Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER injury?

Default Re: ANOTHER injury?

I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG!! At least I'm pretty sure what's caused the infection. Malocclusion.
    I was cleaning his nostrils and he opened his mouth wide.
    His bottom teeth are 1/4 (+?) inch long.
    I checked Nugget's teeth, and comparatively his are 1/16th" or roughly 1/4 the length.
    When the vet initially had said was a cavity where he thought his upper teeth had fallen out must be penetration of his lower incisors. I don't know if he can be saved at this point. Does anyone have any experience with a malocclusion before?
    One that's gone this far and this bad?
    I also want to point out that the veterinarian who has been seeing him, isn't the best one I've seen at the clinic. There are lots of doctors there and it's always a different one it seems. If someone can give me an idea how I might request a different vet without causing care quality problems (docs notoriously have rather large and easily bruised egos) I'd really appreciate it. But you'd have to respond right away since I'm on my way back to the clinic.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

Jen413 (06-22-2017)

1/4' is not too long if you are talking about teeth exposed all the way to the gums.

You can try using a nasal aspirator (basically a bulb like tool) that will physically suck out the discharge and mucus in his nostrils.

Put him on low heat pad if he is having trouble staying warm.

has 1 day shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TWRUHOQ?th=1

http://www.theemsstore.com/store/pro...iABEgLMD_D_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeculturegvl View Post
    I KNOW WHAT'S WRONG!! At least I'm pretty sure what's caused the infection. Malocclusion.
    I checked Nugget's teeth, and comparatively his are 1/16th" or roughly 1/4 the length.
    When the vet initially had said was a cavity where he thought his upper teeth had fallen out must be penetration of his lower incisors. I don't know if he can be saved at this point. Does anyone have any experience with a malocclusion before?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Jen413 (06-22-2017)

I'd probably try to aspirate it too. Maybe the vet just couldn't tell because of the swelling? Hope he can be pulled out of the woods. He's very lucky to have someone fighting so hard for him!

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

I'd take a picture, but I'm driving and typing at the red lights. I don't know about the length 100%, what I can say is that they certainly do look like their long enough to be penetrating based upon what happens when he closes his mouth. I'm on my way back, and I was supposed to take him back anyway. So I'm just going to ask them to take another look. They took x-rays so maybe they can review those again. I appreciate the response. I really do. This is all just so and I'm already practically manic at this point. The good news, however is when I got home from the first vet visit, he was up and about comma energetic, and ravenous. He hasn't been able to break a nut or bite with his front teeth I noticed though.
    =TubeDriver;1223299]1/4' is not too long if you are talking about teeth exposed all the way to the gums.

You can try using a nasal aspirator (basically a bulb like tool) that will physically suck out the discharge and mucus in his nostrils.

Put him on low heat pad if he is having trouble staying warm.

has 1 day shipping
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TWRUHOQ?th=1

http://www.theemsstore.com/store/pro...iABEgLMD_D_BwE[/QUOTE]

I also want to point out that the veterinarian who has been seeing him, isn't the best one I've seen at the clinic. There are lots of doctors there and it's always a different one it seems. If someone can give me an idea how I might request a different vet without causing care quality problems (docs notoriously have rather large and easily bruised egos) I'd really appreciate it. But you'd have to respond right away since I'm on my way back to the clinic.
    I f you think the bottom teethhave punctured the top palate, have them trimmed and see what happens. They actually sound ok. They always look ridiculously long.

He has had too much trauma to make a decision on whether he is malocluded or not. Since he ihas so much swelling his top palate would be easily punctured.

What antibiotic have they put him on?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (06-22-2017)

Vet just examined him again and came to talk to me. He said the swelling is down markedly and can now see more of whats going on.
    Here it is:
    He agrees the teeth are too long and his jaw is offset a bit. So, most likely it IS a malocclusion and is the reason for the mystery infection. He is trimming his teeth now and we're going to continue his antibiotic treatment and clearing his nasal passages. He says it would just be the soft tissue penetrated at this point and he's more concerned about the infection reaching his brain.
    Vet says I now have an unreleasable squirrel that will need regular teeth trimming. (No surprise to me) At least he's a sweetheart squirrel.
    If that is the final assessment amd doesnt change again, I now need to start reading the posts about managing his teeth and having a permanent pet squirrel. Guess my son's old room won't be the anticipated craft room I wanted, but will be Grayson's.
    Back to a question I posed before. Should I consider keeping Nugget so Grayson has company, or does that not matter?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I am just leaving work. I was almost to my car in the parking lot but I just HAD to return to the building to say this. (needed a wifi signal ... on an iPad). If he is on Baytril, HE WILL DIE! SMZ/TMP isn't that great for the mouth either. He needs Clavamox and/or Clindamycin.

