Thread: Young Sugar Glider

Empress Guest

Default Young Sugar Glider

A young sugar glider has come to us, and I was wondering if anyone here has experience with them. Do they get the same care as baby squirrels. We have raised 3 gray squirrels so far. do they eat the same formula? She is small, but climbing, has all her fur and eyes open. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Young Sugar Glider

I believe you have a flying squirrel.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jen413 from:

redwuff (05-31-2017)

Empress Guest

Looking at more pictures I believe you're right, she is a flying squirrel.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Empress from:

Jen413 (05-31-2017)

Oh yeah, that's definitely not a sugar glider, but a very cute flyer! How old is she and where did she come from?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Yep its a flying squirrel!!! if thats an adult wrist she (or he) is sitting on, its not that young based on her size. Can you post a pic of her from the side or above with her tail in it? You can usually tell if its a baby by the tail.

The diet is similar to grey squirrels with a few exceptions. They have higher protein requirements so we feed them meal worms or WaxWorms. Some will eat cooked chicken but my boys won't eat it. They also get mushrooms for Vitamin D. Other than this the diets are similar. The little guy needs a block. I use the Henry's pinkie eater block. I feed an assortment of veggies and a small amount of fruit. Nuts are limited. My boys get half an almond several times a week. (In the morning before they go to sleep)

I have older flyers. They have always been on FoxValley 32:40 so they have stayed on it. FoxValley 32:40 is no longer recommended at all. It has caused death due to the inability to digest it in young ones. With this in mind, the recommended formula would be either FoxValley 20:50 OR powdered Esbilac puppy formula with probiotics and probiotics.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Jennefer (05-31-2017)

Oh to answer your question about what flyers eat...they do eat the same formula, esbilac or fox valley 20/50. I use fv 20/50 with my flyers. She looks old enough to eat soilds....henrys healthy blocks (high protein one for flyers), broccoli, brussel sprouts, pea pods, grn beans, apples (no skin or seeds), grape, scrambled egg, sweet potatoes, meal worms or wax worms, whole fat plain or vanilla yougurt (no artificial sweetners or fat free). Just to get started. Theres many more veggies & fruits they can have. My older flyers that dont eat from syringe anymore still drink formula everyday from a shallow small dish ( you dont want her to fall in). Also water in small shallow dish or tiny lid. They need more protein than grays & calcium is really really important. Of course they'll eat nuts but its not good for them. I would stay away from the nuts until you know whats going on with her. I know some others feed rodent blocks or oxbow rat food (my guys wont eat it) but hhb is my main staple. One block per day per flyer. They are super tiny so they dont eat a ton & i cut stuff up small so they can hold it. Variety & moderation & balance is key. No peanuts or butters (choke hazard) or seed mixes, etc. If u feed her from a syringe, use 1cc & be VERY careful of aspiration.

Hows she acting? They sleep all day & are awake a night. She needs a pouch or some fleece to burrow in for daytime. She should be zipping around quick if shes healthy. These guys are fast!! Good luck & keep us updated. Any more questions, please ask!! Oh how i love these babies!

Empress Guest

He is doing well. From what I can tell he is 5-ish weeks old, not eating sold foods, but eating formula like a champ every few hours. Pretty much just sleeps and eats at this point, he's a little more active at night, but falls asleep shortly after eating. He has gone to the bathroom with stimulation after eating. Lots of fleece for him to burrow, but he is only really happy when he is being held by one of us. Adores curling up in our hand against our body.

My mother in law lives next door, we share a duplex, and she texted me to say she had a mouse in her house. We are the resident animal people so she called me over to help it outside and make sure it wasn't hurt by her cat. When I finally found him I knew he wasn't a mouse, and he took to me instantly, curling up in my hand to sleep, and I picked the few fleas he had off of him, like I did when we saved Imp. No idea how he got into her house, we checked very carefully and he has no injuries, and he is the only one found.

Will work on some more pictures. He's soooooo tiny.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Empress from:

Jennefer (06-01-2017)

Awe good! Sounds like you know what you are doing!! I used to keep my guys in my shirt (in my boobs)! They curl up with their tail over their face & go fast asleep. Make sure you are feeding him every 3-4 hours if hes only 5 weeks. And they still need to be on heat that young (half under the container/half off). No drafts. Give him some safe sticks or wood blocks to chew. They are very tiny. He sure looks older than 5 weeks. Thats right around when they open their eyes. Im posting pics of one of my guys at 5 weeks & some at 12 weeks.

Name:  20161215_163157.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  81.4 KBName:  20170201_215344.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  106.8 KB

BTW....that is so nice of you & your MIL to save him!! They are special little guys.

Empress Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jennefer View Post
    BTW....that is so nice of you & your MIL to save him!! They are special little guys.
    It has become our life, my fiancee and I, we seem to be magnets for animals in need. So far we've successfully rescued and rehabbed 3 squirrels(will be 4 now), one who was paralyzed. Getting ready to release the newest one (aside from the flyer). Also 3 bunnies, which were all released, a kitten(who literally wouldn't hurt a bug), a couple birds that didn't make it, and a chipmunk that died in our hands before we could do anything for it. Cats are awful. I am in school to be a Veterinary Technician and my fiancee is a Biochemist. Helping animals is our life. And as a life-long squirrel lover, being able to help them, and interact with them is a dream come true.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Empress:

Jen413 (06-02-2017), Jennefer (06-02-2017)

That is awesome!! Animal people are special peeps!! Cats arent bad...just dont mix well with squirrels. As a vet tech, your gonna see a lot of cats!!

Keep us updated!! Or if you have any questions at all...let us know!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.