Thread: Flea control

Question Flea control

Is it safe to use Viper Insecticide Dust [Active Ingredients: Permethrin 0.25%] or Sevin Dust [Active Ingredients: Carbaryl] for flea control on a 14 week old Fox Squirrel? If not what is the best dust to use. At this point I have not actually seen any fleas, my little Foxie just is scratching more and more and I know she would not stand for a bath in Dawn Dish Soap which is what I use on my dog.

Default Re: Flea control

I would NOT use that on your baby. You really don't need to do anything if you are not seeing fleas. If you are worried, you can use A SINGLE drop of kitten Revolution on the back of his neck.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Grinderhead (05-25-2017), rmorgan (05-26-2017), stepnstone (07-28-2017)

For fleas, we have had good success using lemon essential oil. You put 5-6 drops in warm water, then rub this all over your baby squirrel, then wrap them up in bedding with a heating pad so they are warm. The fleas will "flee" within a fairly short time. We usually do this on the porch, then leave the bedding outside as it now has fleas.

We have also experimented with apple cider vinegar, which also worked well.

My special needs squirrel Ziggy got mange when he was a few months old. We combined neem oil and coconut oil - 5-7 drops of neem oil in 50 drops of coconut oil. This cleared up the mange quite quickly, and had the added benefit of keeping fleas away. Since Ziggy's outdoor time is crawling around in the grass (always with one of us right by him, as he would get picked off otherwise), he is going to be exposed to fleas, mites, fungus, etc. So, we give him a neem oil massage at least once a week, and he is free of pests. Ziggy quite enjoys the neem massage, by the way.

Note also that coconut is anti-fungal. We had stopped the neem oil massage last winter for a bit, and he ended up with bald spots under both armpits which seemed fungal. So, we resumed the neem/coconut to deal with that, and it worked. (Thanks, Lighten-Up, for reminding me of the coconut for fungal issues.)

So, given that neem and coconut seem to handle everything, we did not use lemon with new arrival Mookie.

Also note: Per our vet's suggestion, with fleas it can help to give the squirrel's belly a gentle scrub with a toothbrush to get rid of eggs.

5. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

island rehabber (07-28-2017), JoanP (05-27-2017), Lighten-Up (05-28-2017), rm9329 (09-23-2018)

ChristineFulton Guest

For a 14 week old Fox Squirrel, I don't think that Viper Insecticide Dust or Sevin Dust will be beneficial because sometimes it leads to less than satisfactory results obtained and fleas spend only 10% of their time on an animal, and if a single flea bite to a hypersensitive animal it may cause intense itching and irritation. So, if you want to get rid with these fleas, it is best that you should get into contact with a Flea Exterminator NYC service. For successful flea control, the home, pet and oftentimes, the yard must be treated. Yet the manner in which these treatments are performed by flea pest control service can greatly influence the results.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 11-17-2018 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Removedl link to company advertising, not allowed.

JustinPatterson Guest

Thank you for the information. My brother's pet is also surviving the same. This would help.

DexterThompson Guest

I would advise you, rather than trying it on your own, it will be better if you get in contact with the expert pest control team. This is because, as being an expert, they have better knowledge about the pest extermination, no matter whether it is a termite or a flea, they can make you home inner environment free from pest.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 03-23-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Removed adertising link; not permitted on TSB