Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OVERZEALOUS TWIT OPENS THE PORTAL OF OUR RELEASE CAGE!

Default OVERZEALOUS TWIT OPENS THE PORTAL OF OUR RELEASE CAGE!

In 14 years of rehabbing and releasing wildlife, at three different nature centers, this never happened before:

Some little twit, visiting Weinberg Nature Center today, took it upon herself to OPEN THE RELEASE PEN where two of my rehabber buddy
    Regina's squirrels were locked in. I had pulled up with fresh food for them just as this young woman, with far more zeal than brains, decided that one squirrel looked "stressed" and it was up to her to pull off her own version of "Free Willy"! (And some of us know how badly THAT turned out....) She opened the little portal that we use when the animals are actually ready to go free! The squirrel burst out and hit the trees and never looked back, while her bewildered sibling cowered in the enclosure wondering WTH just happened.

What would possess someone to take it upon themselves to mess with animals in a rehabilitation situation? The little twit kept trying to excuse her actions to me by saying "I meant well, I simply thought he needed help...I'm sure he'll be fine!" REALLY? YOU think he'll be fine, with all your grand knowledge and experience? Well aren't you a special damn snowflake!

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: OVERZEALOUS TWIT OPENS THE PORTAL OF OUR RELEASE CAGE!

Oh no!!!! That's terrible

The stupidity of some people is unexplainable... and the nerve! What in h*** made her think she had even the right, at a rehab center, to do that in the first place?

Hope the little one, and his sibling, will be alright.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scooterzmom:

island rehabber (07-09-2017), lukaslolamaus (07-09-2017)

My only satisfaction is that the twit got her ear blasted off on the phone by Regina, whom I called immediately to ask her what she wanted me to do. Regina felt badly afterward, but I told her no --- this person is young enough to be made to understand that she does NOT know it all, and just because she "feels sorry" for an animal or imagines some outrageous horror going on that she overreacted to, it does not mean she is right and there are CONSEQUENCES to her stupid actions. She's lucky she only got yelled at.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (07-11-2017), lukaslolamaus (07-09-2017), SammysMom (07-10-2017), stepnstone (07-09-2017)

Good Lord Maura I don't know how you keep it together!
    I'm afraid "twit & snowflake" wouldn't be the description coming from my mouth!

I'll light a candle and pray the little one stays safe...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (07-09-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017), SammysMom (07-10-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Don't you just love how small minded people think they have the right take action in other peoples business. Betcha she's sitting at home crying saying how awful and mean you are because you hurt her feelings. They don't even think of what damage their actions could do! They simply don't! Although I do find it quite amusing listening to them frantically try to justify their actions. Seriously, that takes some skill....aka crap slinging skills

I do hope the squee got things figured out and was fine last night. And I know you put a pile of food probably covering half of the centers property....

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

island rehabber (07-10-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    Betcha she's sitting at home crying saying how awful and mean you are because you hurt her feelings.

You're absolutely right, MM -- I do not believe that she acknowledges her outrageous action whatsoever! Even the dumb-ass with her, real daddy or sugar daddy, who knows? -- said at one point "oh the squirrel was ready to go, you could tell!" WTF??? Everyone is an instant expert now? When do I get to be an expert? I am still learning!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Anne (07-11-2017), cava (07-11-2017), Milo's Mom (07-10-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017)

Sad thing is morons breed and think they can do a good job of that too. Apparently her moron familius was just about as brilliant as she was. So do you put zip ties on your portals now?--moron protective devices.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

missPixy (07-11-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Sad thing is morons breed and think they can do a good job of that too. Apparently her moron familius was just about as brilliant as she was. So do you put zip ties on your portals now?--moron protective devices.
    Looks like "MPD" is going to become a well-used acronym among us rehabbers. Moron Protective Device...love it!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

missPixy (07-11-2017)

Oh No! How close were these littles to being ready for release? How did this person have access to the cages? I'm trying to understand the "how" of it. I'm sorry. Not that it really matters, other than to find a way to prevent it from happening again.....mpd's! Did the "bewildered" sibling stay in the cage?

It's always stunning to see what some people think they are entitled to do. I think the yelling and talking to she got was spot on. Question is, was it enough of a significant emotional event to keep her from doing something stupid like that again???

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Well aren't you a special damn snowflake!
    I shouldn't have laughed because it's awful but I hope you actually said that to her!! Hopefully that baby will return and get his/her full time in the release cage before having a real release. I can't imagine going an releasing a baby when I know nothing about the situation. If she was so alarmed why didn't she find someone to let them know he/she seemed to be in distress. People are just idiots.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

island rehabber (07-10-2017), SammysMom (07-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Oh No! How close were these littles to being ready for release? How did this person have access to the cages? I'm trying to understand the "how" of it. I'm sorry. Not that it really matters, other than to find a way to prevent it from happening again.....mpd's! Did the "bewildered" sibling stay in the cage?

