Thread: Still hanging on

aoyler Guest

Default Still hanging on

We have two rescues, Butch and Sundance. Butch suffered a traumatic injury sometime early last Thursday morning, and has lost the use of his hind limbs and tail. Through the forum I got great tips on emergency treatment, but I need to know when to stop giving him the ibuprofen. It has helped him tremendously and last night he actually moved one leg when I pinch tested it. Not much, but that was a glimmer of hope. Regardless, if he lives through this, he has a forever home with us and I'm already researching adaptive set-ups for him. Meanwhile, he was so shocky last week, that I offered him some scalded milk formula with vitamin E, calcium tab, and ibuprofen. He has taken to that just fine and has really perked up. We've moved him to a small crate where he can recuperate without stress. So how long to I keep him on the ibuprofen? TIA for your help!

Default Re: Still hanging on

Quote Originally Posted by aoyler View Post
    We have two rescues, Butch and Sundance. Butch suffered a traumatic injury sometime early last Thursday morning, and has lost the use of his hind limbs and tail. Through the forum I got great tips on emergency treatment, but I need to know when to stop giving him the ibuprofen. It has helped him tremendously and last night he actually moved one leg when I pinch tested it. Not much, but that was a glimmer of hope. Regardless, if he lives through this, he has a forever home with us and I'm already researching adaptive set-ups for him. Meanwhile, he was so shocky last week, that I offered him some scalded milk formula with vitamin E, calcium tab, and ibuprofen. He has taken to that just fine and has really perked up. We've moved him to a small crate where he can recuperate without stress. So how long to I keep him on the ibuprofen? TIA for your help!
    Did somebody dose the ibuprophen for you?
    Did you dose according to the weight of the squirrel?
    You should take him off of that now, since it's been almost a week, correct?
    How much were you giving him,
    and how often.
    They need to be fully hydrated anytime that meds are given or it can harm the kidneys.

Also please get him off of the scalded milk formula.
    This will NOT give him the proper nutrition, and we have seen
    many squirrels get MBD or die because of being on this formula. It's terrible.
    Please get him on Powdered Puppy Esbilac OR Fox Valley 20/50.

Do you have a vet that will see squirrels?
    I wonder if it's too late to try prednisone to help with the
    loss of use of his back legs and tail.

Cute names by the way! :hoot

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (06-14-2017), Mel1959 (06-14-2017), TubeDriver (06-14-2017)

aoyler Guest

I've raised several babies on the scalded milk formula, and yes, the ibuprofen was estimated by an experienced rehabber in our area, but she's out of town and I failed to find out how long to give it to him. So I'm assuming from your reply that I can put him back on his normal diet now. Someone on this board, in another thread suggested force feeding the formula with 400 ml of tums (per day) crushed in it. He has definitely perked up and is obviously feeling better. Our vet declined to treat him with a steroid, and has not seen him.

aoyler Guest

PS - I'm familiar with the symptoms of MBD and this is definitely not that, it is an injury. Thanks

Glad these little ones are getting help! Scalded milk really is not ideal, Fox Valley 20/50 or powered esbilac Puppy formula are SIGNIFICANTLY more nutrious than scalded milk. You can get the powdered Esbilac at any pet store place. Please give it a try, you will see faster weight gain, better looking coat, no worry about MBD (and no need to suppliment with additional calcium) etc etc!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

island rehabber (06-14-2017), Mel1959 (06-14-2017), Nancy in New York (06-14-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by aoyler View Post
    So I'm assuming from your reply that I can put him back on his normal diet now. .
    I simply said to get him off of the infant ibuprofen and off the scalded milk.
    I don't have a clue what his normal diet is, nor was it mentioned.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 06-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.