Thread: QUESTION FOR RELEASE REHABBERS

Default QUESTION FOR RELEASE REHABBERS

Experienced Rehabbers, question for you.

My squirrel babies are coming up on 14 weeks, approximately. I'm having trouble finding a local rehabber that can take them, wild them up, and release them properly. What I'm considering doing, and I'm hoping you all can give me your opinions, I am moving back to Oklahoma in about 6 months. I have property there with my family (about 20 acres). I have looked into import licenses and wildlife licenses and have considered applying for both and taking Scrappy and Joseph there to be released. In the meantime, because I am in an apartment complex, I thought I would get a very large birdcage to house them until it is time to move.

Is this a smart plan?

And as always, thank you! You all have never steered me wrong.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NikkiHall from:

island rehabber (06-14-2017)

Default Re: QUESTION FOR RELEASE REHABBERS

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiHall View Post
    Experienced Rehabbers, question for you.

My squirrel babies are coming up on 14 weeks, approximately. I'm having trouble finding a local rehabber that can take them, wild them up, and release them properly. What I'm considering doing, and I'm hoping you all can give me your opinions, I am moving back to Oklahoma in about 6 months. I have property there with my family (about 20 acres). I have looked into import licenses and wildlife licenses and have considered applying for both and taking Scrappy and Joseph there to be released. In the meantime, because I am in an apartment complex, I thought I would get a very large birdcage to house them until it is time to move.

Is this a smart plan?

And as always, thank you! You all have never steered me wrong.
    Wow...it's not a horrible idea, NikkiHall, but in my opinion keeping them caged for what is going to be almost another year is not the best scenario I would ever think of. What I mean is, six months from now it's December. You bring the boys with you to Oklahoma and there's snow on the ground so you need to wait until APril/May to release them. Basically, that's 11 months from today.
    We have wonderful members in Maryland and Virginia -- are you sure there isn't somebody somewhere who can release for you, now that it's summer and wonderful weather and the best time all year to release?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (06-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Wow...it's not a horrible idea, NikkiHall, but in my opinion keeping them caged for what is going to be almost another year is not the best scenario I would ever think of. What I mean is, six months from now it's December. You bring the boys with you to Oklahoma and there's snow on the ground so you need to wait until APril/May to release them. Basically, that's 11 months from today.
    We have wonderful members in Maryland and Virginia -- are you sure there isn't somebody somewhere who can release for you, now that it's summer and wonderful weather and the best time all year to release?
    We do have some wonderful members relatively close to you that I'm sure would be able to release.

That would be wonderful if there was someone close. I just assumed there wasn't. I posted about a week ago seeking someone and no one responded. Do you have anyone in mind?

And I wouldn't normally pressure you for a response, but I just ordered a large expensive home for them to reside in for awhile. They are currently inhabiting my entire closet and I need to relocated them before they do damage to the woodwork. Can you pass along some names soon? I will need to cancel the cage order.

And part of my concern is, they will need to most likely be soft released. And perhaps need some wilding up and they are still on formula. I haven't been so go about keeping distance. They have never met my dogs or my cats, but I have handled them often.

Thank you!