It's always stunning to see what some people think they are entitled to do. I think the yelling and talking to she got was spot on. Question is, was it enough of a significant emotional event to keep her from doing something stupid like that again???
    Regina really wanted them to spend another week in the pen, because one was so shy. The nature center and its trails are open dawn to dusk to the public. We have two pens, with the main doors secured by padlocks. It never occurred to us to lock the little portals too -- the 4" doors that allow the kids to come and go from the pens until they are ready to be in the trees full time. Rest assured we will be locking them now!

As for snowflake learning a lesson, I am skeptical. Her daddy/sugar daddy (not sure) just grinned through the whole thing and, I'm sure, told her that this nutty lady was making a mountain out of a molehill and the rehabber on the phone was just rude. I think this girl has been indulged her entire short 20-something year life so far, and believes her emotions are actually reality. No hope.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Regina really wanted them to spend another week in the pen, because one was so shy. The nature center and its trails are open dawn to dusk to the public. We have two pens, with the main doors secured by padlocks. It never occurred to us to lock the little portals too -- the 4" doors that allow the kids to come and go from the pens until they are ready to be in the trees full time. Rest assured we will be locking them now!

As for snowflake learning a lesson, I am skeptical. Her daddy/sugar daddy (not sure) just grinned through the whole thing and, I'm sure, told her that this nutty lady was making a mountain out of a molehill and the rehabber on the phone was just rude. I think this girl has been indulged her entire short 20-something year life so far, and believes her emotions are actually reality. No hope.
    Thank you for explaining the layout of the center, IR. I must say it even makes me more surprised that this girl took it upon herself to open the portal! Who does that kind of thing at an animal facility?? It would be like going to a zoo and seeing an animal pacing and somehow think that you have the right to set it free. Holy moly!

Maybe the released one will come back looking for his sibling. Locks on the portals seems like an appropriate thing, but who would have thought that would be necessary?!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (07-13-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017)

Thank you for explaining the layout of the center, IR. I must say it even makes me more surprised that this girl took it upon herself to open the portal! Who does that kind of thing at an animal facility?? It would be like going to a zoo and seeing an animal pacing and somehow think that you have the right to set it free. Holy moly!

Maybe the released one will come back looking for his sibling. Locks on the portals seems like an appropriate thing, but who would have thought that would be necessary?!
    Exacty what I said yesterday --- does she go to the Bronx Zoo and open the hyena cage? Those suckers ALWAYS look stressed!!
    Yes, in 14 years and three different locations I have never had anyone mess with my release pens before. It just boggles the freaking mind....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Exacty what I said yesterday --- does she go to the Bronx Zoo and open the hyena cage? Those suckers ALWAYS look stressed!!
    Yes, in 14 years and three different locations I have never had anyone mess with my release pens before. It just boggles the freaking mind....
    Send her to the tiger's cage at the freaking zoo! I can't go to the zoo because of the stressed animals, but I sure as hell wouldn't think of opening their doors!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

island rehabber (07-10-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Send her to the tiger's cage at the freaking zoo! I can't go to the zoo because of the stressed animals, but I sure as hell wouldn't think of opening their doors!
    LOL!!! My thoughts exactly! Why would it even cross your mind? Oh yeah, Miss Snowflake isn't like the rest of us who KNOW our boundaries!!

Any sign of your released jailbird?

LOL!!! My thoughts exactly! Why would it even cross your mind? Oh yeah, Miss Snowflake isn't like the rest of us who KNOW our boundaries!!

Any sign of your released jailbird?
    Regina was there today and saw the sibling, still in the pen. No sign of Pluto -- although she finally admits, as most new rehabbers eventually do, that once they are out in the trees she really can't tell one grey squirrel from the other
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

28. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Anne (07-11-2017), Mel1959 (07-10-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017), SammysMom (07-10-2017)

oh damn if only you pulled up a couple of minutes earlier! can you imagine if you showed up while she was in the middle of fiddling with the latch to the portal door????
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to missPixy from:

Mel1959 (07-11-2017)

Just a sign of the times...everyone is entitled....they know it all...they do something to "save the world" and then just brush their hands off and leave the only consolation is Pluto is in a safe environment and has you there to watch his back
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

32. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

island rehabber (07-11-2017), Mel1959 (07-11-2017), missPixy (07-11-2017), Nancy in New York (07-13-2017)

Welcome to the new world order, our country will be ruined by these over-indulged snowflake twits. Gosh, sure hope she had a safe place to run and hide in , but that would depend on her having a operational brain. Daddy(sugar daddy) must have been grinning about someone doing the job of correcting/scolding this mindless twit since he or someone else apparently never had taken the time ever in her life. She'd have had more than a tongue lashing from me!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

34. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Anne:

island rehabber (07-11-2017), Mel1959 (07-11-2017), SammysMom (07-11-2017), stepnstone (07-11-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast