Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help my flying squirrel is sick

Default Re: Help my flying squirrel is sick

I thought about something that might be helpful if your family doesn't eat vegetables.
    I know some buy a small container of assorted veggies at salad bars. It's very wasteful to buy heads of expensive salad greens and produce when he will only eat a thimble full. That way you can buy an assortment and not have so much waste. You can even throw in a little cheese. Of course, no dressing.

It's just a thought. Definitely buy some meal worms or wax worms. They can have cooked chicken also but mine don't care for it. Some people catch bugs for their flyers but I can't do that.

vledbetter88 Guest

Default Re: Help my flying squirrel is sickgrou

that makes a lot of sense he always loves to eat the cheese off of my pizza but he seem to also love the pepperonis how would ground beef be for him

Default Re: Help my flying squirrel is sickgrou

Quote Originally Posted by vledbetter88 View Post
    that makes a lot of sense he always loves to eat the cheese off of my pizza but he seem to also love the pepperonis how would ground beef be for him
    He can have meat. I would cook it though. I know they eat bugs and insects without cooking but processed things like ground beef and especially chicken need cooking first. I can't say that I know of anyone that feeds beef to a flyer but I don't see why not if he will eat it. Has he eaten it before?
    I don't think cured meats like pepperoni are a good idea.

I would provide calcium sources like a cuttle bone, antlers or a CritterCone which is an ice cream cone shaped calcium chew. You can get them online. I think they might be called Chilly Chews. My flyers really seem to like theirs.

I think Swoop needs more than a diet change. He needs calcium supplementation with the Tums in the MBD protocol.

Edit... Here is a link for the Chilly Chew. A single cone would literally last for the rest of their life.
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/s...FUIkgQoduR8Ptw

vledbetter88 Guest

he has my husband got him a mineral treat made out of calcium and the tums he ate half of the tums some avocado and orange he also just got a new ball that he can go into and walk around the rv without getting hurt

Balls are not very good for flyers, or any rodent with long claws. Their feet can slip through the holes and get stuck. And most of them don't like to be stuck one the ground. My flyer would freak out if I tried to put him in a ball.
    "Until one has loved an animal, part of one's soul remains unawakened."
    - Anatole France

"We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly
    perceive it to be - the mythologized epitome of a savage ruthless killer - which is, in reality,
    no more than a reflected image of ourselves."
    - Farley Mowat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 3