Thread: Just some random questions..

Cool Just some random questions..

I have acquired a grey squirrel that was at quite a young age. Was unable to fend for itself and the gentleman that had "saved" her had no idea what he was doing. He had cut the nipple hole to big so she was sputtering formula (idk what kind he was using) all over. When I was younger I helped my mother n step father raise all sorts of baby wild creatures so I took on the role of "mom" for this baby squirrel. I have always wanted to care for one but never had the opportunity or when i did they were older and attatched to their human or ready to be released. I figured a way to feed her to were she wasnt inhaling any formula thru her nose (i researched quite a bit and was informed use puppy formula so i did). I have since then built her a pretty decent sized enclosure which i am steadily adding onto. I just want to know that I am doing everything i can do for her right.... BTW her name is bug!! She knows me very well is always excited to see me. Runs around on me constantly when i ket her out. Pees on my boyfriend thru her cage.... She just marking him because he never fed her as a baby and doesnt register thats her human??? She doesnt pee on me anymore. She attacked my bf first time he tried to hold her. She doesnt pee on my daughter or attack her due to my daughter had held her n tried feeding her a few times so she knows her as well. I put couple stuffed animals in her enclosure to play with n she seems to enjoy them emensly!!! And a plastic ball that has a bell in it. There are no holes n its way to big to fit in her mouth but she does enjoy batting it around. Is there any other toys i can put withher to play with. I play with her often as well so she has some kind of being interaction which she seems to love. She doesnt get rough with me but she does put her teeth on my fingers. Will she continue to play this nicely?? She also has 2 short ropes floor to ceiling in her enclosure n a long rope from side to side with a coffee can at an end for a little hide out... She never uses... She also has a forearm length cardboard tube for her nesting hole she constantly uses n loves. She has a good sized water bowl i change daily and a cat feeding water bowl dish.. It has two bowls but one side is for nuts other side is for veggies... Fruit... Anything that is a little moist that will yuk up her nuts. Otherwise she wont eat her nuts. She LOVES dandelion greens. Researched they were really good calcium wise for squirrels which is a give in since they r super good for humans. Is there anything else i can give her food wise from outside??? Like plantain?? She also has a stick to naw on for her teeth... She needs a new one soon what is the best tree to retrieve one from?? Since i plan on building onto her enclosure what are some ideas... I plan to build a tall one with a post in the middle so she can climb at height n also adding rope stretching out so its like branches.... Yes i am trying to spoil her!!! I got her a ferret harness she doesnt like and can slip out of.. Where can i get one she cant?? We acquirred a new dog as well that i wont let her out around until they know each other better.... Will she get used to the dogs we do have and them get along??

Default Re: Just some random questions..

On the squirrel nutrition page near the top is a thread about a healthy and safe diet for a squirrel, as for the dogs, try to keep them away if they are hunting dogs. What kind are there and what size? Sorry I was gonna answer earlier but I'm busy

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Floppysquirrel04 from:

Space_It (06-20-2017)

Hi!

Welcome to TSB!

First off, stop the nuts and get her on a good rodent block. Here's a very very good place to start as most love these. You'll probably have to start with Pickey Eaters since she's gotten so many nuts already http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/ Keeping her on the fruit/nut diet will lead her down the painful route of MBD which is pain, pain, more pain, paralysis, and slow death in that order. Here's some good veggies/wild foods/fruits to give! http://www.henryspets.com/healthy-di...pet-squirrels/

Most squirrels don't bond well to other people. They will become one person squirrels (there are the very rare exceptions) and attack pretty much everyone else. This will only get worse as she gets older and during mating season.

As far as dogs, I wouldn't trust any animal whose instinct it is to chase and catch other critters around the squirrels. I've learned from experience when I say that. I had a baby squirrel get killed (that was in a bin on top of a 4 ft tall counter) by a 12 year old, deaf, arthritic small dog who was too small/frail to get onto the counter. I don't know how it happened, but I will NEVER trust another dog around my squirrels unattended again. If she could do it, ANY dog can do it.

As far as toys/cage gear, some of our members make some AMAZING stuff!! It's all I decorate any of my caged animal's homes with (squirrels, rats, chinchillas, ferrets). Forget the Petsmart/Petco crap, this stuff is quality and HANDMADE!!

Harnesses are kinda controversial - most squirrels will shred you if you attempt, though you do get the rare one that does accept it. I don't know what/how those people do it though.

Also...
    We LOVE pictures!!

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DarkLies212:

cava (06-20-2017), island rehabber (06-20-2017), Space_It (06-20-2017)

They r all mixed... 2 r bigger dogs 1 is a smaller dog. The two bigger dogs are used to beingaround small creatures n r very well behaved. She got out once n they did not chase her at all. The smaller dog has never shown interest in her but she is the new family member. Her enclosure has small hole fencing so they have always hung out nose to nose smelling each other. I have allowed her to climb on just me as my daughters dog 1 of the bigger dogs sat by me. The other big dog is my fathers dog. I have her out of her enclosure shut in my room for the first time with my daughter n i. She is overly enjoying it running alll over us n my bed. My room is bigger so she is taking it piece by piece.

The older she gets the less she is eating the nuts. They r more there for a snack. I keep her fruits n veggies area stocked thru the day n feed her dandelion greens atleast 3 times a day. She tends to wait specifically for those before even thinkin about snacking on her nuts. She is quite attatched to me. Seeking me out in her enclosure a lot. She is partial to my daughter. Doesnt climb on her or show a lot of interest but doesnt go after her either. My bf on the other hand any chance she has gotten she sprays him from inside her enclosure or attacks him. She hoards her stuffed toys in her nesting hole tho... Idk how to add a picture tho!!!

Even with the veggies and fruits, she needs block. It's the only way to prevent MBD. The fruits/nuts (which should be limited to 1-2 a day)/veggies don't have enough vitamins to keep them as healthy as in the wild. When they're running in the trees, instinct tells them what they do and don't need. While they're in our care, they're at our mercy for nutrition.

Here's a guide by a member here for photos
    TRY this---

Click on paper clip icon-
    Click on ADD FILES ( upper right)--
    Click on BASIC UPLOADER-- ( for multiple pictures )
    Click on CHOOSE FILE ( find picture(s) you want)--
    Double click on picture--
    if you want to add another photo--Click on "+" box--
    Click on CHOOSE FILE ( no file chosen) it is directly above your first file selected--( max of 10 photos per post)
    Click on UPLOAD--
    Now you will see your selected files along the bottom.
    REMEMBER to place your cursor where you want the photos to appear in your message.
    Click on INSERT INLINE--
    Click on SUBMIT REPLY--

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

cava (06-20-2017)

I am using my cell phone. I dont have a computer that has internet access atm. I have a desktop i took the wifi chip out of due to i dont want viruses being loaded to it since it has all my pix n videos of my daughter since birth. N i have a laptop but my sisters mother stole the power cord n i dont have wifi here at home yet. So all i got is my phone and it asks for url image.... Idk if its different but i see no paper clip anywhere...

What kind of phone do you have? I have a Galaxy and I'm unable to upload pictures, but I know people with Apple devices have been successful

I have an lg. It will let me do it if its url but idk how to even do that...

When it asks for a url, there are two tabs at the top of that box. One is to upload from a site and gives you the url slot, the other is to upload from your computer. Click that tab and it will give you the option to upload from your photo album on your phone. HTH!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

cava (06-20-2017)

Hi. I don't use this forum on my phone, but when you are typing in the box, look up at the toolbar and you will see a square with a tree in it, next to a film strip. Click on the tree square and it will ask if you want to choose a photo from the computer or a url, choose computer and select photo, upload photo, and hit preview post if you want to see how it looks before submitting post. Again, I don't know if this works on a phone.

How old is the squirrel. If she's very young still, she may not be able to break open the nuts. If they have salt they aren't good for her either.

I second the motion of never, ever letting the dogs loose around the squirrel. No matter how nice or well behaved they are, they are genetically wired to chase and chomp. They can't help it. Even a playful paw stomp can break a small back. Totally not even worth it. (I think anyone who has seen a dog kill a kitten, ferret, squirrel when the dog was so nice just one second ago will tell you this.)

I can't wait to see a photo of your cutie!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

island rehabber (06-20-2017)

I have that tree icon but it doesnt give me an option of anything but url. Which sucks cuz i would love to show a picture of my Bug!!! I dont necessarily let the dogs around her when she is out free roaming running around my room. I locked them out. From past experiences i know dogs can do the unexpected. But i have allowed her to climb on me n my daughters dog sit by us. She never touched the ground or was never on the side of my body he was at. I kept me between them cuz i am overly paranoid of loosing my Bug. She fell out of her enclosure once due to her bedding making it slippery and thankfully my dads dog is a service dog n very well behaved did not go after her. But i was curious if other people on here have allowed their pets to mingle with their squirrel due to videos i have seen of people allowing that. Also as i have raised coons (much bigger yes i know) they tend to be able to play well with dogs depending on their size. Bug being as small as she is i wont allow the dogs in or around when i have her out running freely. Her harness she is not fond of n i try it on her once in a while but will not force her to wear it. I dont know exactly how old she is. I got her she had hair n a scrawny tail was sleeping constantly n was not able to eat on her own i was up every 2 to 3 hrs feeding her thru the nights. About a month ago she finally started eating on her own. She stays away from her nut pieces (no salt added i check all ingredients of everything i buy for her). She eats a variety of fruits n veggies. But she still does not eat any of those things till later in the day cuz she knows i will go outside n scavange for dandelion greens n clovers n other wild plants that i have researched to make sure they r good for her. She is not overweight n has a very clean amazing coat of fur n her tail is not patchy at all its fluffy n full of fur. I check her teeth daily to make sure they r not over growing. She has a stick she chews on which i was told is one of the best to use due to thats what they use a lot inthe wild. I have kept track ofwhat thesquirrels outside eat n play with and experiment with her. That is how i got the stick she likes. I have tried rocks n shells she loves her stick n ignores the others i have gotten her. She is a very active critter and shows no signs of being in pain. If there are any signs of anything its mainly over excitement when she sees me in general or sees me with greens in hand or my daughter with greens in hand.

I do have the food pyramid saved on my phone so i have a better idea with all my other food pyramidish pictures for squirrels. When i got her i did extensive research on how to care for them as i was taught when i was younger. Easier with internet access but still go to the library n check stuff out!!Name:  0620171421.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  100.4 KB i think i got pic to go.... Wel see....

Yes, it worked! Well, she sure is adorable. Did you build your own enclosure? What's the plan, keep her as a pet?

I released mine so I know very little about keeping one except that diet is everything, especially a good rodent block, and that their cage should be taller v. longer so they can climb and be up high.

I'm sure others will chime in and give you much more info.

Name:  0506171955.jpg
Size:  79.0 KB
    This is when i got her. Would of been around begining of may..... So its been a little under a month that she has been eating food on her own. Just seems like longer cuz she is so much bigger!! Also im pregnant so time is going by super fast or seems to be when its really not lol!!

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Space_It:

cava (06-20-2017), Nancy in New York (06-20-2017)

My father n i built her enclosure. At the time it was quite large for her. But now she is getting bored in there n needs a taller one so i am going to add onto it. So not only will it be taller it will be more room. I got plenty of rope n an old barn pole that i will be using for a center climbing post. Ill be using the rope to make artificial branches so she can have more climbing n jumping room.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_It View Post
    I do have the food pyramid saved on my phone so i have a better idea with all my other food pyramidish pictures for squirrels. When i got her i did extensive research on how to care for them as i was taught when i was younger. Easier with internet access but still go to the library n check stuff out!!Name:  0620171421.jpg
Size:  100.4 KB i think i got pic to go.... Wel see....
    Sorry if you've already answered this, but is that wood shavings in her cage
    if so, what kind?
    Many of use use Carefresh, it's the absolute best. OR lots of fleece, which
    I always do.
    The Carefresh is underneath the lower floor (wire floor over it).
    Such a darling little one you have there!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

stepnstone (06-20-2017)

Bug is adoreable! .

You must listen to the great advice you have been given about providing a good quality rodent block. There are several to choose from. I will list the names. The first two choices seem to be well liked and both must be purchased online. Henrys Healthy Blocks from HenrysPets.com and Harlan Teklad 18 from The Crafty Rat or any other online source with best price, have both been accepted very well by my squirrels. At PetSmart, Petco and Pet Supermarket you can find Oxbow Regal Rat, maybe Zupreem and Mazuri rodent block. These three I have had less success with my squirrels liking.

Dr. Emerson who loves and treats squirrels recommends that a good quality rodent block be 75-80% of a captive squirrels diet. The remainder is healthy veggies, which it sounds like you have researched and found some good ones.

It is imperative that your squirrel get some sunlight, as well. She must be monitored if you put her in a small cage outside so she doesn't overheat. Provide some shade and water. She will need the sunlight to assimilate the vitamin D for her bones.

It sounds like she is still young. Are you still providing formula in a bowl? My girls are about 4 months old and they still drink formula from the bowl. I intend to continue to offer it for as long as they will take it. It is the best insurance against Metabolic Bone Disease.

Please keep us updated about your little sweetie. And tell the boyfriend that he just needs to "step away" from Bug. . It sounds like she will never warm up to him and squirrel bites hurt like H***!

26. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (06-20-2017), Ekorre (06-20-2017), Nancy in New York (06-20-2017)

I have cedar chips in there which was recommended by someone who had squirrels in their past. I dont have a wire floor for her. Its cedar chips over plexiglass covering the bottom of her wood eclosure. She has her enclosure right in front of a wi dow that gets sunlight majority of the day. Most her enclosure is open to sunlight n part of it is not so she has her shade area and an open area. So she for sure gets plenty of sunlight. I made sure she was in the best window for it n it does not get blinds or any kind of cutains hung in it so she for sure gets the light. N then i made sure to keep some of her enclosure covered so she has her shaded area. Her attatchment will be practically open n in the window space as it is a bay window. 4 windows but her enclosure takes up two windows. So here soon it will take up the whole bay windows. I tried to give her formula but she wouldnt take it. I left a small bowl in n she would rather have the water then the formula so i no longer have it in her enclosure. She tends to get mad n push bowls or plates around if they r in her doorway or in her way at all. So i try n limit the number of bowls or plates in her enclosure. She seems to be extremely happy and very healthy so far. She has a beautiful coat that she keeps clean her enclosure is always clean if not she lets me know. Her food n water dishes r cleaned daily every morning anywhere from 6 to 8. Thats when she wakes up n does hott laps to grab my attention or just stares at me lol. The only issue i think im running into is her growing to big for her enclosure which i am in the midst of building the addition. And making a daily habit of ketting her out to roam my room for a few hrs a day when i am home. The dogs r not fond of being locked out of my room but they will live!!

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Space_It:

cava (06-20-2017), Nancy in New York (06-20-2017)

OK that's what I thought it might be.
    Cedar chips are NOT recommended as they can
    cause respiratory problems.
    Why not try Carefresh, I really think you will love it.

Good thinking about keeping her away from the dogs!