Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Emergency, Must Travel, Need Advice

Default Family Emergency, Must Travel, Need Advice

Due to unforeseen family emergency I need to travel for eight days and cannot take Ben with us. There are no Squirrel people in my region and no person I trust to help. Ben has a HUGE room he stays in with everything squirrel proofed so I'm not worried about his safety, but I am very worried about his food and behavior as he has never been left alone before. Anyone had this issue and could offer some advice??? I feel like such a bad mother but I have no choice...

Default Re: Family Emergency, Must Travel, Need Advice

Quote Originally Posted by gunpackingrandma View Post
    Due to unforeseen family emergency I need to travel for eight days and cannot take Ben with us. There are no Squirrel people in my region and no person I trust to help. Ben has a HUGE room he stays in with everything squirrel proofed so I'm not worried about his safety, but I am very worried about his food and behavior as he has never been left alone before. Anyone had this issue and could offer some advice??? I feel like such a bad mother but I have no choice...

You will have to leave eight of everything, just in case.......eight bowls of water, eight different dishes of food, off the floor where ants etc. can't infest them. Some type of air circulation or temp control for the room....
    Walk through the room, imagining every ridiculously impossible disaster that could occur with every object in the room. Then take steps to prevent that disaster.
    You can freeze things and place them in a dish of ice -- like fresh fruit, for example. At least they'll stay fresh a bit longer. Hopefully Ben eats rodent blocks, because they stay very well unrefrigerated. The last few days he will only have dry foods to eat.
    Are you sure there is nobody around who can peek in on him>?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

cava (07-03-2017), Scott (07-03-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Because he will be alone, boredom might creep in, could you leave him some new interesting things to chew, play with so as to distract his time in a good fashion? Fresh branches, something to explore, etc. Things that would not cause a safety issue.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

cava (07-03-2017), island rehabber (07-03-2017), Scott (07-03-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Thank you for the advice! We live in a very pro hunting environment with the mind set of only the strong survive. All of my neighbors and friends have made it very clear Ben should have died as a baby instead of saving his life. Honestly, I don't trust any of them to assist. There's also a 100% chance he would attack them if given the opportunity which would leave to Ben's death and more than likely a lawsuit. Bens main home is a double Critter Nation cage. I take him out to play for 1 to 1 1/2 hours twice a day. His play room is approx 18x30, it's also my master bathroom. All tile, no carpet. Huge walk-in shower, cast iron claw foot tub which is covered in multiple layers of fleece. Lots of cabinets, all the exposed edges are covered in multiple layers of clear tape. He doesn't bother the areas that I covered. Ben has found some places I missed and let me know about them.
    Ben is very good about eating his Henrys blocks and Henrys peanut butter snack sticks. I will leave two bowls of fresh water, then freeze the other bowls of water with fruit and veggies. Any suggestions on what food will last the longest? Ben loves cherry tomatoes, usually I cut them into his salad but I will keep them whiole to stay fresh longer. They should last with no problem if I get some green ones. Ben's also loves grapes, I only give him one or two small ones a day but I know they freeze in water very well. What about leaving a whole sweet potato? Ben likes them and it would stay fresh longer. I will supply Ben with enough food and water to last ten days in case he binges the first day or two. What about nuts? How many?
    Ben will have a fresh Pine tree put in the room as well as new safe play toys to keep him occupied. I was also thinking about leaving the TV or radio on for noise? Any thoughts?
    I will be prepping Ben's frozen food tonight so any suggestions will be helpful. Also, any ideas to keep his mind busy. I will put toilet paper, paper towels and a Kleenex box out. As well as boxes and Toys. I know it's not the best situation but it's the best I can do to keep Ben safe while I'm away.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gunpackingrandma:

cava (07-03-2017), island rehabber (07-03-2017), Scott (07-03-2017)

Does Ben have a big water bottle? I worry about bowls being knocked over....and water would be one of my biggest concerns.

If you leave enough rodent block he will not starve.

I would think that sugar snap peas would last awhile as would blueberries in addition to the whole cherry tomatoes.

Safe travels!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baxied from:

Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

If your leaving tomorrow it's probaly too late to order a wheel.
    ALL of my reds spent hour upon hour on this wheel.

http://atticworx.com/

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

If you were to leave music on, which I don't have any pro or con about, consider having it on a timer, so it's silent at night and comes on in the morning.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

cava (07-03-2017), island rehabber (07-03-2017)

Ben already has a wheel, doesn't use it very often. It's big and spins easy. I put peanut butter on it to get him interested but doesn't seem to help.
    Ben has a very large water bottle, lasts about two weeks. Plus he has a bolt on water bowl that can't spill out. I will also leave several weighted bowls of ice to melt. Snap peas and blueberries are great ideas! Ben loves his Henry's blocks so I know he will eat them with no problems...

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to gunpackingrandma from:

Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

I know you said your neighbors are anti-squirrel, but how about a friend that you know? Personally, there's not the slightest chance I would leave an animal alone that can't fend for itself for over a eek without someone at least checking in on him. Anything can happen- Air conditioner goes out, power outage, burglary, etc.. Lord only knows what an unsupervised squee with do for 8 days alone. I know my boy will purposefully start to knock things over & cause mischief when I'm not in the room with him just so I'll come running. If he gets lonely enough or bored dry wall is nothing to these guys.

I would find someone that would at least make sure all is right in the house & can briefly check to make sure everything is ok with your guy. Too many variables and things that could potentially go wrong to just leave him to his own demise. If it were 1-2 days, it probably wouldn't be as questionable- but over a week ( and what if something goes wrong & your stay extends..) is way too long to leave a squee alone.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to nchapman:

redwuff (07-04-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017), UDoWhat (07-04-2017)

I realize that a family emergency takes precidence.

We always had someone stay with our squirrel when we went on a trip. Block free fed would keep your squirrel going, yet water bottles can shift or become clogged. Having more than one would be needful, and then well secured so the squirrel cannot dislocate it if there is no one to check on him. Still there is that which is unpredicable that can happen to consider.

I have some anti squirrel neighbors too, yet you may want to at least inquire of a pet sitting service in your area; just don't tell them who or where you are till you hear what they have to say. We have some here in our State even so it is not a legal State. Where there is no competing species in areas that these animals have been introduced, some don't see this as a problem. Your area would qualify in that regard, as is the case in my area also.

You might contact the Adminstration on the board for a contact closer by in an adjacent State?

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Thought to add here: It is important to include with the instructions to a pet sitter, not touch or hand feed your pet, as they could be bitten in trying to do that.

Also let them know that your animal hasn't been in contact with any others for sometime to assure them, as this seems to be a topic of concern with rabies in western States.

If you have a food trap door that is small enough that your squirrel cannot easily get out if opened to put in food, that could help to prevent an escape when the food is given. Always tell the caregiver to close the door of the room behind them after entering; this just in case the pet should escape its cage.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

cava (07-03-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Are you thinking of leaving him out in the bathroom while you're gone? If that's the case, do something about the toilet. Just putting the lid down is not going to be enough. Glue it closed or something! 8 days is a long time for a squee to get it a lot of trouble.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

23. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

island rehabber (07-03-2017), redwuff (07-04-2017), Scott (07-03-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

I would feel very uneasy about leaving him for 8 days. Is there anyway you could take him with you. If you do be careful if you are going thought a state that does not allow a person to keep a squirrel. Some states will put the squirrel to death if they catch person with a squirrel.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gray Squirrel from:

Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

She can not take Ben with her ... we will say cookiemonez,, prayers every day ... I think go back to IR's post, #2 on the thread ... Ben will not starve himself ... "Darwin" ... and as long as the house doesn't burn down, and Ben is safe from chewing an exit or chewing an electric wire. ..

he will be OK .... just provide him, with all identifiable options for food ..

I wouldn't do it (I would have a lady come in, who understands some of the nuances of squirrels) ..

but sounds like grandma is stuck ... we don't have anyone near her ???

