Thread: Seeking Forever Home For 7-weel old Red Squirrel in New Mexico

Default Seeking Forever Home For 7-weel old Red Squirrel in New Mexico

Hello! I am searching for a loving forever home for a 7-week old male red squirrel. I have brought him so far, got him over pneumonia, and he is doing well, bright and chipper. Only issue is he has problems with his right arm. He cannot walk on it, but uses his right hand to eat. Wildlife rescue here in New Mexico said that if it was a break, it would have healed by now. He has no visible signs of a break and the arm looks aligned properly, but who knows. Wildlife rescue here said they could not help him, and would put him down! This little guy has come so far, and deserves a chance. I really need to find him a loving home or sanctuary, as I have cats. I appreciate any help! Thanks so much!!

Default Re: Seeking Forever Home For 7-weel old Red Squirrel in New Mexico

Hi and thanks for helping him! Do you have a photo you can post, or better yet, if you have YouTube and can post a video to there and link to it, that would be better so folks could see exactly what you mean.

What are you feeding the little guy? Where did he come from?

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

DarkLies212 (06-20-2017), lennysmom (06-19-2017), Mel1959 (06-20-2017), SammysMom (06-19-2017)

7 weeks is mighty young to asssume he'll never regain use of his arm. Maybe Gabapentin? I have cats and NR squirrels. Just need a safe zone. He'll be on formula for at least another month. Hopefully you'll see improvement. Good to start asking around tho.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

kcassidy (07-02-2017), Mel1959 (06-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Hi and thanks for helping him! Do you have a photo you can post, or better yet, if you have YouTube and can post a video to there and link to it, that would be better so folks could see exactly what you mean.

What are you feeding the little guy? Where did he come from?

Thanks for responding! You sent me a private message, do you know that? I don't mind, but this won't show up in your thread about him and you may want that exposure if you are seeking a forever home for him.

Also, someone may mention a good bit of advice that I may have forgotten, if it is in the thread. Just hit reply at the bottom of page, after the last comment and go from there.

I am dying to see his behavior as one of mine had a messed up arm when she was very small but eventually grew out of it and was released this spring.

You can see video links in my thread: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=Basil

Also, goat milk is ok for a temporary milk, but it would be better for him to be on Esbilac Pupp formula (with preand probiotics). Feed 5-7% of his body weight in grams. For instance, 50 g x .05 = 2.5 mL. Ask if you have more questions about that.

About the food, he has to be on appropriate formula, THEN eating rodent blocks regularly, THEN he can have one or two veggies introduced. But his main diet will be 70-80% rodent block and the rest veg/fruit/nut. So he HAS to be eating it. Also it's nutritionally sound. Check this out. (NO NUTS at this time, or he will be addicted and a total ass and never eat anything healthy again. :-)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Ok, I've thrown a lot at you. Here's a recap:

1. kitchen gram scale (Walmart, amazon)
    2. Esbilac puppy formula (pet store, walmart usually)
    3. Breathe, do the best you can and enjoy your time with him.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dorianne:

Chickenlegs (06-21-2017), Mel1959 (06-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorianne View Post
    Thanks for responding! You sent me a private message, do you know that? I don't mind, but this won't show up in your thread about him and you may want that exposure if you are seeking a forever home for him.

Also, someone may mention a good bit of advice that I may have forgotten, if it is in the thread. Just hit reply at the bottom of page, after the last comment and go from there.

I am dying to see his behavior as one of mine had a messed up arm when she was very small but eventually grew out of it and was released this spring.

You can see video links in my thread: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=Basil

Also, goat milk is ok for a temporary milk, but it would be better for him to be on Esbilac Pupp formula (with preand probiotics). Feed 5-7% of his body weight in grams. For instance, 50 g x .05 = 2.5 mL. Ask if you have more questions about that.

About the food, he has to be on appropriate formula, THEN eating rodent blocks regularly, THEN he can have one or two veggies introduced. But his main diet will be 70-80% rodent block and the rest veg/fruit/nut. So he HAS to be eating it. Also it's nutritionally sound. Check this out. (NO NUTS at this time, or he will be addicted and a total ass and never eat anything healthy again. :-)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Ok, I've thrown a lot at you. Here's a recap:

1. kitchen gram scale (Walmart, amazon)
    2. Esbilac puppy formula (pet store, walmart usually)
    3. Breathe, do the best you can and enjoy your time with him.

Thank you so much for the info! I know about the nuts, and that they are like candy to them! No worries, I won't give him nuts yet. Will get the formula as soon as I can. I have been ill, and am broke, but will get this as soon as I am able. Which block food have you had most success with? I can probably get it in 1 lb amounts to start, until I get on my feet. Again, thank you so much!

I have had good luck with Henry's Healthy Blocks which can be purchased from Henry's Pets online and also with Harlan Teklad 18, which also must be purchased online. Search for the cheapest place. You can feed Fox Valley 20/50 formula instead of Esbilac to your squirrel and it can be ordered from Henry's Pets too. Henry's charges a flat 5.99 shipping fee, so it might be cheaper to go the Fox Valley route instead of Esbilac.

Check out "Wee Companions"--it's an adoption service for pocket pets but they also supply Harlan Teklan rodent blocks for an amazing price in small quantities. You can get the HT 18 for less there than any other place I've found. They only ship on Saturday so order before noon if you don't order till Saturday. I usually get mine on the next Monday--sometimes Tuesday.

Many thanks, Chicken legs! Appreciate the advice! :-)

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Dorianne from:

Anne (06-24-2017)

It is always my pleasure helping fur babies! Have him on Esbilac now and he is doing great! I will have baby squirrel block from Henrys soon, as I just ordered. Thanks so much to all!!! :-)

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dorianne:

cava (07-01-2017), Chickenlegs (07-01-2017), lennysmom (07-01-2017)

Thank you all for your support! He is doing great! Loves the Esbilac!

That's great news Dorianne.

I didn't know there were red squirrels in New Mexico. Toas is an interesting place. I have a friend that LOVES Toas.
    I've never been there.

Hi there! I do believe SHE, ( just realized I have a Rockette, not a Rocky! ) is a red squirrel. Originally named her Rocky, as she had a rocky start, she's a fighter, and of course, the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon! She has mostly a blonde-red coat, with a little salt and pepper in there, with the light rings around the eyes. The squirrels here are smaller than the greys. She is a cutie! I have a question. Do you handle your squirrels with gloves? She has only bitten the gloves I use a couple of times, when hungry and ready to nurse, but I am a little wary! When she bit the glove, I told her no, firmly, and I think she got it. I know they are very smart. She is really good, but this is my first squirrel re-hab, and I am wondering, do they really bite as they get older? I am sure they would if startled, but she is handled ith loving care, so, I am just curious. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you, and thanks to all!!

Sounds like you have a healthy releasable baby squirrel. AAAAAAND sounds like her forever home is in the trees--if her arm is working. Just needs some help getting there--and yeah--they bite

Just praying that her arm heals! Still pretty much the same, but, I won;t give up! There is still time as she is young!

Okay! I am pretty darn sure now, that I have a female rock squirrel and not a red squirrel! Any advice or input is appreciated! Thanks!

We would love to see a picture of your red rock squirrel.
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

PennyCash (07-06-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorianne View Post
    Do you handle your squirrels with gloves? She has only bitten the gloves I use a couple of times, when hungry and ready to nurse, but I am a little wary! When she bit the glove, I told her no, firmly, and I think she got it. I know they are very smart. She is really good, but this is my first squirrel re-hab, and I am wondering, do they really bite as they get older? I am sure they would if startled, but she is handled ith loving care, so, I am just curious. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you, and thanks to all!!
    Every squirrel is completely different. All are capable of biting and will if scared or have a nut to defend.

Mine were raised from eyes closed, and never bit me while feeding, but once they began to play, I got bit several times as their teeth grew in and they learned what they were for. I don't believe they bit me on purpose, but it did hurt, and as I overwintered them, had to, we worked through the biting stage (I calmly stated no), and they never bit again as release time was near. I was free to be around them the entire time without gloves.

That said, I don't know the history of how young you got your Rockette. Your little one might learn by your teaching, not to bite. I know many who use gloves. Go with your gut instincts and use the gloves if you know there is the potential for biting. Everyone has a different style of rehabbing, more hands on, or less hands on keeping them more wild. Hope that helps a little.

And back to the "all squirrels are different", I have befriended wilds to hand feed. Some have come so politely and graciously to take a nut from my hand, ones that I have never raised, and others storm in fast, and sometimes bite when they grab for a nut. All that to say, you'll have the best gauge of what personality squirrel you have.... :-) Then you can prepare accordingly. I chose to toss the nuts to the ones who haven't learned to control their teeth!

Thank you so much! She is getting better about the teeth, but I am still very careful! Boy, does she love to play and just like a puppy of kitten!!! I am hoping in time that she won't want to be so active with her teeth, although she hasn't bitten me, she does grab my fingers allot! I susspect that they "feel" with their mouths just like a puppy of kitten does. She is really sweet, and such a pistol! Thank you again for the advice!!

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Dorianne:

JLM27 (07-19-2017), Lighten-Up (07-19-2017)

PICTURES PLEASE!
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda