Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flyer having seizures

Default Re: Flyer having seizures

Waxworms. I also give a tiny amount once or twice a week of black oil sunflower seed to my flyers. Stoneyfield Whole Milk French vanilla every night. Mushrooms every night (mine like the ****ake ones the best). I mix up the veggies and fruits every night. They only get either an almond or half a pecan 3 days a week. Mazuri rodent block every night (mine do eat it most of the time). I have cuttlebones and deer antlers in every cage. One of mine does have seizures, hers are stress related. Flyers are high stress animals, and have seen quite a few that have seizures. I also do give hhb's to them a couple times a week too, but break the blocks in half. Luna is 10 yo, Eris is 7, Rocket is 8 and Cashew is 9.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to pappy1264:

bratann617 (05-15-2017), Jennefer (05-15-2017), Mel1959 (05-17-2017)

I do not add the yogurt to the formula, but I do give them some at night. They quit eating it for a while so I had stopped giving it. I just found a higher fat content Australian yogurt that Tizzy seems to like, so I have been giving that. She would prefer right now if I feed it to her off of my finger or a spoon while she is in my shirt as she still seems to be scared of her food dishes after her at least 5 seizures on Friday night. I am also giving her formula with ultraboost right now. I am also working on getting some wax worms. And formula is always served warm. And yes, Tizzy seems to be a lot higher stress than her brother. She's always anxious. Unless she is in bed or my shirt.

What kind of bed does Tizzy sleep in? My guys have always had the pouch from Henrys. Have several of them so I can rotate & wash. I wont be w/out one! All my flyers love the pouch. It's nice & big (all 4 used to stay in one), soft, dark inside. You can see in the one pic I posted all 4 of my guys hanging out of it. They lounge in the opening. It has velcro straps on back so it hangs (my indoor cage has vertical slats, outdoor RC is hardware cloth so I looped metal through the velcro to keep it hanging). Maybe Tizzy might like a pouch thing. Could help her feel snug (& dark). My 4 guys I've had since a month old like to still hang out in my shirt (all 4 at once) but my other 2 guys I got at 2 mons old & they are just "okay" with being in the shirt.

Name:  20170423_152751.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  100.2 KBName:  20170424_064156.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  73.7 KB

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (05-15-2017)

I have a question. Duckman says I should ask here because he is not sure. Tizzy will only eat about 1.5 cc's of 20/50 formula with ultraboost in it. I was told one quarter of the formula was to be ultraboost. Since Tizzy should be eating more than that by weight, but won't because she is a "big girl" and has been weaned for a while, am I allowed to increase the amount of ultraboost? In March Tizzy weighed 120 grams. Today she only weighs 105.

Tizzy and Stitch have 4 pouches to choose from in their cage. One of the other refuge volunteers sews, so I got a really nice one from her and the other 3 I made. They all have different thicknesses so they can choose. For the most part they hoard their squirrel block in 2 of the ones I made and they sleep in the nice thick one. I added a really thin one last week because weather was warming up here and it would get really hot in my room. It cooled back down so they just leave it alone for the time being. I'm looking to get an a/c unit for my window by the time summer hits. They are adorable!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bratann617 from:

Jennefer (05-15-2017)

On Fox Valley's website it says not to exceed half and half formula with ultraboost, but still want to be sure it's safe to do for her.

I have used 50/50 FV and Ultraboost for my dwarf for over a year. It has helped him put on weight. He gets other foods, as well, so the formula is not his primary source of food. I know nothing about flyers, but someone with more knowledge about them should chime in.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bratann617 (05-15-2017)

Im not sure either abt MORE than 50/50 on formula & ultraboost. But i dont think short term doing 50/50 to get some weight on will hurt. As long as she has another food source as well. I would not do more than 50/50 only because ultraboost doesnt have all the nutrients in it she needs in & of itself. You dont want to sacrifice nutrients for fat. If she'll only drink 1.5cc you may need to try feeding her a few times a day to get more in her.

Yay on the pouches! Sounds like you got this!!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

bratann617 (05-15-2017), Mel1959 (05-15-2017)

I shockingly got 6 cc's of half formula half ultraboost into her about 3 and half hours ago. I'm going to offer some more here in about a half hour. I am also going to try handing her fruits and veggies while she is in my shirt as apposed to her eating in her cage. Unless she decides to wake up early, then I'll try handing them to her while she is in her cage. I can't allow her out of her cage or my shirt. She has to be in one of the two. Since she is not eating the full amount based on weight, I thought about offering it every 3 hours or so.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bratann617 from:

Mel1959 (05-15-2017)

Holy smokes!!! Shes gonna be chunky in no time eating like that. Check & feel her tummy before next feeding b/c thats a lot for flyers. Ive never gotten my guys to eat more than 3cc in one sitting but they are also younger than Tizzy & southern so smaller. Overfeeding can be as bad as underfeeding. Keep an eye on her poopy. Ive actually worn vneck tees so the babies can peek out & eat from syringe in safety without being exposed or scared.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Yes, I feed her while she is inside my shirt. She should be eating 5.25 by weight. She just now only took 1.5. Earlier when she ate 6, that was only a little more than she should have, but I let her do it because she was probably starving. I have a feeling she will probably only average about 1.5. And I will definitely watch her poo. I'm going to try fruits and veggies right now.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bratann617:

Jennefer (05-15-2017), Mel1959 (05-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BCChins View Post
    Jen can you post a few pictures of your dinner's please?
    Bcchins...heres tonights dinner....fv with ultraboost, noosa yogurt, fruits & veggies & hhb blocks, and "dry" bowl (oxbow rat food-trying out per dr. Emerson, dry oats, pecan pcs, live mealworms, freeze dried chicken). I cover the dry stuff with the fresh kale/bok choy so the have to "dig" to find goodies. Switch out pecan pieces with sunflower seeds (only 5 at a time so 1 per flyer) or almond pieces. Get hazelnuts in shell every 2 weeks as a goodie to work their teeth on. Get red hibiscus flowers every few night when i get new blooms (they love them)!! Waxworms every so often. Crickets from petco (gross but the love them).

Tonights fruit: apple, blueberries, strawberry tops

Tonights veggies: brussel sprouts, kale, bok choy, spinach, broccoli, avocado, green beans, pea pods, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, mini tomatoes

Other nights: peach, blackberries, raspberries, grapes, asparagus, scrambled eggs with shells, chicken wings plain no skin, clementines, cauliflower, watermelon, kiwi , carrots, celery, cucumber, zucchini, squash, romaine.

Mostly veggies & only 2-3 fruits per night. Always blocks & dry foods & formula & yogurt. I feed at night. Pull formula & yogurt out in morning so it doesnt sit all day. Oh...and fresh water morning & night! Just not in the picture!

Name:  20170515_191913.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  97.4 KB

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

BCChins (05-16-2017), bratann617 (05-15-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bratann617 View Post
    Yes, I feed her while she is inside my shirt. She should be eating 5.25 by weight. She just now only took 1.5. Earlier when she ate 6, that was only a little more than she should have, but I let her do it because she was probably starving. I have a feeling she will probably only average about 1.5. And I will definitely watch her poo. I'm going to try fruits and veggies right now.
    Good! Im glad shes eating. She may really like the ultraboost too. Keep trying wth veggies & fruits. Esp avacado if she used to like it. Key is balance & moderation. Formula should really help give her a bump.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (05-15-2017)

That's my hope! I don't want her on the formula any longer than necessary, but I'll do whatever is needed to make sure she is consuming something for now.

The formula is actually really good for her & you can keep her on it as long as you have her. All my guys drink it on their own in a dish....i put a little bit to cover bottom of dish. I wont use ultraboost forever...just wanted to keep fat on my guys going outside & on my newest baby since she was skinny. BUT since Tizzy has seizures, please be careful about putting too much/too deep in her cage. I wouldnt want her to fall in when shes seizing or if shes scared. Even if it just barely covers or wets the bottom of a shallow lizard bowl, she'll smell it & maybe lick it.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jennefer:

Yeah I guess I meant more that I don't want her on the ultraboost longer than necessary. I'll probably just keep syringe feeding her, just to avoid a potential accident by it being in a bowl. I know it would take much to drown her or for her to get it in her lungs and cause an infection. Thank you for the suggestion and warning about that though. Not everyone would think of all of it. She took a piece of broccoli from me and a piece of squirrel block, but didn't eat either. I'll keep trying though.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bratann617 from:

Jennefer (05-16-2017)

Tizzy feel better soon.
    You can try a piece of Avocado most love them.

Jen nice dinners love the visuals!! OK egg shells how do you serve them crushed big pieces ?? This sounds scary to me

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BCChins from:

bratann617 (05-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by BCChins View Post
    Tizzy feel better soon.
    You can try a piece of Avocado most love them.

Jen nice dinners love the visuals!! OK egg shells how do you serve them crushed big pieces ?? This sounds scary to me
    Thanks!!! I crush the shell up super fine into miniscule tiny pieces & scramble it with the egg. You almost cant tell theres shells in there.

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (05-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by bratann617 View Post
    Yeah I guess I meant more that I don't want her on the ultraboost longer than necessary. I'll probably just keep syringe feeding her, just to avoid a potential accident by it being in a bowl. I know it would take much to drown her or for her to get it in her lungs and cause an infection. Thank you for the suggestion and warning about that though. Not everyone would think of all of it. She took a piece of broccoli from me and a piece of squirrel block, but didn't eat either. I'll keep trying though.
    Agreed! Keep at her! My hubby is a deputy & former SWAT guy...he taught me "you dont just think to the corner, you think around the corner" & combined with my nature to worry, i think about the what ifs!!! Hugs for Tizzy!

34. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (05-16-2017)

Has anyone that has had their squirrel having seizures had their baby experience brain damage, either permanently or temporarily? If temporary, how long was the longest period before your baby got their personality back or seemed to fully recover from the seizure? Tizzy had her back to back seizures Friday night and she is still not back to normal. I'm really starting to worry that this is permanent. I want to believe that she will recover, but she has never taken this long before. Starting to lose hope that she will ever fully recover. And if she ever has an episode where she had back to back seizures again, I'm very worried about further brain damage and what she would end up like after that. Worried squirrel momma. I know I should try not to dwell on those questions, but I love her so much and can't help but wonder. I just don't know how long is "normal" for recovery.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast