Thread: Broken or Injured Wrist on a 2yr Old grey : (

Default Broken or Injured Wrist on a 2yr Old grey : (

Hello everyone on TSB

I was out of town for the weekend and came back to find Rocky not putting any weight on his wrist. My daughter had to work so she stayed home and took care of the pets. Rocky lives in an air conditioned 3 car garage with his roommate loose. I had to leave them both inside their 2 story cage. I have placed him in a smaller cage since he is having trouble walking and jumping.

I live in Houston do I need to take him to a vet or will it heal by itself? Is there anything I can give him? Rocky gains weight in the winter and looses it in the summer he is weighing 491g now. His diet is 2-3 Henry blocks (snap peas, kale, chayote, yams, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado and whatever fruit I have try to mix and match they usually eat what they love 1st and leave what they don't like. This is where I'm failing I think its MBD cause I started to give him an almond a day. Thank you so much for taking the time to advice, correct, and redirect me.

Lillian

Default Re: Broken or Injured Wrist on a 2yr Old grey : (

Does he eat his HHBS? Thoroughly check his living area and make sure that he eats them and does not stash them or that his roommate eats them. If he is eating HHBS then his diet is decent. Is there another reason that you suspect MBD? Does he have an UVB SOURCE?

As for his wrist, getting him into a smaller cage and limiting his activity is wise. Do you have any meloxacam? Or infant Motrin? We can dose. Getting an anti inflammatory into him would reduce swelling and help with pain. Do you feel anything broken? Are you able to see a vet in your area?

Since vet visits are a big deal for squirrels, I might wait a day, with an anti inflammatory to see if there is any change.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (05-16-2017)

I'm not an expert on vet care and broken bones.

I can just mention that I had a wild squirrel show up this past winter with a broken wrist. The wrist hung rather limp, it was red and bloody. Stirred my compassion. This squirrel would not let me near it. So I prayed for it, and I learned to toss it nuts from 20 feet away. I got really good; I learned to toss a nut 20 feet that would most often land right at it's feet! :-) I could give it lots of good quality nuts, because it was a wild outdoors, not a captive. I wanted to give it as much help as I could to help it heal itself. I added some coconut oil to a few of the nuts to give it some natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial help. Everyday for months, I found this squirrel hiding in the fringes of where the wilds came to eat. The blood on it disappeared, the fur grew back. And then I saw this was a nursing mom, wow, I felt so glad to help this little one with babies. The paw healed in a disjointed way, maybe some nerves were cut, the squirrel can walk on the front paw, but at this point, it can't bend any of it's fingers, but it can use the paw to bluntly hold a nut.

It's been months now, this squirrel is fast, and moves amid all the other squirrels, I can just recognize it, because it's paw is held at an odd angle. Apparently I have won the trust of this little dear one, for it appeared last week, on my back step, asking for nuts. It no longer has any fear of me.

I know the paw has healed slightly askew, but I am still praying that a miracle would right its paw entirely...anything is possible, I know this. I am also fine with how it is. This squirrel can get around fine with all the rest of them. I am so happy to see this. It took months of care.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

island rehabber (05-16-2017), UDoWhat (05-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Does he eat his HHBS? Thoroughly check his living area and make sure that he eats them and does not stash them or that his roommate eats them. If he is eating HHBS then his diet is decent. Is there another reason that you suspect MBD? Does he have an UVB SOURCE?

As for his wrist, getting him into a smaller cage and limiting his activity is wise. Do you have any meloxacam? Or infant Motrin? We can dose. Getting an anti inflammatory into him would reduce swelling and help with pain. Do you feel anything broken? Are you able to see a vet in your area?

Since vet visits are a big deal for squirrels, I might wait a day, with an anti inflammatory to see if there is any change.
    Good Morning Redwuff,

When Rocky is very hungry in the mornings he eats his HHBS with all the particles that fall down from being up high. He does not have a lot of UVB source unless I put them in their cage and roll it out of the garage. I noticed this morning he is having trouble holding his block with only one hand. Yesterday, I was trying to wrap it up and feel his hand/wrist but he cries with pain.
    I have the following meds if anybody can dose for me?

1. Meloxicam7.5 mg.
    2. Tramadol 50mg.
    3. Infant Motrin
    4. Cipro 500mg
    5. Methylprednisolone 4mg. not sure if its the same that everybody uses Prednisone?

I don't have a vet in Houston to get x-rays but if someone can give me that information I would greatly appreciate it and take him!!

This is redwuff

Hearing how much pain he is in I would find a vet and get an X-ray. At the same time you should get bloodwork done. Then you can see what calcium levels concerning MBD are. Let me see what we can about finding a good vet. Will get back to you.

trysh

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    This is redwuff

Hearing how much pain he is in I would find a vet and get an X-ray. At the same time you should get bloodwork done. Then you can see what calcium levels concerning MBD are. Let me see what we can about finding a good vet. Will get back to you.

trysh
    Thank you so much!!

You can start by giving him 0.25ml of the infant motrin (50mg/1.25ml strength med) every 5 hours or so. Make sure he is hydrated when taking any meds.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelyDad View Post
    Good Morning Redwuff,

When Rocky is very hungry in the mornings he eats his HHBS with all the particles that fall down from being up high. He does not have a lot of UVB source unless I put them in their cage and roll it out of the garage. I noticed this morning he is having trouble holding his block with only one hand. Yesterday, I was trying to wrap it up and feel his hand/wrist but he cries with pain.
    I have the following meds if anybody can dose for me?

1. Meloxicam7.5 mg.
    2. Tramadol 50mg.
    3. Infant Motrin
    4. Cipro 500mg
    5. Methylprednisolone 4mg. not sure if its the same that everybody uses Prednisone?

I don't have a vet in Houston to get x-rays but if someone can give me that information I would greatly appreciate it and take him!!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Hello Everyone,

Good news!! I wanted to let you know that I took Rocky to the vet yesterday he was sedated and x-rayed.
    He does not have MBD or any fractures only sprained it. He will be on cage rest for 2wks.
    I wanted to thank everyone for all your help!!
    Lillian

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelyDad:

PennyCash (05-20-2017), redwuff (05-21-2017), SammysMom (05-20-2017)

Oh Lillian, I am so glad that you found a vet that you can use now and that he is doing better. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help though.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Nancy in New York (05-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelyDad View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Good news!! I wanted to let you know that I took Rocky to the vet yesterday he was sedated and x-rayed.
    He does not have MBD or any fractures only sprained it. He will be on cage rest for 2wks.
    I wanted to thank everyone for all your help!!
    Lillian
    That's good news! Was he given anything for pain/ inflammation?
    Can you share the vet info? We are always looking for safe squirrel
    friendly veterinarians we can refer to.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Oh Lillian, I am so glad that you found a vet that you can use now and that he is doing better. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need help though.
    Thank you Gayle,

Yes, I'm thrilled to have a vet and that he is healthy. Thanks to this close knit network of squirrel lovers

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelyDad from:

SammysMom (05-20-2017)

Thrilled to hear this. Thanks so much for taking such good care of your boys. You might want to consider looking into UVB lighting for them