Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flyer having seizures

Default Re: Flyer having seizures

Happy Friday! How is Tizzy doing? Is she putting on some pounds yet? (or should I say grams?! LOL)

I cant answer you on the seizure thing. Ive not had any seizure babies. I can tell you we just had Dr. Emerson speak at length at a squirrel meeting 2 weeks ago about seizures in squirrels. She is here in Florida (Port Orange, Ravenwood Clinic). She is really good. I have read on TSB that she does phone consults, so you might be able to talk to her on the phone. Her main parts of the lecture were about types of seizures (sounds like Tizzy is having grand mal ones from your descriptions - but Im not a vet so not sure), WHAT is causing them & HOW to treat them/meds, seizure protocol, etc. But meds are different based on what is causing them. She did say there is anti-seizure meds that can be given, but not sure with a flyer considering they are smaller & slightly different system than grays. It could be worth a try to see if you can talk to her. I do believe it was mentioned that the grande mal type seizures can cause brain damage (which she may already have if it's a congenital thing). Hard to tell. Hoping she is a bit more back to normal!

Hey sorry it took me so long to respond! She has not had anymore seizures so far. She is starting to eat some fruits and veggies for me, but not out of her normal food dishes. I either have to set the food on the cage wires or on a very shallow saucer. Her "normal" seizures happen about once a month or so, so I'm going we are in the clear for a while. I am going to see about taking her to our very and getting her put on anti seizure meds. I just can't stand the thought of her having more seizures if we can possibly prevent them with meds. Also, thank you for that vets info and thank you for thinking of my sweet girl and checking on her! Although she is eating some fruits and veggies she is still not eating much formula so she isn't really gaining weight yet. Honestly it seems like just when she starts to get some of her weight back, she seizes again and loses it all over again.

SammysMom is offline Administrator, Conn. Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator

Remember that fruit is really to be very, very limited and protein is extremely important. Glad shes doing better, but her diet has to change or it will be very hard to get her healthy.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Mel1959 (05-21-2017)

Have you tried the Freeze Dried Chicken bites made by Stella & Chewy? If not I would give them a try.

To the veteran's on here do the freeze dried chicken bite give them enough protein if one can not get the to eat other forms of protein?

I am reading that some put a coating of Coconut oil on blocks to encourage them to eat them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234