Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 44 of 44

Thread: Please advise! Need help with mbd!

  1. #41
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Indian head, maryland
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Please advise! Need help with mbd!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think you are doing a great job! . Squirrels are finicky and unpredictable with what they choose to eat. But think about all the different stuff they eat in the wild. One day they may eat a flower, then not touch one for a week. I think it's the same when they're captive.

    A couple of weeks ago I listened to a talk about squirrel nutrition given by Dr. Emerson, who is one of the best squirrel vets around. Based on the squirrels she has seen in her practice, she feels very strongly that a captive squirrels diet should be 75% rodent block, like Zupreem, Harlan Teklad, Mazuri or Oxbow. The remaining 25% be veggies, with just 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. She also feels that they should be offered protein in the form of worms, bugs, eggs, etc. These are the things they would eat in the wild.

    As for sun, she recommends 30-60 minutes a day. A full spectrum UV light can be substituted. The bulbs should be replaced every 6 months because although they will still work, they do not emit enough UV rays after that time.
    Bugs? Worms?? Oh the things we do for love!! Lol!
    And I'll check out the bulbs. Will come in handy for winter or these long stretches of gloomy days we've been having!
    Thanks for the suggestions!

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid -Atlantic
    Posts
    2,862
    Thanked: 707

    Default Re: Please advise! Need help with mbd!

    Weight is one of the most important factors in feeding a baby, followed only by correct formula and feeding times daily. A gram scale is a must to determine how much formula to feed daily. Amounts to feed are determined from 5-7% of the baby's weight to formula ratio. Without a weight you could be over feeding, under feeding, or anything in between.

    It it sounds like you are reading the healthy diet information and making the corrections needed. BTW, Mel just gave you some of the best advice from one of the most respected squirrel Veterinarians that TSB knows. Please consider that advice.
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association


  3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

    redwuff (05-21-2017)

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mid -Atlantic
    Posts
    2,862
    Thanked: 707

    Default Re: Please advise! Need help with mbd!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think you are doing a great job! . Squirrels are finicky and unpredictable with what they choose to eat. But think about all the different stuff they eat in the wild. One day they may eat a flower, then not touch one for a week. I think it's the same when they're captive.

    A couple of weeks ago I listened to a talk about squirrel nutrition given by Dr. Emerson, who is one of the best squirrel vets around. Based on the squirrels she has seen in her practice, she feels very strongly that a captive squirrels diet should be 75% rodent block, like Zupreem, Harlan Teklad, Mazuri or Oxbow. The remaining 25% be veggies, with just 1-2 pieces of fruit a day. She also feels that they should be offered protein in the form of worms, bugs, eggs, etc. These are the things they would eat in the wild.

    As for sun, she recommends 30-60 minutes a day. A full spectrum UV light can be substituted. The bulbs should be replaced every 6 months because although they will still work, they do not emit enough UV rays after that time.
    Great advice Mel. Thanks!!
    UDoWhat
    State Licensed Master Wildlife Rehabiltator
    Vice President, State Wildlife Rehabiltators Association


  5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to UDoWhat from:

    redwuff (05-21-2017)

  6. #44
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Indian head, maryland
    Posts
    33
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Please advise! Need help with mbd!

    Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Weight is one of the most important factors in feeding a baby, followed only by correct formula and feeding times daily. A gram scale is a must to determine how much formula to feed daily. Amounts to feed are determined from 5-7% of the baby's weight to formula ratio. Without a weight you could be over feeding, under feeding, or anything in between.

    It it sounds like you are reading the healthy diet information and making the corrections needed. BTW, Mel just gave you some of the best advice from one of the most respected squirrel Veterinarians that TSB knows. Please consider that advice.
    I'm 100% following what advice you all give!! I want to make sure he is happy and healthy! Have gotten right attached to this little guy! He needs bugs and worms? He's going to get bugs and worms!!

    And, I figured the gram scale would be helpful. It came in yesterday and made figuring the calcium dosing so much easier! I'm slowly learning.........!

  7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rockysmom:

    Nancy in New York (05-21-2017), UDoWhat (05-21-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •