Thread: Baby Possie...Advice Needed.

Default Baby Possie...Advice Needed.

A couple of hours ago I found a 69 gram baby opossum in the yard. I thought it was dead but once in my hand it began to move ever so slightly. As he or she warmed it-got much more active and began to explore the inside of my warm sweatshirt. I've done squirrels but not a Possie. Any advise? As far as formula I have the Esbilac with probiotics. Any advice welcome. I know how we all love pictures but I don't know how to post a picture off my iPhone. Hopefully my son can help me when he gets home from school.

Default Re: Baby Possie...Advice Needed.

Please make sure there are no others around. Also they play dead when they are approached. So be sure his Momma is not nearby.

Last night when the girls left work at 10PM we saw a baby also. Made sure he was OK as he too looked weak at first until he hissed at us with those tiny teeth! We looked around and saw another one in the stone wall so we left them alone and sure enough there were more a while later then they went under the shed. More then likely Momma was under there teaching them how to be big Opossums.

I must say they were so cute and fun to watch from afar!!

OH Sorry but I am not sure how to feed them hoping someone with more knowledge comes along soon.

I have looked for others......There was a dog barking in the yard around 4 in the morning I suspect that's when this little one got separated from mom. I will continue to look around for more.

Just found two more.....one dead and the other alive.

I think I know where mom is......The neighbors dog was just going crazy by our deck..... about 25-30 yards from where I found the babies. He's been locked in the house for now. Anyone had any luck reuniting mom and babies?

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by JPlagg View Post
    I think I know where mom is......The neighbors dog was just going crazy by our deck..... about 25-30 yards from where I found the babies. He's been locked in the house for now. Anyone had any luck reuniting mom and babies?

I've never heard of it, but I would see no reason why it could not be attempted. Sadly, they aren't great Moms...when a baby falls off, they just keep going. If Mom is cornered (under your deck) as long as the baby's can walk and are hanging on Mom as opposed to being in the pouch, they should be able to walk over to her and climb back on. Just be sure to confirm Mom is there and did not get out through some other access point, I'd sure was heck try to reunite.

Just make sure it's a positive sighting of Mom.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Mel1959 (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
    I've never heard of it, but I would see no reason why it could not be attempted. Sadly, they aren't great Moms...when a baby falls off, they just keep going. If Mom is cornered (under your deck) as long as the baby's can walk and are hanging on Mom as opposed to being in the pouch, they should be able to walk over to her and climb back on. Just be sure to confirm Mom is there and did not get out through some other access point, I'd sure was heck try to reunite.

Just make sure it's a positive sighting of Mom.
    Dog still says something is there. My son attempted to look but couldn't see anything. Hard to see around a corner.

No more babies found. I just messaged the Lowell Farm and Wildlife Center. They are only about 45 minutes from me and I heard about them here on TSB. I'm hoping she will take them. They are so darn cute but they will have a better chance with someone who knows what they are doing. Maybe I can even volunteer over there and watch them grow.

As of 11 this Morning the two Opossum babies were placed in the care of Sjana Gordon @ the Lowell Farm and Wildlife Center in Lowell Michigan.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to JPlagg:

HRT4SQRLS (05-27-2017), Milo's Mom (05-27-2017), Nancy in New York (05-27-2017)

Everything I've heard about her is wonderful.
    I follow her on FB.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

JPlagg (05-27-2017)