Thread: Injured wild red squirrel...

squirrelpants Guest

Question Injured wild red squirrel...

Hi everyone! I'm Kat! I'm new here!

I have a wild squirrel we named Sofie. She disappeared during mating season a couple months ago, I didn't think anything of it.

She came back to our home last Sunday all injured She won't put weight on the left front paw (though she can hold seeds and climb trees).

Her right eye was closed for a couple days, now it's open and swollen. I don't think she can see?

Her little ear almost torn as well but that's healing up.

I am giving her seeds, fresh water, and bits of bread (she's loved that since she was a kid). I can't get close to her at all, she's still very wild.

We called and our zoo said they could take her in but we couldn't capture her so figure it's just up to me.

I have to keep cashing the Magpies away from her so she can eat in peace .

Hubby is worried about her becoming dependent on us for food. I don't tend to feed squirrels at summer because they bury the seeds in my inlaws planters. Sofie is just eating, not hiding seeds, so I don't care what they say :P

Any ideas on whats up with her? I'm doing as best I can plus we have really limited income to top it all off.

Thanks!

Kat

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelpants from:

Default Re: Injured wild red squirrel...

Hi Kat,

Welcome and thankyou for helping this little girl. It is a hard life out there for them.

A picture would help us to assessed condition easier. She might need an antibiotic. Besides, we have never seen a Finnish red. Although I just saw a Finnish Spitz last weekend.

It is a good sign that she will hold seeds with it and use it to climb trees.
    Trysh

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

squirrelpants Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Hi Kat,

Welcome and thankyou for helping this little girl. It is a hard life out there for them.

A picture would help us to assessed condition easier. She might need an antibiotic. Besides, we have never seen a Finnish red. Although I just saw a Finnish Spitz last weekend.

It is a good sign that she will hold seeds with it and use it to climb trees.
    Trysh

Hi! thanks! I agree, poor little things

Thanks! I'll add her picture. It's obvious she's got an eye infection or something going on. Her paw is better and she's eating and drinking well but she's impossible to catch. We don't have wildlife rescue really here so unless she gets sicker it's impossible .

Thanks!
    Name:  DSCF5198.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  120.7 KB

She must be a baby. My original Sofie came by a couple days and she's fat and happy as can be. I call this one Sofie too since she seems used to it.

Thanks for checking this out!

kat

squirrelpants Guest

Name:  fart.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  96.2 KB

A normal healthy Finnish squirrel, this is the original Sofie.

kat

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelpants from:

Nancy in New York (05-28-2017)

Wow, both are astoundingly beautiful! Those ear tufts!
    Thank you for wanting to help Sofie II. She does look either juvenile or very skinny, or both. As redwuff said, if she is using the paw to hold food and climb there really isn't much you need to do for her. The risk here is infection -- either in her eye or paw, and for that you would need an enrofloxacin-type antibiotic, preferably (Baytril, Orbax, etc).

So exciting to see a new species of squirrel here for us -- keep those pix coming!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

squirrelpants Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Wow, both are astoundingly beautiful! Those ear tufts!
    Thank you for wanting to help Sofie II. She does look either juvenile or very skinny, or both. As redwuff said, if she is using the paw to hold food and climb there really isn't much you need to do for her. The risk here is infection -- either in her eye or paw, and for that you would need an enrofloxacin-type antibiotic, preferably (Baytril, Orbax, etc).

So exciting to see a new species of squirrel here for us -- keep those pix coming!
    Thanks! I love the furry ears too, it's so cute! Some of them lose them at summer, some not. We had a squirrel named Frankie and he was incredibly fluffy all summer long!

Thanks! I'm glad she comes to us, she's such a sweet baby and I didn't want her to be hungry and in pain.

Thanks!

Here she is today. The eye is less crusty and she can see a bit from it.

Her fur looks great and she's putting on a bit of weight it seems. I bought peanuts so here's hoping she'll like them

Thanks again for the help!

Name:  sofsof.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  114.1 KB

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to squirrelpants:

island rehabber (05-30-2017), redwuff (05-31-2017)

Your squirrels are adorable! Love those ears!

Thanks for taking care of them and trying to help.

If you can buy some unsalted nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds) and give them some slices of ripe avocado (no pit or skin) that would be much healthier than seeds, peanuts, and bread. Peanuts are not recommended for a variety of reasons. They might even like a bit of cauliflower, broccoli, apple, etc.

Here's a chart you might find useful:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

The chart says "pet squirrels", but it's a good general guide for squirrel nutrition. Wild squirrels can eat more nuts than those in captivity because they know how to balance their diets and are not solely dependent on humans for food.

Hope that eye continues to improve!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

island rehabber (05-30-2017)

squirrelpants Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorre View Post
    Your squirrels are adorable! Love those ears!

Thanks for taking care of them and trying to help.

If you can buy some unsalted nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds) and give them some slices of ripe avocado (no pit or skin) that would be much healthier than seeds, peanuts, and bread. Peanuts are not recommended for a variety of reasons. They might even like a bit of cauliflower, broccoli, apple, etc.

Here's a chart you might find useful:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

The chart says "pet squirrels", but it's a good general guide for squirrel nutrition. Wild squirrels can eat more nuts than those in captivity because they know how to balance their diets and are not solely dependent on humans for food.

Hope that eye continues to improve!
    Thanks! They are, I love the babies All are my babies lol!

Thanks for the chart! She loves apples!

True! Sofie disappears for days at a time and comes back the same weight so I guess she's eating pretty okay.

Thanks!

Kat

squirrelpants Guest

Name:  sofsof.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  125.3 KB

Update! She disappeared for about 4 days. She's still the same weight and has an INCREDIBLE appetite. She ate 3 handfuls of seeds, 1/2 of an apple, and about 1/4 slice of bread. Drank her water and went for a nap.

Her eye has turned to cloudy/white though and I'm concerned. She isn't messing with it and I don't see any pus or drainage. She seems to be feeling much better than a couple weeks ago, very energetic too.

So hopefully she's healing up soon!

Thanks!

Kat

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelpants from:

gunpackingrandma (06-03-2017)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.