Thread: Lethargic and Sick Squirrel

Default Lethargic and Sick Squirrel

Hi guys. Back in September my Dad found and severely injured squirrel. My original post is below. I am happy to inform the board that with your help, including a local rehabber, my Dad was able to nurse the squirrel back to health. She spends most of her time on his 5th floor balcony in a box we made her. We know the squirrel is a female because it had 3 babies! One of the babies made its way to the ground. Now the mother squirrel is nursing 1 squirrel on the ground and 2 on the balcony. If all is going well why am I posting?

Well, looks like mom is sick. She has been running up and down, which has made her injured arm raw. For the past 48 hours she has been very lethargic and throwing up. At first she could keep down apples, but she can't keep them down either as of today. I don't know if she is just exhausted, sick, or her arm has become infected. I have the opportunity to obtain antibiotics from a local rehabber. I think it is Baytril. Would that be appropriate?

Below are a few pictures, minus the vomit. I know squirrels like to lay this way and alone doesn't indicate illness. My Dad advised that this behavior combined with her being sick is concerning. I also threw in a picture of one of her little ones.

Please advise if antibiotics are a good idea for her current condition and to have available just in case her arm gets infected. It occasionally bleeds from all her squirrel activities!

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.Name:  Baby.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  101.7 KBName:  Lethargic 2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  106.7 KBName:  Lethargic 1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  101.0 KBphp?55212-Injured-Squirrel&p=1182133&highlight=#post1182133

Thanks.

Name:  Lethargic 1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  101.0 KBName:  Lethargic 2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  106.7 KBName:  Baby.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  101.7 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KMANWEBER from:

UDoWhat (05-23-2017)

Default Re: Lethargic and Sick Squirrel

Sorry for the dupe images. I thought one set was going to be an attachment and one inserted into the post. Below is my original post from September. Thanks again.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...t=#post1182133

She looks really sick. This vomiting makes me think she has been poisoned. I would offer fresh water in a shallow bowl. I would support her the best way you can by offering fresh food and water. Can you try to bring that baby back up? It would release some stress for the Mom squirrel. How old are the babies? Maybe start giving them food and water to support them too. Are they able to support themselves and be weaned if the mom should pass? Is the mom's arm infected? She may need an antibiotic. How long has she been like this?

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Grinderhead (05-22-2017), SammysMom (05-22-2017)

Thank you for the response. The babies are eating solid food and drinking on their own. They also nurse on occasion. The second baby has made its way to the ground. Went right down the downspout. So now only one baby on the balcony and two on the ground. My dad says she often rubs her arm raw. It's not as bad now as it has been in the past and it doesn't look infected. She seems to be able to keep apples down. Everything else comes up. We will continue to support her and the babies. My dad thinks she is a bit better today. A local rehabber provided some antibiotics, which we will start immediately. I am on the road. I'll provide an update asap. Thanks!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to KMANWEBER:

Mel1959 (05-22-2017), UDoWhat (05-23-2017)

Thanks so much for watching and supporting this momma and her babies.

It would be great to have any update

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (05-23-2017)