Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injured 2 yr old wild grey - Need help to provide pain relief

Default Injured 2 yr old wild grey - Need help to provide pain relief

Hello ,
    I have an adult squirrel who is injured (front paw possibly broken) and he seems to be in a lot of pain. He does not stand straight, can't hold food with his injured paw, his arm is swollen, he is limping and his tail stays down. The front leg is the worst, but it is obvious there is more going on. He is also missing a patch of fur. I suspect a possible fight or attack.

Pretty Boy is a squirrel we released 2 years ago. Right now, he is back in the nest box where he was released. The box is sitting on top of the release cage. At the moment, I would rather not trap him and cause him any unnecessary stress. He can rest in the box and I provide food and water. What I need help with is pain relief. I have Prednisolone at home (5 mg) and if need be, I have a friend who could give me Tramadol and Metacam.
    What is the best course of action and what dosage would he need? I estimate his weight at around 600 gr. Ideally, once a day med would be the most practical, since he is not in captivity.

Please help if you can.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Default Re: Injured 2 yr old wild grey - Need help to provide pain relief

I would put him in RC if at all possible. He is very vulnerable. Most of the time these prior releases really relax once they know they are in safety.

I would give tramadol, Metacam, and an antibiotic for possible broken bone/tissue injury. Baytril is what our vet says to use for broken bone. Do you need dosing?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

DixiesMom (05-21-2017)

Would not give tramadol unless contained. Please get him in he sounds like he is in horrible shape.

I just watched Dixies tribute with UDoWhat, we are both bawling.....

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I would put him in RC if at all possible. He is very vulnerable. Most of the time these prior releases really relax once they know they are in safety.

I would give tramadol, Metacam, and an antibiotic for possible broken bone/tissue injury. Baytril is what our vet says to use for broken bone. Do you need dosing?
    Thanks redwuff.
    I get what you say that getting him in would be best, but I won't be easy to do. The only way is to get the nest box at night by blocking both holes and taking it off from where it is. I'm afraid he will come out scared and injure himself further. Where he is, he does not need to move much. It really is not a black and white decision to make. Here is a picture of where he is right now. He does get to rest with a minimum stress level and I see him from the window. I literally spent the entire day watching the window. If we do capture him, finding a place for him that would be appropriate would take time to set up. We are far from prepared and the timing could not be worse because we are in the middle of kitchen renovations. It's not to know what is the best for him. I really want to give him pain relief ASAP. Pred is all I have on hand ready to give, but I don't know the dosage to give. Oh my God, I'm so upset and feel so unsure of what is best to do.

Name:  P5210090.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  95.2 KB
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

I know what you mean. I still can't watch the video without crying and I've seen it over a hundred times!
    ----
    Josee

Yea, we both just watched it again and are now sitting on our couch sniffling.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

He just came out for the 3rd time today and I filmed him a bit. I don't think his arm is broken after all, because he does move it a little. That is reassuring. You can see for yourself how he manages to move around. It will give you a better idea of the shape is in and whether he is okay to be helped while staying free. My gut feeling is that it's better to leave him where he is than to capture him. Of course, I'll be watching for any sign of worsening. So far, I feel it's slightly better that it seemed earlier today. I really do want to help with pain relief though. Please, anyone who knows how to dose PM me. My next window of opportunity to do so is probably tomorrow morning.

https://youtu.be/IvK-06MOPH8
    ----
    Josee

Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    He just came out for the 3rd time today and I filmed him a bit. I don't think his arm is broken after all, because he does move it a little. That is reassuring. You can see for yourself how he manages to move around. It will give you a better idea of the shape is in and whether he is okay to be helped while staying free. My gut feeling is that it's better to leave him where he is than to capture him. Of course, I'll be watching for any sign of worsening. So far, I feel it's slightly better that it seemed earlier today. I really do want to help with pain relief though. Please, anyone who knows how to dose PM me. My next window of opportunity to do so is probably tomorrow morning.

https://youtu.be/IvK-06MOPH8
    I think that it could be broken. If you observe his movements with that arm you can see that he never bends his arm. The movement he makes with that arm to hold his food comes from his shoulder. The arm is quite swollen and could be severely sprained if not broken. I would secure him in the RC if you don't want to bring him inside and keep him there for a few days/weeks if necessary to watch him. At least he would be able to rest and not worry about protecting himself or have to look for food. He needs a chance to rest his arm. I would start him on a few days of infant Ibuprofen for swelling and pain relief. Ideally, I would also start an antibiotic for the possible broken bone. Infant ibuprofen or Motrin is an over the counter drug and can be purchased at any pharmacy.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

DixiesMom (05-21-2017), Nancy in New York (05-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    I think that it could be broken. If you observe his movements with that arm you can see that he never bends his arm. The movement he makes with that arm to hold his food comes from his shoulder. The arm is quite swollen and could be severely sprained if not broken. I would secure him in the RC if you don't want to bring him inside and keep him there for a few days/weeks if necessary to watch him. At least he would be able to rest and not worry about protecting himself or have to look for food. He needs a chance to rest his arm. I would start him on a few days of infant Ibuprofen for swelling and pain relief. Ideally, I would also start an antibiotic for the possible broken bone. Infant ibuprofen or Motrin is an over the counter drug and can be purchased at any pharmacy.
    Thank you very much for your input. This afternoon, we ended up preparing things in case we decided it was time to capture him. Our release cage that had been re-purposed as a catio when we lost our beloved Dixie is now ready to accommodate Pretty Boy. We are waiting for nightfall to do it. We'll block the holes on the nest box and take it to the enclosure. I hope it is not going to be overly stressful for him and that he won't resent us for too long. We have a special bond with this one.

I will get ibuprofen for now, but we unfortunately do not have any antibiotics. We might have to take him to the vet.
    Thank you for your help
    ----
    Josee

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DixiesMom:

Nancy in New York (05-21-2017), redwuff (05-21-2017)

I hope all went well for you and Pretty Boy

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

DixiesMom (05-22-2017)

Default Re: Injured 2 yr old wild grey - *** PLEASE HELP WITH IBUPROFEN DOSAGE ***

Trapping him last night went well. It's raining today, so I am happy he is safe and protected from the rain. I hope he will be resting more because for now he's been moving more than he did before (he was staying in the nest box and only went on top of the cage to eat and drink (just in front of the box).

I want to give him something for the pain ASAP (Ibuprofen for now), but don't have the dosage. He is about 600 gr. He's been in pain for days by now (before he came back injured, he had vanished for 4 days).
    ----
    Josee

Dosing sent. Praying hard for your boy

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

DixiesMom (05-22-2017), Nancy in New York (05-22-2017)

Thank you so much! He can use all the prayers for sure
    I send him Reiki too. I hope he will recover swiftly and completely.
    ----
    Josee

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

Nancy in New York (05-22-2017)

Default Confused with METACAM dosage

I ended up getting metacam from someone and was given the dosage based on the book "wild mammal babies the first 48 hours and beyond". Just spoke with a local rehabber who tells me the dosage I'm giving is way too low. She said that book is unreliable... Can you please PM me the dosage? Don't know who/what to believe anymore. He weighs about 600 gr and what I'm giving is 0.18 ml from a suspension that is 0.5 mg/ml (starting dose I gave was double that). Is it really way too low?

I have not been able to see a vet yet. I found one at last today, but she won't be back until Monday. My poor little boy is suffering and had a terrible day yesterday. I think he's in more pain today than before, because of things he did while being terrified (quite an ordeal he went through yesterday). I haven't even seen him at all today, he's just been in his nest box all day.

I feel horrible for him, I want him to have some relief.
    Please help us if you can.
    ----
    Josee

Default Re: Confused with METACAM dosage

I ended up getting metacam from someone and was given the dosage based on the book "wild mammal babies the first 48 hours and beyond". Just spoke with a local rehabber who tells me the dosage I'm giving is way too low. She said that book is unreliable... Can you please PM me the dosage? Don't know who/what to believe anymore. He weighs about 600 gr and what I'm giving is 0.18 ml from a suspension that is 0.5 mg/ml (starting dose I gave was double that). Is it really way too low?

I have not been able to see a vet yet. I found one at last today, but she won't be back until Monday. My poor little boy is suffering and had a terrible day yesterday. I think he's in more pain today than before, because of things he did while being terrified (quite an ordeal he went through yesterday). I haven't even seen him at all today, he's just been in his nest box all day.

