Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flyer having seizures

Default Re: Flyer having seizures

Happy Friday! How is Tizzy doing? Is she putting on some pounds yet? (or should I say grams?! LOL)

I cant answer you on the seizure thing. Ive not had any seizure babies. I can tell you we just had Dr. Emerson speak at length at a squirrel meeting 2 weeks ago about seizures in squirrels. She is here in Florida (Port Orange, Ravenwood Clinic). She is really good. I have read on TSB that she does phone consults, so you might be able to talk to her on the phone. Her main parts of the lecture were about types of seizures (sounds like Tizzy is having grand mal ones from your descriptions - but Im not a vet so not sure), WHAT is causing them & HOW to treat them/meds, seizure protocol, etc. But meds are different based on what is causing them. She did say there is anti-seizure meds that can be given, but not sure with a flyer considering they are smaller & slightly different system than grays. It could be worth a try to see if you can talk to her. I do believe it was mentioned that the grande mal type seizures can cause brain damage (which she may already have if it's a congenital thing). Hard to tell. Hoping she is a bit more back to normal!

Hey sorry it took me so long to respond! She has not had anymore seizures so far. She is starting to eat some fruits and veggies for me, but not out of her normal food dishes. I either have to set the food on the cage wires or on a very shallow saucer. Her "normal" seizures happen about once a month or so, so I'm going we are in the clear for a while. I am going to see about taking her to our very and getting her put on anti seizure meds. I just can't stand the thought of her having more seizures if we can possibly prevent them with meds. Also, thank you for that vets info and thank you for thinking of my sweet girl and checking on her! Although she is eating some fruits and veggies she is still not eating much formula so she isn't really gaining weight yet. Honestly it seems like just when she starts to get some of her weight back, she seizes again and loses it all over again.

Remember that fruit is really to be very, very limited and protein is extremely important. Glad shes doing better, but her diet has to change or it will be very hard to get her healthy.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Mel1959 (05-21-2017)

Have you tried the Freeze Dried Chicken bites made by Stella & Chewy? If not I would give them a try.

To the veteran's on here do the freeze dried chicken bite give them enough protein if one can not get the to eat other forms of protein?

I am reading that some put a coating of Coconut oil on blocks to encourage them to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by BCChins View Post
    Have you tried the Freeze Dried Chicken bites made by Stella & Chewy? If not I would give them a try.

To the veteran's on here do the freeze dried chicken bite give them enough protein if one can not get the to eat other forms of protein?

I am reading that some put a coating of Coconut oil on blocks to encourage them to eat them.
    Hi bcchins! My guys eat the freeze dried chicken, but they also eat blocks, worms, nuts sparingly, yogurt, formula & scrambled eggs. So they get more than one source of protein which is good b/c not all of them eat the same foods equally. I rotate some of the choices to keep them interested. I feel like freeze dried only isnt enough unless they are eating a ton of it. Have you tried wax worms? My guys love the coconut oil on their blocks, but i do it now & then, not always.

Bratann....hows Tizzy doing? Hope she is well!!

Hi Jennefer!
    Tizzy had another seizure on Monday May 29th. It was another of the "bad" ones where she was having full on convulsions. This time it was one single seizure rather than back to back all day and night. Tizzy had a veterinary appt on Wednesday May 31st. The Dr was very concerned about her weight loss that is happening with the seizures. She says that, that is not necessarily "normal". I am supposed to feed her formula with the ultraboost (mixed 50/50) on top of all of her other food and get her to eat as much as I possibly can to get her to gain as much weight as I can as fast as possible. Tizzy is too small to run all of the "normal" tests that they would do to try to determine why she is having these seizures and why they are increasing in both frequency and severity. So since she can't run those tests, she is trying to make sure that we cover all of the bases. Tizzy is on an anti parasitic (panacur) once a day for 2 weeks. She is on an antibiotic (SMZ or Bactrim) twice a day for 1 month. Also a probiotic (Benebac) at least 2 hours or more after the antibiotic, which luckily she absolutely LOVES benebac so that's no trouble getting her to take that! LoL! She also started her on an anti seizure medication (Phenobarbital) that she takes once a day. If it doesn't work, we can bump it up to twice a day and if it still doesn't work, we can add the potassium bromide to the Phenobarbital. So far so good, but she isn't liking having all these meds shoved down her throat all day everyday. But soon enough it will hopefully just be once a day. The Phenobarbital can take 2 to 3 weeks to kick in, so if she has a seizure in the next couple of weeks, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's not working. Fingers crossed that this works and that she can get her life back soon! I really hope that the Phenobarbital takes care of both types of seizures and that eventually she can go back to having her "playtime" back outside of the cage. I plan on waiting a few more weeks to try that though. I need to give the anti seizure meds time to kick in. Thank you for checking on her!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bratann617 from:

Jennefer (06-06-2017)

Oh no...so sorry to hear Tizzy had more seizures! I cant offer any more advice in way of seizures & it sounds like you are in good hands. Bless little Tizzy's self & you too for going through all this. She's in good hands & lucky to have you - many others would have probably given up on her. Hang in there - let me know if you need anything or anything I can help with, even if it's just moral support! If I think of anything on the getting-her-to-eat-more subject, I'll let ya know! And, I'll be saying big squee prayers for Tizzy that her meds works & she gets better! Keep us updated. Always good to share info & learn. hugs from the Quads, Tiny & Zena to Tizzy

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (06-06-2017)

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers! Thank you for your support through all of this as well! I really would hate to think that others may have given up on her or any other babies. I hope that doesn't actually happen. Thank you for all of your advice and suggestions! I'll definitely keep you posted on how she is doing. Oh and I forgot to mention in yesterday's comment that we are also going to make Boo Balls and try to get her to eat those for the extra calories as well. Her brother, Stitch, definitely doesn't need any extra calories, LoL, so Tizzy will get to be alone when she eats those. They will be her special little treat!

Update on Tizzy:
    She is gaining some weight back! So excited today! I haven't actually weighed her yet, but it used to be so easy to tell them apart when they were in my shirt or when taking them out of their pouch. She was nothing but skin and bone! Now it's getting harder and harder to tell them apart. I did look up to see if phenobarbital causes weight gain, and it does. I'll have to keep an eye on her. We will keep her on the lowest dose possible that controls the seizures. I called the vet today to see if I needed to up the dose with weight gain, and that's what I was told. So far we won't touch the dose. If she has a seizure, then we will discuss upping the dose. I think she weighs more than she has in months and I couldn't be more excited about that! In a couple of weeks if we are still seizure free, I will consider letting her out of the cage for some playtime. Not quite ready to do that yet though. I'm still scared to be honest. She'll get a lot more exercise if the meds control the seizures, so that should help with weight problems. But, I am a really happy squirrel mommy right now since she is finally getting to a healthy weight and so far, no more seizures.

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to bratann617:

BCChins (06-15-2017), HRT4SQRLS (06-14-2017), Jennefer (06-14-2017), Mel1959 (06-14-2017)

Great news! Thank you for sharing. . I hope she stays seizure free.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

bratann617 (06-14-2017)

Yay!!!! that is an awesome update! Yay Tizzy!! what great news. Im glad her meds are working & shes gaining weight. Keep up the good work!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Jennefer from:

bratann617 (06-14-2017)

Fantastic! I'm very happy to hear this great update. Keep up the good work.
    I remember how worried you were when you first came on and NOW....

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

bratann617 (06-14-2017)

Thank you guys! Yes, I was very scared for her and thought I'd lose her! I'm not ready to hold my breath and say she won't have another seizure, but we are definitely a step in the right direction now!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234