Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injured 2 yr old wild grey - Need help to provide pain relief

Default Re: Injured 2 yr old wild grey - Need help to provide pain relief

Don't count the boy out! If the limp tail is the only obstacle to release I would consider amputating the tail so that it doesn't drag. I would leave a short tail. I have a Dixie also. She has a 2 inch tail. She is living large in the trees. Her bob tail is adorable.
    Attachment 289183Attachment 289182

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

DixiesMom (06-05-2017), TubeDriver (06-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Don't count the boy out! If the limp tail is the only obstacle to release I would consider amputating the tail so that it doesn't drag. I would leave a short tail. I have a Dixie also. She has a 2 inch tail. She is living large in the trees. Her bob tail is adorable.
    Attachment 289183Attachment 289182
    Thanks!
    We are considering amputation. The vet also said that perhaps his tail skin will become harder and it would protect itself from getting sores. She compared it to a rat who drags his tail without it being an issue.

I would love to get a better idea of what amputating a tail entails. How long is the recovery? What does the caretaker need to do? Does the squirrel need to be kept in a small cage during recovery? Those are all things we need to factor in when weighing his options. The absolute ideal scenario would be a release wihhout amputation.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Sweeper has a girl (Nougie) raised, tail amputated finally after terrible issues with drag sores, and successfully released. You can talko her. Last I heard, Nougie is living large in the trees behind their house, bob tail and all. I don't think that tail will callous. It WILL get dragged raw and become infected.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

DixiesMom (06-05-2017)

I agree with CL. Squirrel tails that drag tend to get sores, not calloused. I think I squirrel with a bob tail can do fine outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Sweeper has a girl (Nougie) raised, tail amputated finally after terrible issues with drag sores, and successfully released. You can talko her. Last I heard, Nougie is living large in the trees behind their house, bob tail and all. I don't think that tail will callous. It WILL get dragged raw and become infected.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

DixiesMom (06-05-2017)

A few years back there was a wild squirrel in our yard with a limp/dragging tail.
    The one big concern I had was watching him try to climb a tree with "snow balls"
    clustered on his tail.They really weighted him down and climbing was difficult with
    the additional weight.
    Hopefully they melted off before he attempted to leap to another branch.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

DixiesMom (06-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    I agree with CL. Squirrel tails that drag tend to get sores, not calloused. I think I squirrel with a bob tail can do fine outside!
    I think the vet suggesting that it might callous is out of ignorance about squirrels. I trust what you guys say more. Vets around here (Quebec, Canada) don't know much about squirrels... sadly. I think I will start a separate post to ask people to share their amputation stories. I want to know as much as possible before making a decision and plan accordingly. Right now, the only indoor cage we have (critter nation) is occupied by 2 babies and will be for 7 more weeks. Well, we do have a rabbit cage, but I could not bare the thought of putting him in such a confined space. Even the critter nation is so darn small for an adult squirrel.
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    A few years back there was a wild squirrel in our yard with a limp/dragging tail.
    The one big concern I had was watching him try to climb a tree with "snow balls"
    clustered on his tail.They really weighted him down and climbing was difficult with
    the additional weight.
    Hopefully they melted off before he attempted to leap to another branch.
    Do you mean the squirrel had both a limping limb and a dragging tail? That would be like Pretty Boy. I would love to know how long he managed to survive like this.
    It's so tough to judge for others what is best for them. If Pretty Boy could choose between a shorter life in the wild or a longer one safe in captivity, what would he choose? I would gladly grant his wish If I knew what it was. My gut feeling is that he would choose freedom, even if that meant a shorter life.
    ----
    Josee

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

TubeDriver (06-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Will start a separate post about amputation and hopefully Sweeper will chime in. Thanks!
    ----
    Josee

Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    Do you mean the squirrel had both a limping limb and a dragging tail? That would be like Pretty Boy. I would love to know how long he managed to survive like this.
    It's so tough to judge for others what is best for them. If Pretty Boy could choose between a shorter life in the wild or a longer one safe in captivity, what would he choose? I would gladly grant his wish If I knew what it was. My gut feeling is that he would choose freedom, even if that meant a shorter life.

No, he only had the dragging tail, no limping limbs.
    I suspect some sort of lower spinal injury.
    I think if Pretty Boy were totally happy indoors that would be his choice, BUT who
    knows if he would always accept that or would he yearn to have his freedom.
    Some people will keep a squirrel regardless,
    but I call them prisoners then, and the people, hoarders.
    Keeping something alive with no quality of life, is not a life.
    There is no doubt in my mind, you will put his best interest first.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

DixiesMom (06-05-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

There is no doubt in my mind, you will put his best interest first.
    Thank you for saying that Nancy. That means a lot
    ----
    Josee

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

Nancy in New York (06-05-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12