Thread: Formula suggestions

Anderson2017 Guest

Question Formula suggestions

Hi, I found two baby squirrels from the same litter about a week ago. I have been caring for them with with help of an expert and member of the squirrel board who lives in my area. Together we have made a great team and my babies are doing great. They are about 6 weeks old now. Currently they are on esbilac puppy powder formula mixed with 35% lactose free whipping cream and vanilla yogurt as recommended by experts. I have found some research that says fox valley formula is better for them. I am wondering if I should order some and switch the formula gradually or continue feeding the esbilac until they no longer need formula? They are also being fed every 5 hours. 2, 7, 12, 17, 22. They were drinking at least 5% of their body weight with each feed but in the last two days they seem to have slowed down eating at the 22 and 7 o'clock feeds. I am wondering if maybe I should start feedings them 4 times a day instead of 5 now that they are older and getting more chubby.

Default Re: Formula suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson2017 View Post
    Hi, I found two baby squirrels from the same litter about a week ago. I have been caring for them with with help of an expert and member of the squirrel board who lives in my area. Together we have made a great team and my babies are doing great. They are about 6 weeks old now. Currently they are on esbilac puppy powder formula mixed with 35% lactose free whipping cream and vanilla yogurt as recommended by experts. I have found some research that says fox valley formula is better for them. I am wondering if I should order some and switch the formula gradually or continue feeding the esbilac until they no longer need formula? They are also being fed every 5 hours. 2, 7, 12, 17, 22. They were drinking at least 5% of their body weight with each feed but in the last two days they seem to have slowed down eating at the 22 and 7 o'clock feeds. I am wondering if maybe I should start feedings them 4 times a day instead of 5 now that they are older and getting more chubby.
    I was suggested by other board members to do a 50/50 mix Espilac/FV for my little one and she did VERY well on it until she weaned herself! Loved it.

They also told me that as long as they're eating that 5-7% on a regular basis, and are gaining weight all should be fine. Does she have any Henrys blocks yet? I would maybe introduce that to her and she if she is interested in nibbling on that.

I did end up slowing down my feedings to every six hours around the 8 week mark, and then to 3 times a day around 10 weeks bc she was eating her blocks and "salad" as well as formula.

If you switch to, or add the Fox Valley be sure to get the 20/50 and NOT the 32/40. I am a fan of the half Esbilac and Half FV 20/50.

Here is a good "guideline" on feeding (see "Chart 2"):
    http://www.squirrelrefuge.org/feedin...uleamount.html

I only used Esbilac with my last two babies. I know some do mix FV and Esbilac but I never did. I never added anything to the Esbilac either. One was released years ago and the other is now 10 months old and doing great. I think if your babies are doing well then I would probably not change them if you don't have to. Of course I'd listen to the more experienced over me.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

Anderson2017 Guest

For some reason today neither of them seem very interested in drinking their formula. Before today they were drinking their 5-7% but today they are hardly drinking any. Every other day they have been excited for their feedings. I don't have past experiences to go off of so I don't know it this is a normal behavior or not. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can encourage them to eat more?

Anderson2017 Guest

Also I have introduced them to the rodent block. But they seem to be more interested in playing with it then chewing on it.

I took over the care of three 6-7 week old squirrels and they weren't very psyched about the straight Fox Valley formula, so someone suggested transitioning them to Esbilac/goats milk formula combo. I did and they started eating much better. I kept them on that for a few weeks and have just recently phased out the goats milk formula and substituted FV with Ultraboost instead. So they are on the FV/Esbilac combo and are doing well.

As for the rodent block, they still shred quite a bit, but are eating more and more of it each day.

Drop down a feeding and they will be interested. It is time to do that!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

I recently was given a 5-6 week old male Mookie when I went to the vet to get antibiotics for 13 month old Ziggy.

Mookie drinks the F/V 20/50 voraciously. He certainly makes Henry's block disappear, although hard to tell just how much is ingested and how much is merely reduced to tiny bits. I suspect he eats a fair bit, however, as after these were introduced he drinks somewhat less F/V.

Ziggy is a special needs squirrel, and I still give him F/V 20/50 3x daily to help balance his nutrients.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.