Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken/Injured Arm

Default Broken/Injured Arm

Here goes again....
    I doubt this would be a life threatening situation, but I don't want to raise an undue alarm so I'm posting here.
    But, one of my rehabs, Nugget, fell out of a tree last night. We know because he fell right next to my husband, but ran off.
    I couldn't find him til this afternoon, but he looks rough.
    He won't put any weight on the arm and can't hold anything very well at all, but he CAN move it a little. He's getting around VERY clumsily, but is guarding that arm.
    He IS eating and drinking. But he seems sluggish...maybe exhausted.
    But.....
    I couldn't catch him. He's wilded up the most. He went into their nestbox up the tree.
    I had some vet-prescribed Meloxicam from when his sister scratched her eye badly. I tacked a little cup about a foot below the nestbox (close as I can get at the moment) with the 0.5ml dose MineyMo got. Maybe he'll take it?
    Anything else I might do?
    Do I need to make it up there somehow tonight and get him to the emergency vet? I wouldn't know if there were any internal injuries, but I can hope not considering his mobility and eating/drinking.

Default Re: Broken/Injured Arm

In my opinion, meloxicam in the wild is not a good idea. It can make them not feel the pain that prevents them from attempting to do something they are not actually able to do because of the injury. If you do not see improvement by tomorrow, I suggest that since you are in Florida and probably can find a vet nearby, maybe see if you can get him in to see someone.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

gunpackingrandma (05-12-2017), Nancy in New York (05-06-2017)

Good point about the meloxicam. I didn't even think of that....just of easing his pain.
    The vet school here at UF may see him. I'm calling first thing in the morning. If not, my regular vet, who will see my squirrels, won't be available until Monday morning.

Is it a good idea to keep him in the RC during recovery? They're only a bit over 2 weeks since fully released.

Thanks for your help.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

Mel1959 (05-10-2017), SammysMom (05-06-2017)

The RC is a terrific option!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Mel1959 (05-10-2017), Nancy in New York (05-06-2017)

Nugget is missing. Sometime between dusk and dawn, he must have slipped out of the nestbox. I presume either to hide and heal or die or was thirsty.
    He hasn't made an appearance at all today and I've been out here since 615am.
    He's not still in the nestbox. I watched the other two emerge this am but not him.
    Climbed a ladder 20+ feet, hanging onto a 3" limb for dear life and stuck my hand down in there.
    I fear he's gone, but I'm hoping he'll still show back up.

I am absolutely heartbroken. If he's gone, that makes 2 of my 4 rehabs. One within 20 minutes, and the other in about two weeks.
    How does anyone keep DOING this?

Whirlwind couple of days. Nugget came back near 24 hours later.
    I got him secured finally and took him to the vet. Left foreleg bones are broken- both the radius and the ulna.
    He's in a splint-cast and under strict mobility restriction.

I am in unfamiliar water here and am in need of talking with someone who has taken care of an injured squirrel before-preferably under much the same condition.
    Because, first, he's not supposed to jump, climb, hang, etc and where do I start on that one??? Vet suggested a large plastic tote bin. That seems unrealistic for several reasons.

It's going to be 2-3 months before he's releasable again....IF his activity is restricted and doesn't lead to a failed healing. This first week is critical.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

Ekorre (05-09-2017), gunpackingrandma (05-12-2017), Mel1959 (05-10-2017)

I don't have any advice about the broken bones (ouch!), but just wanted to say how glad I am that Nugget returned & you were able to get him to a vet.

Sending healing energy & positive vibes to your little one. Fingers crossed that he makes a full recovery!

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ekorre:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-10-2017), Mel1959 (05-10-2017)

Ok, so my main problem right now is getting him his medications. He doesn't take the syringe (flavor?) and won't take them when they're disguised in food. He doesn't like my hand coming at him with anything inside the aquarium so he chitters at me and complains, and I am afraid of bites after sustaining two pretty serious ones over the last eight months.
    He will let me pet his back lightly while he's nearly asleep, though.
    He is terrified of towels, so that doesn't work. He freaks out and tries to get away, which could ruin his cast.
    So, any advice?
    I've been really stressing him out getting these meds in. He's obviously in a lot of pain, poor little dude.
    Or is the pain relief worth the stress of forcing the syringe on him?
    I've thought about passing him off to a rehabbed nearby who was willing to care for him, even though I'd prefer the do it myself since I saved the little guy once. That's selfish, I know, so I'm leaving that option open for now.
    I could also board him at the vet hospital for $50/day. Already quite the expense with this injury and more ahead with follow up...but that is what it is.

