Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey new to Forum, just got baby squirrell have question about eyes

Default Re: Hey new to Forum, just got baby squirrell have question about eyes

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    You have come to the right forum. Please listen to this advice. NO KMR!!!!!! This is a perfect baby. KMR will make him sick and will eventually kill him. After a few weeks on KMR you will begin to see head bobbing, long bones begin to grow curved and a host of other problems. KMR is not the proper nutrition for your little one. Zak, we have seen this all before with finders who feed the wrong formula. If you can't provide for this baby even though you love it and want to help, you should find someone who knows how to raise him. He should be raised with other babies. Baby squirrels are hard to raise. I know! I have raised 100s of them. They take all your time and a lot of your money. They must be fed every 3-4 hours. They need a strict schedule. You can't feed just whenever or whatever. You really need the correct supplies. The proper formula, the proper syringes, a gram scale, fleece, antibiotics and a Vet who sees squirrels. Most will not help you because it is illegal to raise wildlife in your state without a license to do so. That is just for starters. For the next 4 months you will need to be home to feed every 3-4 hours. If this sounds like something you want to do then read what others have suggested for you. If you would like us to help you find someone to raise this little one then we can help you do that too.

Glad you found TSB. This is an incredible squirrel forum. Good luck.
    Thank you i just bought him embilac now just waiting on Fv to arrive and i have everything elce u guys recommended, im willing to do this for the next 4 months and longer, my intention were mever to keep.him but to hopefully relwase him someday, but if i even jave the slightest thoughtim puttin him in danger or hes not impolroving i will get him help immediatly, i left him for 2 hours after i found him a short distance away lwft my phone with himand played baby squirrels crying for their mother like I had read online before I even touched him moved him but no one came for him. The way I look at it as if I didn't help him he would already be dead and I would love to help others in the future so I know he deserves the best and I should bring him to a rehab but I do want to make a difference and help him if I can and others if the opportunity arises I've also am looking into a another baby squirrel around his age to be his buddy so they can learn off each other I know what it takes and if I had the slightest thought that I couldn't do it he would already be at a center but I know I can do this especially with your guy's help and I appreciate it. and yes it is illegal to own in my state. Amd only reasons im takong a chanve with him is because i saved my pitbull from dying 3 times just by seeong how his emotion changed even in the slightest ways he changed i knew something was up, I really want to keep him and I love for you guys to help me and I am taking all your advice in thank you so much guys I appreciate it sincerely Zak and I will be giving you guys updates thank you

Btw its only been 24 hours of Kmr so i dont think its to late do u? I found him at 2pm EST and dint bring him hime until 4pm, all he got from me tgat day was warmth and pedialyte, it wasnt until yesterday at about 6pm i got the KMR which the lady at the store gave me for free becuasw shw said they wee out of puppy replacment and she really wanted to help, along with her confidence in giving it to me and the videos online i saw a cat rasing a squirrel of its oqn milk i thought it was ok, i was wrong i will not give him anything until.i run it by this forum

In the last picture you can see a little slit opening in his eye lid. He will open his eyes in the next 24 hours. He is about 4 1/2 - 5 weeks old. Is it a boy or girl? Most finders aren't sure. Post a picture of it's belly and we can tell for sure.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

Zak617 (05-27-2017)

In the last picture you can see a little slit opening in his eye lid. He will open his eyes in the next 24 hours. He is about 4 1/2 - 5 weeks old. Is it a boy or girl? Most finders aren't sure. Post a picture of it's belly and we can tell for sure.
    Hes deffinitly male and it litarrly looks loke hes trya open them now
    Attached Images Attached Images   

