Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found baby chipmunk-- HELP!!

Default Found baby chipmunk-- HELP!!

My husband found this baby at his construction job today-- I can't tell how old it is, but it looks pretty young, considering how thinly furred the tail is... Does she need formula still? Or solid food?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    <font size=5> <span style=font-family: Century Gothic>  

***Newly Licensed NY State Wildlife Rehabilitator***

~*The fur baby who started it all, Snickers*~ ♡♡ Who knew the pitter patter of tiny feet would be from a squirrel? :rofl  ~*No me importa cuanto tu crece, siempre te vas ser mi bambino*~ ♡♡  Not all those who wander are lost...  </span> </font>

Default Re: Found baby chipmunk-- HELP!!

Hey there,
    Are his eyes open yet? I can see he has stripes, but i can't tell about his eyes.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

Phoxy8947 (06-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirreleesi View Post
    Hey there,
    Are his eyes open yet? I can see he has stripes, but i can't tell about his eyes.
    Yes, her eyes are open, although they're very squinty, like half closed (one moreso than the other, but that may be becuz my husband's co-worker hit the baby on the head when he threw a rock)

~*The fur baby who started it all, Snickers*~ ♡♡ Who knew the pitter patter of tiny feet would be from a squirrel? :rofl  ~*No me importa cuanto tu crece, siempre te vas ser mi bambino*~ ♡♡  Not all those who wander are lost...  </span> </font>

Thank heavens your husband was there to keep his asshole coworker from killing the little guy--unless coworker was just throwing a rock and it happened to hit the little chipmunk. Try formula. It's good nutrition for an injured little one. Be sure to hydrate first. Chipmunks eat seeds from our birdfeeder but I don't really know their diet. If somebody hit me n the head with a rock my head would hurt like crazy. Are her eyes reactive to light? pupils dialate? Bet she could use some pain relief but I know NOTHING about dosing for a chipmunk. If you have a small cage might want to put her in there. She's hurt but could take off and hurt herself further if you had to chase her in the house.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (06-15-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Thank heavens your husband was there to keep his asshole coworker from killing the little guy. Try formula. It's good nutrition for an injured little one. Be sure to hydrate first.
    I know!! My husband told me that the force of the blow knocked the baby unconscious!! 😠😡 Stupid guy... I will order some ASAP and put a rush on the shipment, or try to run to the store and see if they have it. Thanks

This is the directory for Wildlife Rehabbers (http://wildliferehabinfo.org/ContactList_MnPg.htm)
    and a link specifically to Rehabbers in NY (http://wildliferehabinfo.org/Contact_N-Z.htm#NEW_YORK)

I don't have Chipmunk experience, but going by my Wildlife book I'm not confident in saying he is old enough to be on his own... I also think with a blow to the head from a rock and how you described his eyes, there is a very good chance he is experiencing some head trauma and is going to need experienced hands and medication on top of rehabilitation.

In the meantime i would offer some solid foods like Rodent or Monkey Chow, Cheerios, or some fresh fruits and veggies to munch on. Hopefully people with more chipmunk experience than me will be on shortly until you can get in contact with a Rehabber near you.

9. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirreleesi:

cava (06-15-2017), Nancy in New York (06-15-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-15-2017)

This is the directory for Wildlife Rehabbers (http://wildliferehabinfo.org/ContactList_MnPg.htm)
    and a link specifically to Rehabbers in NY (http://wildliferehabinfo.org/Contact_N-Z.htm#NEW_YORK)

I don't have Chipmunk experience, but going by my Wildlife book I'm not confident in saying he is old enough to be on his own... I also think with a blow to the head from a rock and how you described his eyes, there is a very good chance he is experiencing some head trauma and is going to need experienced hands and medication on top of rehabilitation.

In the meantime i would offer some solid foods like Rodent or Monkey Chow, Cheerios, or some fresh fruits and veggies to munch on. Hopefully people with more chipmunk experience than me will be on shortly until you can get in contact with a Rehabber near you.
    Thanks, I've offered her everything I feed my gray squirrel-- (Henry's Healthy Blocks, Kaytee fortified rodent blocks, snow peas, kale, spring mix greens and spinach, walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, avocado, white button mushrooms... but she hasn't touched anything yet

By the way, I'm studying to take the test in August to become a licensed wildlife rehabilitator... but I do want someone who's more experienced to help this baby

Quote Originally Posted by Phoxy8947 View Post
    Thanks, I've offered her everything I feed my gray squirrel-- (Henry's Healthy Blocks, Kaytee fortified rodent blocks, snow peas, kale, spring mix greens and spinach, walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, avocado, white button mushrooms... but she hasn't touched anything yet
    Have you tried some warmed honey water?
    Just plain water with just a touch of honey.
    Do you have a 1 cc syringe?
    Do you have infant ibuprofen?
    If so we can dose her for pain and inflammation.
    If she was hit with a rock, I would assume there could
    be some head swelling.
    We would need a weight in grams to dose.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (06-15-2017), Squirreleesi (06-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Have you tried some warmed honey water?
    Just plain water with just a touch of honey.
    Do you have a 1 cc syringe?
    Do you have infant ibuprofen?
    If so we can dose her for pain and inflammation.
    If she was hit with a rock, I would assume there could
    be some head swelling.
    We would need a weight in grams to dose.
    No, unfortunately, and the pharmacies are closed... I have regular ibuprofen, but not infant. I have to buy a scale too-- tomoro morning, ASAP. Is there anything else I can do now tho? She's in my bra rite now, resting quietly

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Phoxy8947 from:

cava (06-15-2017)

IF you have a small makeup brush or a childs paint brush
    put a little bit of water or honey water on that and see if
    she will lick it off.
    That's the way some feed baby mice.
    They won't eat if they are dehydrated.
    Has she taken any hydration by mouth, or nothing so far.

Here see if these pages help.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (06-15-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-15-2017)

IF you have a small makeup brush or a childs paint brush
    put a little bit of water or honey water on that and see if
    she will lick it off.
    That's the way some feed baby mice.
    They won't eat if they are dehydrated.
    Has she taken any hydration by mouth, or nothing so far.

Here see if these pages help.

Thanks so much!! No, she hasn't tried to drink anything either, but I will give her Pedialyte later if she still hasn't made an effort to drink or eat

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Phoxy8947 from:

Mel1959 (06-15-2017)

Definitely hydrate and get some infant ibuprofen into her. I hope her head trauma isn't too serious. .

Your husbands coworker sounds like a real jerk. Tell him to pick on someone his own size!

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (06-16-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Thank heavens your husband was there to keep his asshole coworker from killing the little guy--unless coworker was just throwing a rock and it happened to hit the little chipmunk. Try formula. It's good nutrition for an injured little one. Be sure to hydrate first. Chipmunks eat seeds from our birdfeeder but I don't really know their diet. If somebody hit me n the head with a rock my head would hurt like crazy. Are her eyes reactive to light? pupils dialate? Bet she could use some pain relief but I know NOTHING about dosing for a chipmunk. If you have a small cage might want to put her in there. She's hurt but could take off and hurt herself further if you had to chase her in the house.
    I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I don't know if her pupils dilate, but if I shine a light in her face, she closes her good eye-- the other one remains half squinted shut... Yes, I've put her in a 64" cage, inside a hammock, but she seems to have trouble walking/climbing, so she's back in my bra again for now... I will buy a scale and infant ibuprofen ASAP, and I've searched online for formula (Esbilac), but none of the stores have it in stock, I would have to order it online and wait for it to arrive... I see that Target has goat's milk, but it's powdered/evaporated... Can i still use that if I mix it with plain yogurt and heavy cream?

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I don't know if her pupils dilate, but if I shine a light in her face, she closes her good eye-- the other one remains half squinted shut... Yes, I've put her in a 64" cage, inside a hammock, but she seems to have trouble walking/climbing, so she's back in my bra again for now... I will buy a scale and infant ibuprofen ASAP, and I've searched online for formula (Esbilac), but none of the stores have it in stock, I would have to order it online and wait for it to arrive... I see that Target has goat's milk, but it's powdered/evaporated... Can i still use that if I mix it with plain yogurt and heavy cream?
    Here's a link to the temporary Goat's Milk Formula.
    They have Goat's milk at Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but I would first call
    before makiing the trip.
    You can't find powdered puppy esbilac in the pet stores?
    I know that PetSmart and PetCo carry it.
    Let me find the picture so you know what to tlook for.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ilk-Formula***

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (06-16-2017), Phoxy8947 (06-16-2017)

Here's a link to the temporary Goat's Milk Formula.
    They have Goat's milk at Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but I would first call
    before makiing the trip.
    You can't find powdered puppy esbilac in the pet stores?
    I know that PetSmart and PetCo carry it.
    Let me find the picture so you know what to tlook for.
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?29
    904-TEMPORARY-Goat-s-Milk-Formula***
    The pet stores only have those huge like 5lb bags of it... I guess I could buy it

The pet stores only have those huge like 5lb bags of it... I guess I could buy it

OR you could use the Goat's Milk temporarily, and if you have
    Amazon Prime order it on line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ASRZ8...497609730&sr=1

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Phoxy8947 (06-16-2017)

OR you could use the Goat's Milk temporarily, and if you have
    Amazon Prime order it on line.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002ASRZ8...497609730&sr=1
    Yes, I'm going to have to buy goat's milk and use that temporarily until the Esbilac arrives... Thanks

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Phoxy8947 from:

Nancy in New York (06-16-2017)

Don't forget 1 cc syringes too!

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Phoxy8947 (06-16-2017)

Don't forget 1 cc syringes too!
    Can i get those from a regular pharmacy? Or use an eyedropper? Which is better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast