Thread: Need help identifying reason for hair loss

Default Need help identifying reason for hair loss

This is one of the girls I got from Dr. E on May 9. She had hair loss on her tail and rear foot when I got her. I asked Dr. E (in a text) about it and she said she had treated her for mites, but they could be back. She said she would call me after surgery. Being the busy doctor that she is, I haven't heard back from her. I believe the hair loss on her tail is progressing up the tail. The other two girls font seem to have any hair loss. She does not seem to be chewing or itching excessively. She scratches every now and then but it seems normal.

I have been feeding her Esbilac and goats milk formula. She currently weighs 134gr. She was 78gr when I got her. The only other food that has been offered is rodent block. I'm unsure of their age. I would guess about 8 weeks, maybe more.

Can someone help me determine what this is and what I should treat it with? I have kitten Revolution, Ivermax ivermectin 1% liquid solution. I have Baytril 22.7mg pill (expired), clavamox 50/12.5 mg powder, doxycycline 100 mg capsule, silvadene salve, terramycin ointment and tobramycin ointment, Lotrimin clotrimazole 1% ointment.

They just went in to the top half of a Critter Nation cage today. They are maneuvering it well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Need help identifying reason for hair loss

I can't tell you what although I suspect some type of mite. A skin scraping sample might reveal
    what could be chewing on her but sometimes not even that holds answers. As my Vet explained
    recently, sometimes even a skin scraping can not identify the type as they can borrow deeper
    then what is obtained from the scraping sample.
    I'd personally be inclined to try the Ivermectin as long as you can dose it properly as I'm led to
    believe it has a wider "critter" coverage.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (05-19-2017)

Default Re: Need help identifying reason for hair loss

I am obviously not an expert on squirrel care as I've just this year rescued 3. But I am an excellent source for animal skin problems if it pertains to mites, fleas, etc. I promise, if it's bug related, that Diatomaceous earth will take care of the bugs if you treat the pet/rescue and their bedding without being harmful to the animals being treated. If that doesn't help it may be allergy related and coconut oil might help.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ScrappyDo from:

Mel1959 (05-19-2017)