If he's getting his top teeth he's about 4 weeks old. I say "about", as every baby is an individual. As to what to feed him till the Fox valley gets there, when you go to the grocery, look with the evaporated milk. Often you'll find Meyenberg goats milk--evaporated or packets. Maybe the rehab center would let you have some formula to feed until you get the FV. Or maybe there's someone from TSB near who can share supplies. You absolutely want the 1 or 3 cc syringes. The large ones are hard to control when he sucks hard. I have to put some layers of fleece between the heatingpad and bin to keep the bottom of the bin from getting too hot--then lots of fleece for your baby to bury himself in. What a beautiful little treasure you have. If you need help, ASK! The folks here are passionate about squirrels. I'll add this too--not that you aren't an angel for caring for a little orphan squirrel--but we had a tragedy recently because someone wasn't willing to work with a community that has raised THOUSANDS of baby squirrels. It's easy for these guys to go downhill for a variety of reasons--aspiration, dehydration, diarrhea--and when they do, there are protocols that have to be followed to the letter. If you get in trouble, let us help. Let someone with years of experience save your baby. Sometimes that means giving him into more capable hands. Everybody here admires your dedication to a little miracle in a fur suit BUT please keep personal feelings personal. The priority is your baby and if someone says something strongly, it isn't slur or a slam, just the same thing you want--a little squirrel who grows up healthy. Did I miss his name? Thank you for caring. Lord knows we need more caring people. And oh YEAH--BOY!!!!!!!

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Ekorre (05-26-2017), JoanP (05-29-2017), Nancy in New York (05-26-2017), Rockysmom (05-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Zak617 View Post
    Btw its only been 24 hours of Kmr so i dont think its to late do u? I found him at 2pm EST and dint bring him hime until 4pm, all he got from me tgat day was warmth and pedialyte, it wasnt until yesterday at about 6pm i got the KMR which the lady at the store gave me for free becuasw shw said they wee out of puppy replacment and she really wanted to help, along with her confidence in giving it to me and the videos online i saw a cat rasing a squirrel of its oqn milk i thought it was ok, i was wrong i will not give him anything until.i run it by this forum
    He will be fine if only on KMR for 1 day. But he could get diarrhea. Please don't start out on full strength formula. You have to slowly transition the formula starting out with 1/4 strength formula for 2 feedings then 1/2 strength for 2 feedings, then 3/4 strength formula for 2 feedings and if no diarrhea develops you can then begin full strength formula. You don't want to cause diarrhea. It can cause dehydration and that can be life threatening if not cleared up quickly.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

JoanP (05-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    If he's getting his top teeth he's about 4 weeks old. I say "about", as every baby is an individual. As to what to feed him till the Fox valley gets there, when you go to the grocery, look with the evaporated milk. Often you'll find Meyenberg goats milk--evaporated or packets. Maybe the rehab center would let you have some formula to feed until you get the FV. Or maybe there's someone from TSB near who can share supplies. You absolutely want the 1 or 3 cc syringes. The large ones are hard to control when he sucks hard. I have to put some layers of fleece between the heatingpad and bin to keep the bottom of the bin from getting too hot--then lots of fleece for your baby to bury himself in. What a beautiful little treasure you have. If you need help, ASK! The folks here are passionate about squirrels. I'll add this too--not that you aren't an angel for caring for a little orphan squirrel--but we had a tragedy recently because someone wasn't willing to work with a community that has raised THOUSANDS of baby squirrels. It's easy for these guys to go downhill for a variety of reasons--aspiration, dehydration, diarrhea--and when they do, there are protocols that have to be followed to the letter. If you get in trouble, let us help. Let someone with years of experience save your baby. Sometimes that means giving him into more capable hands. Everybody here admires your dedication to a little miracle in a fur suit BUT please keep personal feelings personal. The priority is your baby and if someone says something strongly, it isn't slur or a slam, just the same thing you want--a healthy squirrel who grows up healthy. Did I miss his name? Thank you for caring. Lord knows we need more caring people.
    I was thinking about naming him Bad Larry

He will be fine if only on KMR for 1 day. But he could get diarrhea. Please don't start out on full strength formula. You have to slowly transition the formula starting out with 1/4 strength formula for 2 feedings then 1/2 strength for 2 feedings, then 3/4 strength formula for 2 feedings and if no diarrhea develops you can then begin full strength formula. You don't want to cause diarrhea. It can cause dehydration and that can be life threatening if not cleared up quickly.
    Ok good to know and btw when i brought him home he had diarrhea but after the pedialtye it becaome little solid droplets hes only had diareah one more time since then but itnwas only alittle

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Only there are no bad squirrels!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Only there are no bad squirrels!
    I mean bad in like u a bad mam a jamna

Yes ... a boy! And ...Yes .... we have eye slits!