Have you tried putting the medicine on a pecan half in the grooves? When I have squirrels that are difficult to get medicine in, I will put the medicine on a pecan half, put it in the fridge to let it dry on it, and then put a dab of peanut butter on top once the medicine has dried on it. It is a little difficult sometimes to get all of it to stay on the pecan, so I will put a tiny amount of peanut butter on both ends of the pecan before putting the meds on it so that the medicine doesn't go running out of the ends. Hope you can find a way to get the meds in your little guy.. I'm sure he is in pain.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

Mel1959 (05-10-2017), SammysMom (05-11-2017)

I am very sorry to hear about Nugget. I totally understand your thought about letting a Rehabber care for him. I would choose carefully which Rehabber you are going to intrust him to, though. I know there's a good one in Jacksonville called the Ark.

I hope he starts taking his medicine better. He won't need to be on it forever, so that's good. And after he's been inside for a while maybe he will be easier to deal with.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-11-2017), lennysmom (05-10-2017)

He loves pecans, but hates peanut butter (????) I tried a pecan anyway and he saw right through the trick. Clever guy.
    I have gotten him under control and am currently delivering his meds without issue via syringe. The trip OUT of the aquarium (temporary ICU) to a lap blanket is the worst part. I bought welding gloves. Bulky, but I still have all my fingers! Once in my lap, he is a sweet marshmallow or tried to hide under my shirt.
    Posting photos now....
    Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Have you tried putting the medicine on a pecan half in the grooves? When I have squirrels that are difficult to get medicine in, I will put the medicine on a pecan half, put it in the fridge to let it dry on it, and then put a dab of peanut butter on top once the medicine has dried on it. It is a little difficult sometimes to get all of it to stay on the pecan, so I will put a tiny amount of peanut butter on both ends of the pecan before putting the meds on it so that the medicine doesn't go running out of the ends. Hope you can find a way to get the meds in your little guy.. I'm sure he is in pain.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

lennysmom (05-11-2017)

Photo 1: Specialized cast. Opposing forces via metal spiral are lifting his bones back into alignment.

Photo 2: Oblique fracture of the ulna. Spiral fracture of the radius. Not the cleanest breaks, but not the ugliest the vet says.

Photo 3: Mystery bone structure abnormality. The vets checked ALL of their archived squirrel radiographs for a comparison but couldn't find one. This is bilateral (both sides) and if it was just one side, they would assume a fracture. But because his mobility doesn't appear compromised at the elbow, they surmise it is normal for Nugget, but unprecedented.
    Both lower humerus condyles appear "notched."
    Anyone seen this before?????
    The vet school would love to learn more.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hope your neighbor did not do this!

What an angel you are. This would have been a death sentence for him if he could not have come back to his mom. Bad bad break! Hurts to just look at the x rays.

I hope you can find a way to get pain meds in him. He does need them. Did the vet prescribe an antibiotic for him? He needs one with bone breaks like that. The cast looks amazing. Usually when our vet wraps a broken bone, the baby has it off by the time we are home.

Prayers to you and your boy

What a sweetie. Glad he settled down and knows your only trying to make him better.

You've certainly earned your sainthood suspenders with this little fuy. He has no idea how blessed he is.

Need to know if there's something I can dab on his cast that will keep him from chewing on it and won't overload his smell, but won't harm him if he does chew!
    Like cayenne, etc
    He started chewing and if he gets this cast off.... I could be looking at a failed healing.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Liquid injectible Baytril or liquid injectible Clindamycin on the cast will make it taste horrible. Clindamycin is worse tasting than Baytril.

I have used this several times.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-12-2017), redwuff (05-12-2017)

I think I have read that squirrels don't like cloves and peppermint. You can also buy Yuck! at pet stores or Tractor Supply and spray that on it. It might help keep him from chewing. I hope others will chime in with suggestions.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-12-2017)

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Just reading some more of the thread. I too suggest a bin/tote to limit movement. 2-3 months is a drop in the hat in the grand scheme of things. If his arm doesn't heal he won't be able to be released....what's 2-3 months?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-12-2017), UDoWhat (05-12-2017)

Try bitter apple which you can get in the pet store, or a product called Yuk!. I wonder if you could keep him on a sedating dose of gavapentin. That would help you handle him easier and he would sleep a lot. Any idea if your vet would dose that? Is he on any pain med? The gavapentin is also a good med for nerve pain which he might be dealing with the break he had. I think metacam also has drowsy capabilities and he should be on that for inflammation .

Have you figured out how to get any meds in him? Hang in there

32. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Coffeeculturegvl (05-12-2017), Milo's Mom (05-12-2017), UDoWhat (05-12-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast