Thread: Diet check

April13 Guest

Default Diet check

I just want to make sure the diet choices I have selected are ok. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome
    1. Available 24/7 - rat blocks...I hide them in around his cage for finding and a few kept in bowl .
    2.Bark, small branches, small pine cones, pine cone buds, apple tree branches, some flowers ..still learning what is safe
    3. Red lettuce, romaine lettuce, ( ADD spinach and kale 2x a week )zucchini, yellow squash ( pm only about 2 or 3 small pieces ), tomato ( 3 to 4 small diced pieces), mushrooms ( am only 2 to 3 small diced pieces )
    * will switch up the moderation foods per week
    4. As a midday snack 4 to 5 cheerios, dried banana, pumpkin seeds, 1 walnut or pecan in shell
    5. Has cuttle bone
    6. Loves the plain dry milk bone ( small ).
    He is not over weight ..seems happy , very active..

Default Re: Diet check

Quote Originally Posted by April13 View Post
    I just want to make sure the diet choices I have selected are ok. Any ideas or recommendations are welcome
    1. Available 24/7 - rat blocks...I hide them in around his cage for finding and a few kept in bowl .
    2.Bark, small branches, small pine cones, pine cone buds, apple tree branches, some flowers ..still learning what is safe
    3. Red lettuce, romaine lettuce, ( ADD spinach and kale 2x a week )zucchini, yellow squash ( pm only about 2 or 3 small pieces ), tomato ( 3 to 4 small diced pieces), mushrooms ( am only 2 to 3 small diced pieces )
    * will switch up the moderation foods per week
    4. As a midday snack 4 to 5 cheerios, dried banana, pumpkin seeds, 1 walnut or pecan in shell
    5. Has cuttle bone
    6. Loves the plain dry milk bone ( small ).
    He is not over weight ..seems happy , very active..

Not bad. What type of rat blocks are you feeding? They should be about 75% of his diet so you want to pick good ones like Teklad, Oxbow, or Zupreem.
    I feed more green leafy veggies than you have on your list: chickory, escarole and dandelion greens. High in calcium. Watch the pumpkin seeds; I think they are very high in phosphorous.
    Check the milk bone phosphorous as well if it's on the back of the box -- food for squirrels should, ideally, have twice the Calcium content as the Phosphorous content. If Phosphorous is actually higher, AVOID.
    Try feeding almonds instead of pecans. They contain magnesium and have a better Cal:Phos ratio than pecans. Pecans are basically a sugary treat.

Hope this helps!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

JoanP (05-08-2017), Mel1959 (05-04-2017)

April13 Guest

I am using Oxbow...I know the products, so confortable using. If you know Of something better. Cost is not a concern. I order through work so get clinic discount. I want to do whatever is best. I do have a few questions. Pig, (self explanatory) I could only use 3ml syringe to feed.
    1. When do I stop milk...I use the water bottle . one with milk ( small ) one with 1/2 water 1/2 pedilyte. ( medium ).
    2. He is not eating the rat block like he was. I read it is important.
    3. The milk bones are equal C:P. He loves them but If not a good idea.
    4. I am in the process of building his permenant cage is 5 foot high 2 foot wide enough room. he does get 1 to 2 hours play time out side the cage. When He is at work with me He loves when I am unpacking inventory he plays in all the boxes. he learning how far and high he can jump.
    5. Ideas for litter box training he does us it on occasion.
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I need to see how to insert a pic so you can tell me what kind of squirrel he is. I have a guess but want to verify

QUOTE=island rehabber;1216421]
    Not bad. What type of rat blocks are you feeding? They should be about 75% of his diet so you want to pick good ones like Teklad, Oxbow, or Zupreem.
    I feed more green leafy veggies than you have on your list: chickory, escarole and dandelion greens. High in calcium. Watch the pumpkin seeds; I think they are very high in phosphorous.
    Check the milk bone phosphorous as well if it's on the back of the box -- food for squirrels should, ideally, have twice the Calcium content as the Phosphorous content. If Phosphorous is actually higher, AVOID.
    Try feeding almonds instead of pecans. They contain magnesium and have a better Cal:Phos ratio than pecans. Pecans are basically a sugary treat.

Hope this helps!
    [/QUOTE]
    Read your great advice about foods. With only one baby boy squirrel, how do you keep food like leafy greens fresh when he only eats a tiny bit at a time, and the foods should be varied each day? Same problem with fruits. Good info about the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio, and about almonds vs. pecans. What about walnuts?
    I understand that nuts are a treat.
    My boy still only nibbles a speck of the rat block and then, only when I hold it, though he is capable of holding it himself.
    I am purposely not naming him in an effort to not fall in love with him. He seems to have passed that point, and enjoys being nursed, climbing on my shoulder and watching me do laundry, type reports and clean his cage. He is set up in front of a large window to the garden and hope that when the weather warms, the window can stay open during the day so he will hear more wildlife sounds.

Do not quite understand how to reply to he correct person, post photos, etc. just yet. I replied to moderator Island Rehab on post about diet choices. Think it went to original poster, and not the moderator.
    BTW?...my brother used to live on City Island and sailed and gardened there. Ex sister in law still lives there for past 40 years or so.

Members who have read this thread: 1