I mean bad in like u a bad mam a jamna
    Hahaha--I kinda knew what you meant darlin. I'm old but not THAT old

Your little one is really skinny.
    I know you just got him, so we'll change that.
    Make sure to get a scale, and feed the correct amount
    according to his weight.
    Here is a little one of mine that just opened her eye
    yesterday, and her other one today.
    See the difference in size?
    The next time I feed I will get a belly shot.

Edit: What sized syringes did you order?
    If you pm me your address, I can get some FV formula in the mail,
    and some syringes. I will ship them out tomorrow, but you won't get them
    until Tuesday with it being a holiday.

17. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (05-26-2017), redwuff (05-26-2017), SammysMom (05-26-2017), UDoWhat (05-26-2017)

Re: my 5 week old squirrel as pneumonia

I did. Thank you. It's too late, though. She stopped breathing. She's gone. It happened so quick. She was thriving! A few hours later, she's dying.

Zak please read this thread. The above was taken from a post just today at 6:26 pm. These finders first posted at 5:24 pm today. The above post is at 6:26 pm. This is how fast it happens.

2 week ends ago. I tried to help another person who thought they knew how to raise a baby squirrel too. They assured me if they "THOUGHT FOR ONE MINUTE" that they couldn't do this they would take him to a center. The baby died the next day. I am sorry but this is not as easy as you think. You just don't know enough yet to do this. I can't watch this happen again this weekend.

19. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

island rehabber (05-26-2017), JoanP (05-29-2017), Nancy in New York (05-26-2017), redwuff (05-26-2017), Rockysmom (05-26-2017), SammysMom (05-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Your little one is really skinny.
    I know you just got him, so we'll change that.
    Make sure to get a scale, and feed the correct amount
    according to his weight.
    Here is a little one of mine that just opened her eye
    yesterday, and her other one today.
    See the difference in size?
    The next time I feed I will get a belly shot.
    Thanks and wow hes reallu tiny

Edit: What sized syringes did you order?
    If you pm me your address, I can get some FV formula in the mail,
    and some syringes. I will ship them out tomorrow, but you won't get them
    until Tuesday with it being a holiday.

Wow he is really tiny thanks that helps here the recipt ill try tind a picture of it its the one one the web site for squirills and when ive bee feeing him its droo to the roof of his mouth,and let him finish first and only.kreongoing ifnhes begging by continuing to try and suck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: my 5 week old squirrel as pneumonia

I did. Thank you. It's too late, though. She stopped breathing. She's gone. It happened so quick. She was thriving! A few hours later, she's dying.

Zak please read this thread. The above was taken from a post just today at 6:26 pm. These finders first posted at 5:24 pm today. The above post is at 6:26 pm. This is how fast it happens.

2 week ends ago. I tried to help another person who thought they knew how to raise a baby squirrel too. They assured me if they "THOUGHT FOR ONE MINUTE" that they couldn't do this they would take him to a center. The baby died the next day. I am sorry but this is not as easy as you think. You just don't know enough yet to do this. I can't watch this happen again this weekend.
    Not to sound rude or non-understanding i get it but how elce will i learn if never do it and it kinda sou ds out like he left something out and i have a heating pad, and watch him move nack and forth from cold spot to hot spots, he gets my undivided attention right now i was already on a months vacation from work i watch him every second, im not doing this just ti have a cute animal i Have 5 dogs, a yellow lab, a pit that thinks hes a lap dog, 2 yorkies, and a Maltese. Im haveing cuteness iverload everyday!! So dont thinkim doing this to kill time or anything like that plus im a liscense growers for dispenserys and u know how east it to kill a plant? All im saying is i think the person messsed up a bit and maybe left some stuff out and prob took to long and did all yhe wrong things at first, ive done everyrhing right for larry since i found him other then the KMR which someone said might of beenu thatit wont be a problem i jist order all this stuff spent over 50$ ale
    Reasy and im okay with that but i am investedin this animal, but i appriciate ur help regardless but i want to take care of this one since he is shiwing so much inprovemnet, and as promissed i will get help immediatly im 5 mins from a vet in a car. 20 on foot.can u actually link me that post your talkong about. And once again he wpuld most deffinitly be dead already if it wasnt for me

