Thread: Chipmunk dragging hind legs

Default Chipmunk dragging hind legs

So we had a crazy year where our oak tree dropped tens if not hundreds of thousands of acorns so the chipmunks are eating really good this year. We always have tons of them. I came across one yesterday whose back legs and tail seem to be paralyzed. Seems to be getting along okay, like it’s used to it. But I’m worried. I don’t know if it was born that way or it got injured. It’s living under my porch under a bunch of stuff so it’s protected from predators which is good. He comes out and finds food fine. I just don’t know if it got injured during childbirth or something I’m just worried, should I take it to the animal clinic?? Any advice?? I have videos of it. I doubt it’s a nutritional thing because I leave them all kinds of fruits and vegetables there’s a freshwater stream only a few dozen feet behind my house and like I said more than an abundant supply of acorns.

Default Re: Chipmunk dragging back legs

I would bring him in and place him in a clear plastic tub with a fleece throw that has the stitching removed so he doesn't get caught on the threads. Use heavy leather gloves so you don't get bitten.

If not he is easy prey for predators.

From there you want to place a heating pad on low under only half the container so he can get off the heat as he desires.

Providing water is key, a small tiny bowl, preferably like the tiny ones used for pet rodents.

If you have a bottle of dark molasses (not blackstrap as it is higher in iron) place a small drop on the rim of the water bowl as that can help with the stress of capture.

As for meds I leave that to the rehabbers here on TSB. Thank you for caring about this chippy.