Thread: Broken back? (TN area)

Hybrid View

Default Broken back? (TN area)

Hi, I was a member of TSB a few years ago and forgot my log in info. The squirrels I had unfortunately didn't make it. I was in the backyard with my son and nephew on Sunday and heard a sound in the bushes. Being the curious one I am I went to investigate. It was a squirrel that had fallen from a tree. It did get up and try to run, but couldn't make it far. It tried to climb trees again and only made it a few feet up and would fall to the ground. I captured it, and put it an old large rabbit cage to keep it from hurting itself more. It seems to possibly have a broken back. It can't seem to o use back legs. It looks to be a young adult. I think female. It has calmed since I captured, but still gets scared and at times tries to run away or chatter. I have been giving water with a syrenge. It is taking quiet a bit. I have boiled it 4 eggs since I got it and it has eaten them all. Tonight it got boiled chicken, and egg, and some yogurt, and water of course. I mixed some calicum with the water. I am unable to hold it for the fear of getting bitten. What can I do to save this baby. My son is on a food supliment called pediasure, I thought about giving it some for the extra vitamins and calicum, but wasn't sure if it would be too strong. I have recently moved it in to my house to feel it out of the heat. It got in the 90s today. I'm willing to try to help it, but would rather send it to a rehab facility. I live in a small redneck town and if I take it to a vet they will want to put it down. And I fear so will our local wildlife agency. Someone please help me.. I'm not totally sure it's a broken back, but I'm almost positive. I can post video if I need to tomorrow so u can see the movement..right now it's curled up sleeping. Thank you!

Default Re: Broken back?

Can you post a picture so we can access it's age.
    It needs something to control pain and inflammation.
    It can be given infant ibuprofen if no other meds like predizone can be obtained.
    The dose is by weight if you can get a weight or we need to give a weight guess
    by picture.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Laura (06-13-2017)

Default Re: Broken back? (TN area)

How do I upload a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    How do I upload a pic?
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-upgraded-TSB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Laura (06-13-2017)

Name:  IMG_20170613_221205.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  93.8 KB

I laid half of boiled egg close so u can see size since she is curled up. I will try to upload video from yesterday

Did he curl his tail over his back all by himself? If so there's nerves doing something down there. Can you give this sweetheart some fleece or flannel--something he can't catch his nails in to hide under? It'll make him feel safer--less exposed. Thank you for caring. So many don't.

He ate eggs? Didn't think a squirrel would eat an egg unless it was REALLY hungry.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (06-15-2017), missPixy (06-14-2017)

Laura, first may I thank you for trying to help this poor little one. Here comes the part I hate to write every time I write it:

A squirrel dragging its hind legs can go one of two ways.
    Rarely, with good nutrition, pain alleviation and physical therapy, the animal may regain some of its hind leg mobility because the injury was merely nerve damage, not a fracture. OR, it may be a compression fracture resulting in permanent disability. There is no surgical option for this.

MOST OFTEN, the squirrel will die within 48 hours. If the spine is broken, the organs will begin to shut down but they don't shut down quickly.

What I would do is make this baby's next 48 hours as relaxing, safe, and yummy as possible. He will pass knowing that he is save and loved. Offer him hydrating fruits like watermelon, and yummy foods like avocado which most squirrels love. Don't call the authorities unless you are accepting of the fact that he will most likely die of his injury so you are going to alleviate his suffering.

Sorry to be such a downer.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber: