I watched a young squirrel fall out of the tree, drag itself up again just to fall back down. I got him to crawl inside a carrier for me. He's currently in a cage in my bathroom (I have cats and I rescue ferrets so the bathroom is predator-free). He's alert, eating (black oil sunflower seeds he usually snags from the feeders outside), and drinking.

I took him with me to town because I figured I could drop him with the local licensed rehabber (just have 1 here), but she just texted me and said his spine is likely broken and I should have him put to sleep. My vet wouldn't see him even to euthanize, but the emergency clinic will euthanize. But, he's so alert, I feel wrong even considering it.

I figured this didn't belong under the life threatening one because he's eating and drinking. I saw some small poops in the carrier when I switched him to the cage as well. He's okay with me...But I have not attempted to actually handle him. He knows me because I fill the feeders all the time and once helped him when his foot was stuck about 2 or 3 weeks ago. But once I got home and he was outside with me while I washed up a cage, he was chewing on the carrier door and spazzing, trying to get free. But I can't let him go or he'll have another nasty fall!

I do have Prednisone on hand if that will help him. I have 5mg pills that I cut for my ferrets with insulinoma.

Oh and since he has a red stripe down his back, I assume he's a red squirrel.