Thread: Southern Flyer found lying in yard in morning (daylight)

D&JLeighton Guest

Default Southern Flyer found lying in yard in morning (daylight)

I found a Southern Flyer laying in my yard at about 830am When I realized it was breathing I tried to pick it up with a towel. It was holding its head cocked to side and it kept shaking or nodding its head. At one point it seemed like maybe it had a seizure. Got it into a box and in the house. Put a little water in a very shallow dish, some bird seed and a piece of suet in the box. It curled in towels and slept. Next am it had drank seemed like it ate some suet and it had pooped. After researching I realized I shouldn't be giving it nuts and suet, which is what we see them eating at night in our yard. I put kefir in a small lid and small piece of cooked roast meat with no seasoning on it. By next morning it ate both. Before leaving for work I put more Kefir, 2 blueberries, 3 spinach leaves and another small piece of beef. It ate the Kefir while I was at work, but nothing else. I to release it back to the wild, but I do not know how to tell if it is ready to survive out there. I am in FL near Daytona Beach and hoping to find someone who is familiar with rehabbing them possibly willing to either take it or let me know if I can release it here. There are others out here, but the past 2 nights I have not seen them.

Default Re: Southern Flyer found lying in yard in morning (daylight)

There is a TSB member that goes by the name Anne on the forum. She is located in Jacksonville at The Ark wildlife rehabilitation center. She has extensive knowledge about flyers and is not too far from you. I would suggest sending her a private message or looking up the number for her facility. I'm sorry I don't have that information, but there are administrators and others on here that may have that info.

Thank you for helping this little one. I do believe they need to be released where there is a colony or with others. I hope someone with more knowledge about flyers than myself will chime in.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Nancy in New York (06-21-2017)

D&JLeighton Guest

Thank you Mel1959. I will look her up and see if maybe I can get the little guy up to her.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to D&JLeighton from:

Mel1959 (06-20-2017)

D&JLeighton Guest

I found her and sent a private message. Thank you so much

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to D&JLeighton from:

Mel1959 (06-20-2017)

Was Anne able to get the flyer?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Nancy in New York (06-21-2017)

D&JLeighton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Was Anne able to get the flyer?
    I talked to Anne and she put me in touch with Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic which is 20 mins away. I dropped the little flyer off to them this morning at 7:00. They are going to take it and rehab. If it can be released they will release with colony if not they will keep with colony that is not being released. Thank goodness they have a vet there (Dr Alicia Emerson) and she is very familiar with flying squirrels. She rehabs them and raises them. I know I have plenty in my yard so if I ever have another injured one I will know to go straight to them. Thank you to Anne and to Mel for the help <3

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to D&JLeighton:

Jennefer (06-23-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017), stepnstone (06-22-2017)

D&JLeighton Guest

Also when I got up this morning it was sitting upright with food in its hand eating. That is the first time since I found it that I saw it sitting upright like that, so that was a very good sign.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to D&JLeighton:

Jennefer (06-23-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by D&JLeighton View Post
    I talked to Anne and she put me in touch with Ravenwood Veterinary Clinic which is 20 mins away. I dropped the little flyer off to them this morning at 7:00. They are going to take it and rehab. If it can be released they will release with colony if not they will keep with colony that is not being released. Thank goodness they have a vet there (Dr Alicia Emerson) and she is very familiar with flying squirrels. She rehabs them and raises them. I know I have plenty in my yard so if I ever have another injured one I will know to go straight to them. Thank you to Anne and to Mel for the help <3
    Yes, many of us know Dr. Emerson very well. I have made many trips to her clinic. She is an awesome vet and especially loves squirrels! Thank you for helping this little guy.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017)

That's wonderful news....you're our hero and I believe this is Dr. E....and the lil one couldn't be in better hands
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Members who have read this thread: 1