Thread: Need help with fluid calculations

Default Need help with fluid calculations

The New York State Wildlife Rehabilitation License Exam Study Manual says to multiply the animal's weight (grams) by the percentage it is dehydrated in order to calculate replacement fluids (mL), and to multiply the animal's weight by .04 mL/g (if animals weight is in grams) or 40 mL/kg (if weight is in kilograms)... Then to add replacement and maintenance fluids, and divide by # of times fluid will be administered.... BUT I'm reading NWRA's "Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation 2nd Edition", and THIS says to first calculate the correct body weight by adding 10% to the animal's weight to compensate for probable dehydration.... Also, the percentages of dehydration are different-- In the NYS Study Manual, there is <5% = none, 6% = 1-2 seconds for skin tent collapse, 6-8% = 2-3 seconds for skin tent collapse and sunken eyes, and 10-12% = 3-5 seconds for skin tent collapse, sunken eyes, and pale/tacky mucous membranes.... HOWEVER, "Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation" says <5% = none, 5-7% = tacky mucous membranes, decreased urine output, and 2-5 seconds for skin tent collapse, 8-9% = weak pulse, sunken eyes, animal is depressed/lethargic, 2-5 seconds for skin tent collapse, 10-12% = signs of shock and no return of skin turgor.... WHICH book's advice do I follow? Which is correct? Which do U personally follow??
    <font size=5> <span style=font-family: Century Gothic>  

***Newly Licensed NY State Wildlife Rehabilitator***

~*The fur baby who started it all, Snickers*~ ♡♡ Who knew the pitter patter of tiny feet would be from a squirrel? :rofl  ~*No me importa cuanto tu crece, siempre te vas ser mi bambino*~ ♡♡  Not all those who wander are lost...  </span> </font>

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Need help with fluid calculations

If you are taking the NY state test and they have a study guide, you study and learn what the state says. What you practice is not in any way related to the test.

If I followed what my state says I would not be a rehabber, I'd be a mistress of death!

You study for the test, instructors teach the test...then when you have your license you do what works for you (providing it is nutritionally appropriate for the specie).

Personally, I follow NWRA and IWRC which is written by Erica Miller, DVM. But that is what I do and that is what works for me.

And, an example of what I said above...what works for you....on the test for my state there is a question about rehabbing bunnies.
    Do you do feed bunnies
    A. XYZ formula,
    B. ABC formula,
    C. EFG formula,
    D. Whatever works for you.

The correct answer for the state test here in my state is D.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

cava (06-28-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-28-2017), UDoWhat (06-28-2017)

Thanks so much!! I thought I should just follow what the NYS Study Manual said-- But the Study Manual also said to study NWRA "Principles of Wildlife Rehabilitation", "Minimum Standards of Wildlife Rehabilitation", and "Basic Care for Wildlife"... So I just wasn't sure which to go with in the case of conflicting information... 😊 Thanks

~*The fur baby who started it all, Snickers*~ ♡♡ Who knew the pitter patter of tiny feet would be from a squirrel? :rofl  ~*No me importa cuanto tu crece, siempre te vas ser mi bambino*~ ♡♡  Not all those who wander are lost...  </span> </font>

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    If you are taking the NY state test and they have a study guide, you study and learn what the state says. What you practice is not in any way related to the test.

If I followed what my state says I would not be a rehabber, I'd be a mistress of death!

You study for the test, instructors teach the test...then when you have your license you do what works for you (providing it is nutritionally appropriate for the specie).

Personally, I follow NWRA and IWRC which is written by Erica Miller, DVM. But that is what I do and that is what works for me.

And, an example of what I said above...what works for you....on the test for my state there is a question about rehabbing bunnies.
    Do you do feed bunnies
    A. XYZ formula,
    B. ABC formula,
    C. EFG formula,
    D. Whatever works for you.

The correct answer for the state test here in my state is D.
    Exactly..... study for the NY test, however, learn what Dr. Miller suggests. She just starts all intakes out at 10% dehydration level to make it easy and as she says, "It can only help". Dr. Miller is the queen of wildlife rehab and literally wrote the book (and re-hydration protocol) for the NWRA and IWRC. TSB has some different ideas on rehydration but I stay with Dr. Miller"s protocol. She believes that not hydrating enough and not calculating replacement and maintenance hydration needs is the number 1 mistake that new rehabbers make.... and says that "the animal may survive but it will be more difficult on the animal if not given proper rehydration fluids for at least 3 days. It can't possibly be rehydrated in only 1 day." If you get a chance to take any of Dr. Miller's classes, they are the best!!

