Thread: Raccoons

Default Raccoons

Not a squirrel but I figure small mammal rahabbers are somewhat universal... anyone know anything about baby raccoons? Their nest was a super high, hollowed out spot in a tree. I knew an adult was there because eyeballs ...and when an adult was found to be no more we checked the tree and discovered screaming baby. We struggle to get baby down... no luck, but then baby fell. I took said baby to a rehabber because coons aren't welcome in my yard because I have pet ducks. Tonight I had the bright idea that there might be more and sure enough... I now have two baby coons, covered in fleas and ticks and the rehabber is gone for the night. Their mother has been gone since the night before last. Is there anything I can do for them until I can get them to the clinic tomorrow?

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Meirby from:

SammysMom (06-12-2017)

Default Re: Raccoons

Warm and then hydrate with Pedialyte just like a squirrel. Thank-you for checking and helping them.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

cava (06-13-2017), Meirby (06-13-2017)

Might want to give them a bath in Dawn too to get rid of the fleas and ticks. Poor babies.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Meirby (06-13-2017), SammysMom (06-12-2017)

If you have revolution and/or capstan they can be used for fleas as well. Thank you for posting Pat! I thought it. Bit forgot to post it...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Meirby (06-13-2017)

i got them to pee some but I didn't push rehydration too hard because I don't have the proper stuff. I did bathe them off and have been relieving them of ticks. I pulled at least 20 out of one ear! Poor babies

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Meirby from:

cava (06-13-2017)

I have spent the last three hours ridding them of ticks. I have never seen so many! Mostly in their ears. The upside of it all... I learned that raccoons are horrific screamers and I am now positive I wouldn't want to rehab one even if I didn't have ducks! Lol thanks for all the input. Especially the bath. I already know there are stray fleas and ticks in my house now.. but hopefully it's minimal because of that suggestion and hopefully the gallon of spray I unloaded on my couch will take care of the rest

You may not have them anymore, but at our vet office we would have a cup of rubbing alcohol and put the ticks in there as we went, we would also flea comb and dip the comb in the alcohol ridding it of fleas and eggs, wipe it off to dry and comb again.

It's tedious but rewarding work. Thanks for helping!

Also, easy way to kill live flea is to roll the flat part of your finger or thumb nail over them on a hard surface. You'll hear them pop. They have hard bodies and can't be pinched to death.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Anne (06-21-2017), Meirby (06-13-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    You may not have them anymore, but at our vet office we would have a cup of rubbing alcohol and put the ticks in there as we went, we would also flea comb and dip the comb in the alcohol ridding it of fleas and eggs, wipe it off to dry and comb again.

It's tedious but rewarding work. Thanks for helping!

Also, easy way to kill live flea is to roll the flat part of your finger or thumb nail over them on a hard surface. You'll hear them pop. They have hard bodies and can't be pinched to death.
    That's basically what I did... gave them a quick bath with dawn. The fleas were nowhere close to the level of ticks... most of the adult fleas came off in the bath. Then I did tick removal... technically into a Dr Pepper bottle, not alcohol but they are dead today lol. I didn't use any chemicals on them, and we are heading to rehabber in about 10 minutes.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Meirby:

cava (06-13-2017), SammysMom (06-13-2017)

You did a great job!! Thanks so much for helping!

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

Meirby (06-13-2017), SammysMom (06-13-2017)

AND your rehabber will be SO grateful you took care of the vermin. Poor babies--sucked dry by fleas and ticks. I think mamas usually keep their babies pretty clean. Lucky little guys to have you!

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (06-13-2017), Meirby (06-13-2017), Mel1959 (06-13-2017)

It's a hard life out there for wildlife!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    AND your rehabber will be SO grateful you took care of the vermin. Poor babies--sucked dry by fleas and ticks. I think mamas usually keep their babies pretty clean. Lucky little guys to have you!
    Most of the ticks were down in their ears. They were hard to get out with needle nose tweezers... don't think it was an inactive mom, just really bad year for tics... plus these two were without mom for 2 days/nights by the time I got them. (And here I am defending a mama raccoon--I'm officially crazy!)

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Meirby:

cava (06-14-2017), SammysMom (06-14-2017)

Raccoon Mamas are the best mamas out there. Thats why baby raccoons need lots of interaction when they are in rehab. And when babies feel safe and happy they don't scream except when your feeding their sibling instead of them...lol. Thank you for saving these little guys.
    farm mom
    Md. Licensed Master Rehabber

Quote Originally Posted by farm mom View Post
    Raccoon Mamas are the best mamas out there. Thats why baby raccoons need lots of interaction when they are in rehab. And when babies feel safe and happy they don't scream except when your feeding their sibling instead of them...lol. Thank you for saving these little guys.
    I figured his screaming had a lot to do with being VERY hungry. He was on his third night without mom. The rehabber asked me not to start rehydration or anything so I respected the request. He also had DOZENS of ticks, especially down in his ears. I figured that alone was painful. Name:  IMG_1852.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  67.0 KBName:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  83.2 KBName:  IMG_1858.jpg
Size:  86.4 KBName:  IMG_1854.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  78.9 KBName:  IMG_1856.jpg
Size:  78.5 KB

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Meirby from:

cava (06-16-2017)

What's the status of these little guys? Did they make it to a rehabber? I hope they've gotten some food! It breaks my heart to think about them screaming because they are hungry.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

cava (06-18-2017)