Not to sound rude or non-understanding i get it but how elce will i learn if never do it and it kinda sou ds out like he left something out and i have a heating pad, and watch him move nack and forth from cold spot to hot spots, he gets my undivided attention right now i was already on a months vacation from work i watch him every second, im not doing this just ti have a cute animal i Have 5 dogs, a yellow lab, a pit that thinks hes a lap dog, 2 yorkies, and a Maltese. Im haveing cuteness iverload everyday!! So dont thinkim doing this to kill time or anything like that plus im a liscense growers for dispenserys and u know how east it to kill a plant? All im saying is i think the person messsed up a bit and maybe left some stuff out and prob took to long and did all yhe wrong things at first, ive done everyrhing right for larry since i found him other then the KMR which someone said might of beenu thatit wont be a problem i jist order all this stuff spent over 50$ ale
    Reasy and im okay with that but i am investedin this animal, but i appriciate ur help regardless but i want to take care of this one since he is shiwing so much inprovemnet, and as promissed i will get help immediatly im 5 mins from a vet in a car. 20 on foot.can u actually link me that post your talkong about. And once again he wpuld most deffinitly be dead already if it wasnt for me
    Sorry done ranting, but hes in good hands, i have alot of expieranve with animals, so its not like im a 18 year old that found a squirill and feedding him milk out the fridges and otger foolish thing, i handle him with such delicacy, and if he dies he dies? Its bevause i got him to late if everything u guys are telling me to do work nothing should be wrong right? But to make u happy i will have them do a chek up tomorrow only if they agreee to give him back after the check-up bit being that its illegal in mass i havent made the decision yet, and if any of this cones off as offensive to u i do not mean it, im just saying. What did u do with ur first squirril u adventually took one in and took care him.. it would be a shame for me to just give him up and learn nothing from it

Also inst it true theres way more grey squirrels then like the ecosystem newd i was reading that grey squirrel carry a disease that kills all red fox squirills with in 2 weeks, and that is why there a population decrese in res fox squirrels

Sorry done ranting, but hes in good hands, i have alot of expieranve with animals, so its not like im a 18 year old that found a squirill and feedding him milk out the fridges and otger foolish thing, i handle him with such delicacy, and if he dies he dies? Its bevause i got him to late if everything u guys are telling me to do work nothing should be wrong right? But to make u happy i will have them do a chek up tomorrow only if they agreee to give him back after the check-up bit being that its illegal in mass i havent made the decision yet, and if any of this cones off as offensive to u i do not mean it, im just saying. What did u do with ur first squirril u adventually took one in and took care him.. it would be a shame for me to just give him up and learn nothing from it
    Hi Zak617. It sounds like you are really trying and want to help your baby. I'm new at this, too. My little man is about 13 weeks old now. I made a couple of mistakes in the beginning because I'd never done this before and he ended up having the early signs of Metabolic Bone Disease! Finding this site and these people are what saved my little baby. Please listen to all the advice being offered by these people! They KNOW what they're talking about and can guide you every step of the way and help you to save your little guy! Don't hesitate to ask them for help. I know it's stressful and sometimes confusing but trust in what they are telling you!! Good luck to you and your baby!

25. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rockysmom:

JoanP (05-29-2017), lukaslolamaus (05-26-2017), Zak617 (05-27-2017)

Feeding

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast