Thread: Almost Bald Patch on Chompers Rear

Question Almost Bald Patch on Chompers Rear

Hello, A few weeks ago I noticed an area on Chompers rear end was thinning. I moved the fur up with my fingers, to get a look at the skin...it was not red, just looked a little "dry". I thought maybe I just hadn't paid attention before, and that this was a normal thing "thinning fur on back end"?
    Today it is noticeable at a glance, I looked closer - and tried to get good pics. There is no redness on this spot. However, I did check out everything, and the other side, where his fur is normal - I did notice a red area, where he has probably been scratching....(kindof like a red little bump that would form on someone who is sensitive to a new detergent). He wanted to play, and I did not get the opportunity to snap a photo of the little bump.
    He eats: sweet potato, zucchini squash, yellow squash, broccoli, apples, and Henry's Picky Blocks. For treats - he gets pumpkin seeds, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, & walnuts.
    He has been eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom normally. (Although, I've noticed he gets mucous plugs more frequently - which I find when I notice he's taking a longer time to pee sometimes).

I have a special bulb that I use occasionally, to give him the benefits of sunlight, as he is an inside squirrel. Chompers will turn 8 years old in September, and I've had him since he was 3 weeks old.

He's not acting any differently - he will let me brush his fur up to look at the area...except when he decides he'd rather "play".

Oh - and I have not changed the way I launder his things - I use FREE *& CLEAR detergents, as always.

Thank you for any advice.

p.s. Since Late May - we have been extremely busy - and have spent many long weekends out of town.....is stress a possibility? ( He has a "sitter" - but I know it's not the same as his usual daily routine)

Thanks Again!

Default Re: Almost Bald Patch on Chompers Rear - Photos

Name:  IMG_8188.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  195.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_8187.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  161.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_8185.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  117.6 KBName:  IMG_8183.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  118.3 KBName:  IMG_8184.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  126.6 KB

Default Re: Almost Bald Patch on Chompers Rear

Hi Chompers,
    It sounds like you're doing a great job with Chomper. The diet looks like you did your research.
    Unfortunately, we rarely know what causes these bald patches. Being an inside squirrel pretty much rules some of those out. In the differential are things like fungus, mites, fleas, nutritional, molt, rub spots and many other possibilities. It could even be age related due to Metabolic issues we just don't understand.
    Some of the things that have been used are Revolution for externals parasites, boosting the protein in the diet, topical applications of anti-fungal creams, etc.

In this case, it doesn't appear to be nutritional or external parasites due to him living inside.
    It wouldn't hurt to rub an anti-fungal cream like miconazole or clotrimazole on the spot to see if it helps. These are OTC products.

I wish I had a definitive answer but we never do. It's basically trial and error.

Good luck.