Thread: Lethargic squirrel has balance issues, not jumping

Nancy W Guest

Default Lethargic squirrel has balance issues, not jumping

My squirrel that I rescued as a baby in early March has been doing really well until yesterday, when she became lethargic and didn't have any energy. Today she is even more lethargic and is off balance. She is still eating and drinking, urinating and pooping. She eats the squirrel blocks and chews regularly on her antler, so I don't think it's a calcium deficiency. I did give her the rolaids emergency treatment, just in case. All she wants to do is sleep, and when she does hop around, she looks like she's in pain. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: Lethargic squirrel has balance issues, not jumping

She may have twisted or sprained something in her cage, and it will take a day or so for her to feel better. This is not uncommon. I also gave you my recommendation (via PM) that you do the MBD Protocol even though you don't think it's MBD; it won't hurt her and could save her from a far more serious situation.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Nancy in New York (05-26-2017), stepnstone (05-27-2017)

Nancy W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    She may have twisted or sprained something in her cage, and it will take a day or so for her to feel better. This is not uncommon. I also gave you my recommendation (via PM) that you do the MBD Protocol even though you don't think it's MBD; it won't hurt her and could save her from a far more serious situation.
    Thank you! She seems to be a little better today.

What are you doing for her? What squirrel blocks are you feeding and what formula did you feed her?

I would love to see a picture of your precious girl!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Nancy W Guest

I'm giving her Henry's squirrel blocks for baby squirrels. She is off the formula now, but she was on Esbilac. I'm also supplementing with calcium, just in case she has MBD. (I found out I was feeding her too many nuts. She is completely off nuts for now.) I think she is about 17 weeks old. I haven't loaded my pictures to my computer, but will do it later today and post a picture.

Nancy W Guest

She seems to be in a better mood today. She is getting plenty of calcium because her feces are a kind of powdery color. She is eating Henry's blocks, broccoli, cauliflower, an occasional grape or blueberry, and the calcium supplements. She is still very weak and looks like she is in pain when she hops. She is asleep on my lap now and seems content. I guess I will keep doing what I'm going and hope she gets better. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!

Nancy W

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy W View Post
    She seems to be in a better mood today. She is getting plenty of calcium because her feces are a kind of powdery color. She is eating Henry's blocks, broccoli, cauliflower, an occasional grape or blueberry, and the calcium supplements. She is still very weak and looks like she is in pain when she hops. She is asleep on my lap now and seems content. I guess I will keep doing what I'm going and hope she gets better. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
    Nancy W
    MBD cripples, MBD kills!
    How you are administrating the calcium is just as important as the need. Personally I would be following the mbd protocol to restore her calcium levels and give her some liquid infant Ibuprofen to help her with pain. Managing her pain is just as important to healing. If you can provide a weight or at least a picture for an educated guess we can tell you how to dose the Ib.
    MBD Protocol
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...dated-3-31-09)
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy W Guest

Okay, I am going to try to upload a picture. Her name is Sandy. I will also try to weigh her on a food scale.

Thank you!

Nancy W

Nancy W Guest

Name:  IMG_3237.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  108.0 KB

This was taken this afternoon. According to my food scale, she weighs 1 lb, 6 oz

Nancy W Guest

Name:  IMG_3237.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  108.0 KB
    The second picture was taken last Wednesday, when she was doing great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nancy W Guest

Sandy was moving about quite a bit this morning outside of her cage, but she is not jumping yet. She likes to cuddle next to my neck, and today was the first day she did this since she started feeling bad. She is still sleeping most of the day and still has a weak back right leg. She is getting her calcium doses plus squirrel blocks and lots of healthy foods (no nuts). I'm still concerned about her. If anyone has any additional advice, please let me know. I'll keep treating her with the calcium.

Thanks!

Nancy W Guest

Also, does anyone know of a veterinarian in the Dallas area who treats squirrels? I would love to let someone look at her, but am a bit nervous about it since she is considered wildlife. Thanks.

Hi Nancy,

You have such a beautiful girl. Please listen to the folks here. MBD is deadly and in the most recent picture you shared, Sandy looks like she is feeling quite badly. I understand that she seems better since you have started the MBD Protocol. There are two things that are really important to know.

#1. Just because she seems to feel better and looks good on the outside does not mean she is healed on the inside. Calcium has been leached from her bones and for the next several weeks she is at great danger of hurting herself from jumping or falling. I would keep her in a small cage without letting her out, no matter what she says for several weeks after starting treatment.

#2. Follow the whole protocol. DO NOT STOP THE TREATMENT EARLY! Like I said, and everyone too, MBD KILLS. You were really smart and saved your beautiful girls life, maybe for a second time. Please be careful she is fragile. Go the course with the treatment.

Trysh

I will PM you two vets names?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

17. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Chickenlegs (06-02-2017), UDoWhat (05-31-2017)

Sandy was moving about quite a bit this morning outside of her cage, but she is not jumping yet. She likes to cuddle next to my neck, and today was the first day she did this since she started feeling bad. She is still sleeping most of the day and still has a weak back right leg. She is getting her calcium doses plus squirrel blocks and lots of healthy foods (no nuts). I'm still concerned about her. If anyone has any additional advice, please let me know. I'll keep treating her with the calcium.

Thanks!
    Sounds like you got it!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Nancy W Guest

Red face Re: Lethargic squirrel has balance issues, not jumping

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with Sandy! She is MUCH better today! She is active, and she is beginning to use her right foot again. She even tried to scratch herself with it! Her tail is not nearly as limp as it has been.

Nancy W

Thanks to everyone who has helped me with Sandy! She is MUCH better today! She is active, and she is beginning to use her right foot again. She even tried to scratch herself with it! Her tail is not nearly as limp as it has been. Nancy W
    This is good to read, what you are seeing is evidence her calcium levels were compromised.
    Keep up the protocol! ~ Feed and make sure she's eating a healthy diet.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

UDoWhat (06-02-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 2