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Scott:

island rehabber (07-03-2017), Lighten-Up (07-04-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Folks, she lives in Montana, the least populated state in the Union, I believe??? And we think there will be a nearby TSB member available to help? Maybe if you call Illinois "nearby".....

It's clear that you'll have to leave him, grandma, so just squirrel-proof that room as perfectly as you can and we'll all be praying until you get back. AND, if there is any way you can shorten that trip --- DO IT.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

29. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Lighten-Up (07-04-2017), Scott (07-03-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by nchapman View Post
    I know you said your neighbors are anti-squirrel, but how about a friend that you know? Personally, there's not the slightest chance I would leave an animal alone that can't fend for itself for over a eek without someone at least checking in on him. Anything can happen- Air conditioner goes out, power outage, burglary, etc.. Lord only knows what an unsupervised squee with do for 8 days alone. I know my boy will purposefully start to knock things over & cause mischief when I'm not in the room with him just so I'll come running. If he gets lonely enough or bored dry wall is nothing to these guys.

I would find someone that would at least make sure all is right in the house & can briefly check to make sure everything is ok with your guy. Too many variables and things that could potentially go wrong to just leave him to his own demise. If it were 1-2 days, it probably wouldn't be as questionable- but over a week ( and what if something goes wrong & your stay extends..) is way too long to leave a squee alone.
    I have to agree. The drywall question is a big concern. Any of my squirrels left alone for even a few minutes would chew the drywall and make a hole in it in no time. Can't tell you how many times I had the drywall repaired ! Lol
    Another thought is that the Henry's block can mold after a few days. Henry's block needs refrigeration, rat block doesn't. I would leave some rat block so after a few days when the other food is gone or not fresh the rodent block will be available. Leave the rodent block even if your squirrel hasn't eaten it before. They will eat block rather than be hungry.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Mel1959 (07-05-2017), redwuff (07-04-2017), Snicker Bar (07-04-2017)

My sympathies and best wishes , prayers to you... I know how you feel! I'm still stressing about our upcoming ten day trip, but it's not an emergency. I'm sure you're already in route, hopefully all will be well while you're away.

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Snicker Bar from:

UDoWhat (07-04-2017)

Thank you for all you help! We leave tomorrow. Everything we could think of has been done. While I can't find anyone to actually come in the house I did convince a neighbor to look into the bathroom window everyday to check on Ben and my walls. The toilet is in a separate room so no worries about that. Ben has played in the master bath for seven months, twice a day, so he is very comfortable with the environment. His double Critter Nation is also there with his condo and Toys. Everything has been checked and double checked. Hope I'm smarter than Ben...fingers crossed! I have frozen blocks of ice to keep the water fresher longer. Also freezing food within the blocks to keep it fresher longer. We have lots of blocks and snack blocks. It's way overkill but I am leaving enough food for Ben to throw a party for a month! I know most will go bad but I want to be sure Ben has variety and some may not go bad before we return. I purchased both ripe and not yet ripe veggies and fruit to try and lengthen their life.
    As far as the room and house. Ben has central air and a back up generator for power outages. We also have security services which monitor for fire, break-ins and floods. No electronics or electrical exposed. All corners, moulding, doors, window frames and all other wood has been covered. Ben has never tryed to eat tile or metal do hope they are safe. Not sure about the drywall. Ben has never once tryed to chew it. We do not have squared corners, ours our round so maybe thats the reason he have left them alone.
    Ben is in perfect health, weighs a hefty 276 grams. Alittle chunck for a red. I have only fed him blocks for breakfast, then a salad for lunch. Blocks and salad for dinner. Two to three snacks which can include a grape, mango, Apple, peach or a piece of walnut. I believe Ben's diet is good. I am worried he may forget his good eating habits and eat all the snacks first...Oh, there are other items on his snack list but I got tired typing...long night packing.
    Pray I covered everything... Will check for other suggestions before we leave tomorrow....

Ben has a brilliant mamma and a very very nice environment -- I think he's gonna be fine!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

. It sounds like you have thought of everything. Have a safe trip!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast