Thread: Itchy baby?

Question Itchy baby?

This is my first time raising a baby grey squirrel. Found only one. Very dehydrated and flea infested when found 4 days ago. Bathed in Dawn, since this is my usual procedure with puppies and kitten fosters. No fleas at all anymore, but baby boy keeps scratching himself and sometimes bites his tail.
    Good news is that he has finally started to put a tiny bit of weight on, loves being handled, takes about 9 ml of formula at each of 5 feedings a day, pees and poops after eating and exercise, sleeps soundly when in his crate.
    He is about 5 to 6 weeks old from what I have read and tries a bit of the rodent blocks when I hold it for him.
    Is his scratching usual? Could it be that his natural oils were removed by his Dawn dip?

Default Re: Itchy baby?

He sounds like typical squirrel, one that is always scratching...... we to use blue Dawn dish soap to wash our squirrels that are to young to use kitten Revolution on - they must be 8 weeks old.

I would suggest looking into getting some Revolution for the squirrel when it turns 8 weeks old just in case there might be some mites present.