Thread: Odd Behavior?

Cool Odd Behavior?

Hey All! I'm owned by an approximately 4 month old male Fox Squirrel, who Ive raised from about 4 weeks old. He's a sassy little muffin, but he just exhibits an odd behavior that I haven't seen anyone mention before. He grabs my hand & will hold his face between my fingers, totally still & with a TON of a pressure for a little guy. It honestly reminds me of like a baby teething & looking for relief with the pressure (obviously I know this isn't the case)

His teeth appear to be fine, plenty to chew on. He has Henry's Blocks, and get plenty of fresh veggies (and some fruits) with limited nuts. Any ideas what's with this behavior? I was thinking scenting- but this goes far beyond just rubbing his chin on me.

PS I was going to upload a photo but can't figure out how

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nchapman from:

cava (06-15-2017)

Default Re: Odd Behavior?

When you are typing in the text box there is a toolbar above with a square with a tree in it (next to a film strip). Click on the tree picture and you can upload a photo from your computer or a url.

I can't wait to hear what people say.

Here we go! I think because my account was new it didn't show the option to add the photos- Here's Finnigan
    Attached Images Attached Images    

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nchapman from:

cava (06-16-2017)

Hi there, I am not a expert. What you are described sounds to me like normal behavior to me. My boy does the same thing all the time. I love it too.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rexie from:

cava (06-16-2017)

No ideas??

Sorry, the only thing mine ever did to my hands was take things and smack them away.

Do you think he's trying to open your fingers with his head, or wants treats, or petting?

He is adorable. What are your plans for him?

Awww!! Yes my flyer does a similar thing when he thinks I have food are when we are playing. It's pretty normal

It's hard to explain, & I'm not smart enough to post a video, LOL

He knows I don't have food, but he wants his jaw/cheeks scratched & he'll just hold onto my hand to keep his face pushed up against my fingers. Strangest habit ever. There's no teeth issues, but it just reminds me of what a teething baby will do looking for relief. Just curious if anyone else had any experience with it.

So far the going plan is just to listen to him & see what he wants. He gets to go outside and play, but he's done climbing trees after about 10 minutes & then won't get back off me. He's not necessarily the most agile creature & does fall at least 2-3 times (which is when he gets upset & won't leave me).

I'm not exactly sure of his back story- I work at an elementary school & a group of 4th graders found him on the playground & were harassing him & throwing things at the poor little muffin. So I'm honestly not sure if he has a sight/depth perception issue or what's going on there. In the meantime, I enjoy having his little tasmanian self in my life
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi, I have a Foxer girl who does the exact same thing with the wanting her cheeks/ chin rubbed. She will cling to my hand, it really does seem to be fairly common (I believe). One person I know called it cheek ums I'll post some photos to see if they're what your explaining
    As far as the falling-possible sight problems I'm not sure if I'd want to release a squirrel that might have a sight problem. They really do need to be able to judge distances but I'm a big worry wart
    If you look at my fingers she's got a solid grip even while relaxed

I'm literally trying to disengage to show her face and she won't let go. Immediatelyafter this pic her face was back in my hand.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to PennyCash from:

cava (06-18-2017)

I agree, if this little one has a sight problem, I'm not sure I'd even take him outside. Obviously you're there with him and know his personality and whether he'd take off to the top of a tree or not, but I'd be very concerned about that. If he is falling while outside climbing that is a very big red flag. Typically squirrels don't fall when just climbing around. This little one is showing signs that he may not be able to be released or may not want to be released. If the kids were throwing things at him he could have suffered an injury to his head that may be permanent.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (06-18-2017), PennyCash (06-18-2017)