Thread: formula question

Default formula question

I know about using the puppy formula for squirrel but for life of me i cant remember why not to use Kitten formula.
    My mom was out at pet store picked up can of KMR kitten formula i'm not sure if i can feed him this, Its all been Puppy that i have used,

2nd question, adding multivitamins to water bottle, Yes/no what age ?

Thanks a bunch

Default Re: formula question

Quote Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
    I know about using the puppy formula for squirrel but for life of me i cant remember why not to use Kitten formula.
    My mom was out at pet store picked up can of KMR kitten formula i'm not sure if i can feed him this, Its all been Puppy that i have used,

2nd question, adding multivitamins to water bottle, Yes/no what age ?

Thanks a bunch

It is not just any puppy formula it is Esbilac puppy formula (the powdered version). In CA I believe the only brand available that squirrels thrive on is the Royal Canin brand... or maybe its that Royal Canin is available in CA addition to the Esbilac?

KMR is too high in protein and it is also an inappropriate source of protein for squirrels. It will cause diarrhea, a failure to thrive and they basically starve to death despite being fed a good volume of formula. Some of my largest challenges were squirrels that arrived in my care after having been fed KMR for some time...

The short answer is that it is largely the protein to fat ratio, as well as the protein source (as mentioned).... then the minerals, vitamins, etc.

I have never added anything to the water... not sure I have ever seen it recommended either?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

I have him on Esbilac puppy formula already, It was the Kitten one that mom picked up. I will just donate the Kitten formula to my local shelter.
    I knew there was a prob with kitten one, Thanks filling me in on it.

And guess what its feeding time again.
    Name:  food.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  87.3 KB

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirp:

Mel1959 (04-28-2017), Spanky (04-28-2017)

What a cutie!

You know how to determine the amount of formula to feed by weight? If not, they should eat 5%- 7% of their body weight each feed. So for a 200gram squirrel, that would be 10ML - 14ML. And here is a link to the proper feeding technique (using a syringe with a nipple):

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

There is good info on this link as well (it is 6 pages long!).
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Squirrel-Care

Be sure to ask any and all questions you have!

for helping this little one and to TSB!

My guy is 110G's going on 6% and so 6.6cc then i let him lick on half a grape.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
    My guy is 110G's going on 6% and so 6.6cc then i let him lick on half a grape.
    I can understand the urge to provide treats but that usually will cause issues down the road. The first solid food introduced should be a high quality rodent block as that needs to be the foundation of their diet up until release. Only after she is eating the block very well should veggies be introduced, then fruit (and even then at a minimum). Nuts are special treats like cotton candy to a human toddler. I see a lot of complaints on TSB that people cannot get the squirrels under their care to eat their block, and I know it has to do with block being the first solid and then "training" them that they will not get veggies and fruit until they eat their block. And just like a toddler, if they know they will be pacified and given their dessert without having eaten their veggies and other more healthy dinner foods, they will soon refuse to eat the healthy knowing they will get their dessert regardless... do not fall into that pattern!

Here is the healthy diet pyramid:
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (04-29-2017)

I' making blocks for him today, On topic of the grape, what he gets is half a grape and licks out some of the inside.
    He is taking formula today ok. He is fighting more. Today is also 1st day he climbing up and around his cage.
    I must admit little buggers has some speed going on.

Its nice to see him moving and acting like a little play full Squirrel