    Bless you for the vital information!

That was what I call an Emergency Blurt, because I just spewed out everything as fast as I could for you. Once the baby is stabilized, take a nice deeeeep breath, have a cup of whatever you enjoy, and read all the stickies in each Forum here that deal with baby squirrel care. There is a TON of info!

*Remember: pinkies like it hot, like the temp of mamma squirrel's body -- 100-102*
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Nancy in New York (07-11-2017)

Here's a great resource.
    It's 6 (short concise) pages long with the NEXT button
    in the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Grinderhead (07-11-2017), KarmaKay (07-11-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Here's a great resource.
    It's 6 (short concise) pages long with the NEXT button
    in the top right corner.

http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/
    Thank you sooo much, you guys are a true blessing!

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Skippy12:

KarmaKay (07-11-2017), Nancy in New York (07-11-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Smile Re: Help!!

Well, it is Day Two and Pinky Paul is still with us because of everyone's help here! Yesterday he weighed 17 gms. and today he weighs 18 gms. I think he must be much younger than I first thought...his little umbilical cord nubbin is still there. I am feeding him every 2 hours around the clock. He only takes between .5 cc and .6 cc each feeding and then turns away from the syringe and wants to nap. I am keeping him half and half on the heating pad. He is on 3 parts water and 1 part Esibilac. He poops and pees easily with massage. Anything else I need to do or be aware of as I will do anything to help this precious little one! I certainly won't be offended if you notice something that I am doing that needs improvement I am also keeping a log of his feedings, amounts, weight, poop and pee duty and anything else significant. I am also keeping him very clean. Thanks all!!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Skippy12:

island rehabber (07-12-2017), Nancy in New York (07-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy12 View Post
    Well, it is Day Two and Pinky Paul is still with us because of everyone's help here! Yesterday he weighed 17 gms. and today he weighs 18 gms. I think he must be much younger than I first thought...his little umbilical cord nubbin is still there. I am feeding him every 2 hours around the clock. He only takes between .5 cc and .6 cc each feeding and then turns away from the syringe and wants to nap. I am keeping him half and half on the heating pad. He is on 3 parts water and 1 part Esibilac. He poops and pees easily with massage. Anything else I need to do or be aware of as I will do anything to help this precious little one! I certainly won't be offended if you notice something that I am doing that needs improvement I am also keeping a log of his feedings, amounts, weight, poop and pee duty and anything else significant. I am also keeping him very clean. Thanks all!!
    Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.
    The umbilical cord typically falls off around the 10th day.
    If he starts fussing during the feedings, he may want to be stimulated,
    and perhaps he will take more after going potty.
    I would change the Esbilac ratio now to 1 part Esbilac to 2 parts HOT water.
    Also make it up ahead of time, and let it "rest" in the refrig so that all the
    powder is absorbed. I will occassionally whisk while it's "resting".
    Many people who do this, then pour it into an ice cube tray and take
    out ~ what they will need the night before, to thaw in the refrig.

Sound like you have a great handle on this already!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (07-12-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Thank you ever so much. I will change the formula strength with next feeding. You obviously are a wealth of knowledge and I am so thankful for your kind assistance!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Skippy12 from:

Nancy in New York (07-12-2017)

May I tell you that I LOVE the name "Pinky Paul"? (my life partner's name is Paul)

You're doing great, and we are here to help.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Skippy12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    May I tell you that I LOVE the name "Pinky Paul"? (my life partner's name is Paul)

You're doing great, and we are here to help.
    Hahaha...well, he is a Pinky and the Paul comes from the name of the postman that called me to rescue this precious baby!

Skippy12 Guest

Default Re: Help!! 3rd day

I am a bit depressed..Pinky Paul is back to 17 grams today. He doesn't want more than .6 cc per feeding so I don't feel like he is thriving. He is still quite active, poop and pee are excellent. Good vocal squeaky sound when he is not happy like when I wipe his little bottom. Am I having too high of expectations for progress or am I missing something? I know this probably sounds crazy but I love this little guy so much I just want to be sure I am not erring in his rehab. I give him loves and prayers daily.

Are you up to full strength formula yet? The full strength formula will give him the calories necessary to gain weight. Sometimes they do lose a gram or so, but if a downward spiral continues, then there's cause for alarm. You can also hydrate IN BETWEEN feedings as a dehydrated squirrel can't process food well.

Also, are you still feeding every two hours?

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (07-13-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Ditto what Mel said. Can you post a pic, or at least describe whether he appears plump or a bit wrinkly this morning? Wrinkly means he needs extra hydration. ,6cc is a good amount for his weight.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (07-13-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Is there any chance this little one could be a red?
    They gain SO much slower than greys.
    You could also add Fox Valley Ultra Boost to the formula,
    but as others have said as long as there isn't a steady decline
    a gram is not a huge deal. Just keep an eye on the weight,
    as I'm SURE you are.

Skippy12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Are you up to full strength formula yet? The full strength formula will give him the calories necessary to gain weight. Sometimes they do lose a gram or so, but if a downward spiral continues, then there's cause for alarm. You can also hydrate IN BETWEEN feedings as a dehydrated squirrel can't process food well.

Also, are you still feeding every two hours?
    Yes I am still feeding every 2 hours. I started the 2/1 ratio of Esibilac yesterday. Of course his little skin is very thin but he doesn't seem wrinkly. When I stroke his little back it is smooth and doesn't wrinkle up. Maybe I am overly apprehensive. Thank you for your concerned response.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Skippy12 from:

Mel1959 (07-13-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Is there any chance this little one could be a red?
    They gain SO much slower than greys.
    You could also add Fox Valley Ultra Boost to the formula,
    but as others have said as long as there isn't a steady decline
    a gram is not a huge deal. Just keep an eye on the weight,
    as I'm SURE you are.
    Thank you Dear. You are always there when I need you! I will monitor weight carefully!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Skippy12 from:

Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Skippy12 Guest

Day Three...we'll things have been going famously, back up to 18 grams. However, this afternoon's feeding, Pinky Paul stopped eating at .8 cc. He pooped and peed but then as I started to put him in his little bed, he started twitching, his tummy moved up and down sporadically. I am quite sure he didn't aspirate any formula. Could this be the hiccups or is it something bad like a seizure? Oh Lord, I pray not! I constantly peek at him as it has been one hour and he usually is asleep after a feeding when his precious head hits the fleece blankie but he appears restless. He is not jerk in but just moving around continuously. Could he have low blood sugar? Now I just guessing?? Please any ideas? Not sure if I should feed him again in one hour or not??