Thread: I hate to be redundant but... I think one of my little guys is sick.

Default I hate to be redundant but... I think one of my little guys is sick.

A few days ago, my two little grays escaped outside. They are about two weeks away from release time (4 months old). I figured it would be ok for them to be loose - figured they'd come back to the cage to sleep. I lead them to the trees in the back yard and they had a blast. Pretty sure they didn't come back that night to sleep.
    Saw them on and off the next day. One was eating mushrooms growing in a tree trunk. That evening, bad weather hit: rain, thunder, lightening. I heard a commotion outside and discovered two robins (who are nesting in my carport) attacking one of the squirrels (who had come back to the house). He was terrified... as was I. I couldn't get close to him because the birds were swooping at my head. They were actually flying into him and batting him etc. I ran upstairs and opened a window. He must have heard me because he came right to the window. OMG! I managed to get him dried off and warm and he fell asleep in my hands.
    About 25 minutes later, the dog started to whine at something in the window. Low and behold, it was the other squirrel, hanging on the screen.

I noticed right away that my one little guy wasn't eating much... was kind of disinterested in the food, but he was playing and wrestling with his brother as usual. The next day, my friend noticed that he was peeing often, but only little bits at a time. Today there was blood in his urine and I swear he has a fever! He fell asleep in my arms - very odd behaviour.

I'm thinking its a UTI... but what if he was injured during the 'robin attack'... could an injury to his bladder or kidneys present the same way? Would it be treated the same way (antibiotics)?

I am in Canada... I have no idea if we have any exotic animal vets around here... and we can't buy antibiotics without a prescription. Not sure what to do... I will phone around tomorrow... but in the meantime, any suggestions?

PS, today, one squirrel was laying on the window sill, looking out, listening when a robin came swooping at the window. Then it sat on the roof and watched him. I finally scared it away. Is this strange or what??

Worried mama tonight.

Default Re: I hate to be redundant but... I think one of my little guys is sick.

Wow, I'm very sorry your boys got off to a bad start. The behaviour with the robins is probably because they have a nest close by and they are being protective. I think it would be a good idea to keep your little guys in for awhile till you can figure out what's going on with the one.

There are some members in Canada. Hopefully someone will come on and direct you to them. They might be able to help with the medicine situation.

I really don't know if the robins could have harmed your little guy by doing something that would cause blood in his urine, but you never know. Offer lots of water and even some diluted cranberry juice.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (07-09-2017), stepnstone (07-09-2017)

Default Re: I hate to be redundant but... I think one of my little guys is sick.

I am working with a fledgling robin right now, and learning much about them.

Apparently Robins are very aggressive territorial birds when it comes to defending their territories against other robins, and defending their nests against anything else. So it seems to me, this is typical Robin behavior if there is a Robin nest nearby, as Mel suggested; and you state they are nesting in your carport.

I wish you all the best for your little ones. I don't have anything else to offer, except the Robin info.