I feel horrible for him, I want him to have some relief.
    Please help us if you can.
    You are using a strength of 0.5 mg/ml correct?
    That is 3 times LOWER than the WMB 2nd edition book doses,
    at 1.5 mg/ml
    Which book are you using the 2nd edition, or the 3rd?
    How many times daily are you dosing?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    You are using a strength of 0.5 mg/ml correct?
    That is 3 times LOWER than the WMB 2nd edition book doses,
    at 1.5 mg/ml
    Which book are you using the 2nd edition, or the 3rd?
    How many times daily are you dosing?
    Yes the strength is 0.5 mg/ml and I give it once a day.
    I don't know the edition the info came from though. I don't own the book myself. Just know that it said in the book 500 gr: 0.1 ml and 750 gr: 0.15 ml and I triple this dosage because of the strength I'm using. That is how I ended up giving 0.36 ml as a loading dose and 0.18 after that (based on the 600 gr estimate).

In the book Exotic Animal Formulary, the dosage is much higher. That is why I am now so confused.
    ----
    Josee

Yes the strength is 0.5 mg/ml and I give it once a day.
    I don't know the edition the info came from though. I don't own the book myself. Just know that it said in the book 500 gr: 0.1 ml and 750 gr: 0.15 ml and I triple this dosage because of the strength I'm using. That is how I ended up giving 0.36 ml as a loading dose and 0.18 after that (based on the 600 gr estimate).

In the book Exotic Animal Formulary, the dosage is much higher. That is why I am now so confused.
    I understand the confusion.
    The reason I asked which edition of the Wild Mammal Babies book is because their 3rd edition doses 10 times higher than their
    2nd edition.

I posted the page from the second ediiton, and the third so you can see the difference.
    Look at the red arrow on the 3rd edition where the dose for rodents is 1 mg/kg
    In the second edition the loading dose is 0.2 mg/kg with subsequent doses cut in half.

SECOND EDITION

THIRD EDITION

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

DixiesMom (05-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I understand the confusion.
    The reason I asked which edition of the Wild Mammal Babies book is because their 3rd edition doses 10 times higher than their
    2nd edition.

I posted the page from the second ediiton, and the third so you can see the difference.
    Look at the red arrow on the 3rd edition where the dose for rodents is 1 mg/kg
    In the second edition the loading dose is 0.2 mg/kg with subsequent doses cut in half.

Thank you so much Nancy. My friend has the second edition then.
    Poor baby, he's not been getting enough at all. G should be getting waaaaaaaay more. Must be in so much pain. We ended making an appointment with the vet for tomorrow morning. I don't have enough medicine for the appropriate dosage and at least now we will know his real weight. That might be underestimated too. I hope he won't be too traumatized by the vet visit. I feel so sorry for him.

Thanks again
    ----
    Josee

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

Nancy in New York (05-25-2017)

Default An update on Pretty Boy

It's been a while since I last posted. I wanted to give you a little update on my injured boy.

As of this morning, he's off pain medicine. He doesn't seem to be needing it anymore. He is recovering much more than we had hoped. He can climb up and down, he can jump (pretty high too), he can use his hand to help holding his food. The vet had told us that his chances of recovering enough to be releasable were pretty slim, but slim is better than none. We are starting to wonder if a release is possible with him (once completely healed). If only his broken arm was the issue, we would probably think that it is possible, based on how well he is compensating with his other 3 limbs. It's the paralyzed tail that is more of a concern in the wild. He could get a sore from dragging it that could get infected. He also could not regulate his temperature as well. It will be a tough call, because we cannot ignore the fact that he doesn't seem happy at all in captivity. He is trying very hard to chew his way out of the cage. And because we can't be around him in his cage, we can't have that bond that can provide comfort and company to a captive squirrel... Although it's only been 3 weeks and progress can be made. When we had our Dixie (paralyzed from the waist down), it took a long time to be able to touch her again.

I wish I could share pictures or videos, but it's not very easy through the cage and with him hiding when we are around. We have been watching him using a Wifi camera, and that is how we can to see him when he is the most active. It's kinda cool! Even on the go, we can see him on our phones!

Here is a picture of him back when we he was a baby, and the other one taken on release day (look at that bushy tail!)

Name:  6 babies 18 mai 2015 (Pretty Boy) 4 stars square.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  122.7 KBName:  11 juillet 2015 (Pretty Boy super bushy tail) 4 stars.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  96.9 KB
    ----
    Josee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast