Thread: Squirrel made a bad summer nest

Default Squirrel made a bad summer nest

Name:  IMG_6993.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  101.0 KB

It's a bad pick. If you look closely you can see the branch closest to the camera. You can sort of see a squirrel tail. My squirrel built a nest in a broken tree branch. Isn't that dangerous? It is on a low branch and open towards the sky. Whenever it rains it willcatch the rain. Also, it's a low branch, will predators get her? I live in NJ and fear an owl getting her. I'm not sure how deep the drey is. I could get a ladder and check it out. I was thinking of doing something to prevent her from living there? Or something to make her safer? She stays in a squirrel house i bought on a screened in porch during the winter but when it gets hot she moves to a tree. Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Squirrel made a bad summer nest

Quote Originally Posted by Negerto30 View Post
    Name:  IMG_6993.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  101.0 KB
    It's a bad pick. If you look closely you can see the branch closest to the camera. You can sort of see a squirrel tail. My squirrel built a nest in a broken tree branch. Isn't that dangerous? It is on a low branch and open towards the sky. Whenever it rains it willcatch the rain. Also, it's a low branch, will predators get her? I live in NJ and fear an owl getting her. I'm not sure how deep the drey is. I could get a ladder and check it out. I was thinking of doing something to prevent her from living there? Or something to make her safer? She stays in a squirrel house i bought on a screened in porch during the winter but when it gets hot she moves to a tree. Thanks for your help.
    Most all do...
    Has she been out there before or is this her first nest building?
    I've had several "new" nest builders that would stay out unless it rained hard,
    then they would run back to shelter in the RC. Next day they would be perfecting
    their building skills for the next rain. Eventually they get it right and stay out.

I don't know how you can make it safer but personally I wouldn't evict her unless
    the break in the branch looks like it's going to come down and if that's the case I'd
    remove it first.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

It's not her first nest. She is turning five this summer. Past few years has always been in this tree. I'd attempt to hang on of her squirrel houses with the predator guard in the tree but I don't think she'll use it. Maybe it gets too hot in there?

I wouldn't worry too much, squirrels are smart and if she's an experienced nest-builder she'll know what she's doing...if she decides this new one she's built isn't ideal she'll build another. Maybe just keep an eye on that damaged branch in case it gets worse or looks like it's gonna come down. Otherwise I'd just let her get on with it.