Sorry, I just had to say it. Vets LOVE Baytril but it doesn't work for a mouth/face/neck wound. OK! I said it. Now I'm going home.

11. 8 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

cava (06-22-2017), Jennefer (06-23-2017), JoanP (06-22-2017), Milo's Mom (06-22-2017), redwuff (06-22-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017), TubeDriver (06-22-2017), UDoWhat (06-22-2017)

Just bumping this up, HRT4SQYRL knows more about ABs than most vets/MDs. Baytril is a great AB but not for infections deep in the sinuses/mouth.

Those teeth look very *slightly* long, and the wear is uneven. He might need a couple trims but there is still the very real possibility that his teeth can reset (since he has both of his top teeth) over time and he might still be releasable. However, that process will take maybe ~two months inside to assess.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I am just leaving work. I was almost to my car in the parking lot but I just HAD to return to the building to say this. (needed a wifi signal ... on an iPad). If he is on Baytril, HE WILL DIE! SMZ/TMP isn't that great for the mouth either. He needs Clavamox and/or Clindamycin.

Sorry, I just had to say it. Vets LOVE Baytril but it doesn't work for a mouth/face/neck wound. OK! I said it. Now I'm going home.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

13. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

cava (06-22-2017), Jennefer (06-23-2017), Nancy in New York (06-22-2017), redwuff (06-22-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017), UDoWhat (06-22-2017)

Grayson is on zithromycin I believe the vet said, but I'll check the bottle when I get home.
    NUGGET was on the SMZ/TMP for sure, tho.
    I've already left, but curious... he's having some loose stools problem from the current antibiotic whatever it is. Would it be feasible to request a different antibiotic, as in the clindamycin, if his loose stool "doesn't resolve?" Wink wink nudge nudge
    That would be one way to get it without questioning his judgement 2 times in a row. Otherwise he doesn't have a follow-up appointment until next Wednesday

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I f you think the bottom teethhave punctured the top palate, have them trimmed and see what happens. They actually sound ok. They always look ridiculously long.

He has had too much trauma to make a decision on whether he is malocluded or not. Since he ihas so much swelling his top palate would be easily punctured.

What antibiotic have they put him on?
    I agree that the teeth are not too long. They don't look maloccluded to me. I have seen maloccluded squirrels, his teeth don't look like that. As Redwuff suggested, trim the bottom teeth and see what happens. Definitely too early to see if he will later be maloccluded due to the top teeth not growing in properly.

It is true that most Vets have no clue about squirrels. Maybe your Vet would consider a consult with Dr. Emerson, a FL vet, who works with squirrels and especially squirrel's teeth. He definitely needs to be on the correct antibiotic or he will die.

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Jennefer (06-23-2017), redwuff (06-22-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-22-2017)

Grayson is on zithromycin I believe the vet said, but I'll check the bottle when I get home.
    NUGGET was on the SMZ/TMP for sure, tho.
    I've already left, but curious... he's having some loose stools problem from the current antibiotic whatever it is. Would it be feasible to request a different antibiotic, as in the clindamycin, if his loose stool "doesn't resolve?" Wink wink nudge nudge
    That would be one way to get it without questioning his judgement 2 times in a row. Otherwise he doesn't have a follow-up appointment until next Wednesday
    It definitely is walking a tightrope with our vets...we have to be careful because need them...I feel your pain HRT definitely knows her stuff....along with many others here....from trial and error...testimonials from others...and extensive research just a tad bit proud of this group of friends

To deal with the loose stool you can give probiotics two hours before and/or after antibiotics are given this can be with yogurt or probiotic capsule opened and sprinkled in formula...or as I did recently...probiotics sprinkled in a little yogurt I got my probiotics from Walmart fairly cheap +/- 9.00 in foil sealed package...one capsule can be used for several doses this usually straightens up their tummies

Udowhat has a great suggestion....let Dr. E work it out
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Jennefer (06-23-2017), TubeDriver (06-22-2017)

Where in FL is Dr. Emerson? I'm in Gainesville (N. Central)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post

Maybe your Vet would consider a consult with Dr. Emerson, a FL vet, who works with squirrels and especially squirrel's teeth.