Remember rehydration fluids need to be give in between and in addition to formula feedings after the first 12 hours. The animal must receive nutrition along with fluid needs after that.

Good luck. I took the IWRC test and practical labs many years ago. I don't think you have to take the labs anymore? Maybe just the test?

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (06-28-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Exactly..... study for the NY test, however, learn what Dr. Miller suggests. She just starts all intakes out at 10% dehydration level to make it easy and as she says, "It can only help". Dr. Miller is the queen of wildlife rehab and literally wrote the book (and re-hydration protocol) for the NWRA and IWRC. TSB has some different ideas on rehydration but I stay with Dr. Miller"s protocol. She believes that not hydrating enough and not calculating replacement and maintenance hydration needs is the number 1 mistake that new rehabbers make.... and says that "the animal may survive but it will be more difficult on the animal if not given proper rehydration fluids for at least 3 days. It can't possibly be rehydrated in only 1 day." If you get a chance to take any of Dr. Miller's classes, they are the best!!

Remember rehydration fluids need to be give in between and in addition to formula feedings after the first 12 hours. The animal must receive nutrition along with fluid needs after that.

Good luck. I took the IWRC test and practical labs many years ago. I don't think you have to take the labs anymore? Maybe just the test?
    Thanks, but can u just clarify one part of ur comment please? U said "Rehydration fluids need to be given in between and in addition to formula feedings after the first 12 hours. The animal must receive nutrition along eith fluid needs after that"... By that, did u mean that after the first 12 hours of giving only fluids, that I also have to formula feed in order for their nutritional needs to be met? Also, u specifically said FORMULA feedings-- What if the animal is already weaned and no longer takes formula? Did u mean solid foods also (for animals that are already weaned)? Or it doesn't matter whether they're weaned or not, becuz their body can't handle expending energy to digest solid foods, and I should still stick with formula, or something along the lines of Critical Care...? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, asking what must seem like simple questions to u-- Lol I just wanna make sure I get this rite-- Failure is not an option for me in taking this test-- I don't wanna have to wait another year to take it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Phoxy8947 View Post
    Thanks, but can u just clarify one part of ur comment please? U said "Rehydration fluids need to be given in between and in addition to formula feedings after the first 12 hours. The animal must receive nutrition along eith fluid needs after that"... By that, did u mean that after the first 12 hours of giving only fluids, that I also have to formula feed in order for their nutritional needs to be met? Also, u specifically said FORMULA feedings-- What if the animal is already weaned and no longer takes formula? Did u mean solid foods also (for animals that are already weaned)? Or it doesn't matter whether they're weaned or not, becuz their body can't handle expending energy to digest solid foods, and I should still stick with formula, or something along the lines of Critical Care...? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, asking what must seem like simple questions to u-- Lol I just wanna make sure I get this rite-- Failure is not an option for me in taking this test-- I don't wanna have to wait another year to take it again....
    Yes, after 12 hours on fluids you must add formula feedings for babies that are not yet weaned. They have to have nutrition too. You still need to transition slowly to formula like you would normally.

If the animal is an adult and not on formula you would calculate the replacement fluids + maintenance fluids (according to weight and the dehydration level) and add nutrition (or solid food) to that calculation. However, when you get a really dehydrated adult squirrel in it is most likely pretty sick. You would probably offer formula, baby foods, Critical Care or other liquids for a day or 2 anyway. The NWRA and IWRC protocol will help you understand the re-hydration fluid needs for adult squirrels.

These are not simple questions. I still refer to my guides many times when I get a new intake. It is funny, sometimes you feel like have you have never done this before. Lol

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Phoxy8947 (06-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Yes, after 12 hours on fluids you must add formula feedings for babies that are not yet weaned. They have to have nutrition too. You still need to transition slowly to formula like you would normally.

If the animal is an adult and not on formula you would calculate the replacement fluids + maintenance fluids (according to weight and the dehydration level) and add nutrition (or solid food) to that calculation. However, when you get a really dehydrated adult squirrel in it is most likely pretty sick. You would probably offer formula, baby foods, Critical Care or other liquids for a day or 2 anyway. The NWRA and IWRC protocol will help you understand the re-hydration fluid needs for adult squirrels.

These are not simple questions. I still refer to my guides many times when I get a new intake. It is funny, sometimes you feel like have you have never done this before. Lol
    Lol thanks for not making me feel stupid-- Its just a LOT if information to learn and remember!! Also, thanks for the well wishes!! 😊 Like I said, failing the test is not an option, so I hope I do well