Hi coffee girl! Been keeping up on Graysons thread. Praying for a quick recovery. Dr Emerson is in Port Orange, just south of Daytona Beach. North of Titusville/New Smyrna. Prob 2 hr if that from you. Off I95 southeast of you. Well worth a trip. She is amazing! At the very least a consult.

22. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

cava (06-24-2017), Coffeeculturegvl (06-23-2017), Mel1959 (06-22-2017), Nancy in New York (06-22-2017), redwuff (06-22-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-23-2017)

I definitely think it would be well worth a drive or a phone call to Dr. Emerson. I think you will find her extremely helpful. I hope Grayson continues to improve!

24. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Coffeeculturegvl (06-23-2017), Jennefer (06-23-2017), Nancy in New York (06-22-2017), redwuff (06-22-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-23-2017)

I visit my mom in Port Orange regularly.
    Handy

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

Jennefer (06-23-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-23-2017)

I visit my mom in Port Orange regularly.
    Handy
    WOW!!! Look at that....Like it was meant to be! . Sending positive vibes you & Graysons way!

(do you ever sleep?!? )

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

Shewhosweptforest (06-23-2017)

Def go to Dr E. I am in Pasco Hernando area and can help with sub q and antibiotics. Never give up! Where there is life there is hope!

30. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to crazy4squirrels:

cava (06-24-2017), Chickenlegs (06-23-2017), Jennefer (06-23-2017), Mel1959 (06-23-2017), Milo's Mom (06-23-2017), Nancy in New York (06-23-2017), Shewhosweptforest (06-23-2017)

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Mel1959 (06-23-2017)

I'm reading the opinions on whether Grayson is maloccluded or not. Maybe the swelling was bad enough the teeth did pierce the palate
    *but*
    He has an INFECTIOUS illness.
    His sister, and nestmate, just showed up with the exact same symptoms, early presentation.
    Black, crusty nasal discharge, white eye discharge. And she let me handle her and wipe her nose- something she wouldn't have allowed even before I released her. I know because she almost took my finger off when I treated her for an eye scratch.
    I gave her a dose of Graysons antibiotic and for lack of an alternative put her in the aquarium with Grayson .
    His, I hope he really IS Grayson. He still looks nothing like my boy front to end.
    Nugget is in a different cage, but he and Grayson HAVE had brief contact. Don't know how easily this is transmitted, but would you agree he should be treated prophelactically?
    Miney is in pretty good shape still.
    Grayson is better, but still feels horrible.

Miney is chewing her way out of the aquarium lid. I need to put her in the wire cage with Nugget. He almost chewed out of the aquarium too.

This is RIDICULOUS how much trouble my troupe has gotten themselves into.

I'm reading the opinions on whether Grayson is maloccluded or not. Maybe the swelling was bad enough the teeth did pierce the palate
    *but*
    He has an INFECTIOUS illness.
    His sister, and nestmate, just showed up with the exact same symptoms, early presentation.
    Black, crusty nasal discharge, white eye discharge. And she let me handle her and wipe her nose- something she wouldn't have allowed even before I released her. I know because she almost took my finger off when I treated her for an eye scratch.
    I gave her a dose of Graysons antibiotic and for lack of an alternative put her in the aquarium with Grayson .
    His, I hope he really IS Grayson. He still looks nothing like my boy front to end.
    Nugget is in a different cage, but he and Grayson HAVE had brief contact. Don't know how easily this is transmitted, but would you agree he should be treated prophelactically?
    Miney is in pretty good shape still.
    Grayson is better, but still feels horrible.

Miney is chewing her way out of the aquarium lid. I need to put her in the wire cage with Nugget. He almost chewed out of the aquarium too.

This is RIDICULOUS how much trouble my troupe has gotten themselves into.
    Personally I would not put anyone in with Nugget.
    He's not sick and if this is something really contagious,
    that's not a good idea. We don't even know what we're dealing with.
    Do you have another alternative?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast