Thread: Proper care for 5 week old that's not grown well

chrysalisx Guest

Default Proper care for 5 week old that's not grown well

I'm taking care of 2 squirrels for a friend for a couple of days who's nursing them for release after their nest was destroyed in a massive storm a month back. The big one is doing great, sucking down 8cc per day now, but his brother is about 40g lighter at just over 90g and just had a bit of diarrhea (I suspected MBD and the place I was getting my info said it was vital to get calcium in him NOW and that tums would do, so I gave him 1/8th a tab ground tums). This freaked me out a bit, so while he had diarrhea I was feeding him .5-1 cc pedialyte every hour or so, and I've now transitioned to a 4:1 ratio esbilac mixture, and started scaling back the frequency but upping the dosage and being VERY slow to administer (3cc over about 45 minutes). He's not eating well (though he never has but this is worse) He'll sometimes suckle for a moment but appears extremely weak so I'm slowly dripping food into his mouth. I plan on getting his primary caregiver to take him to a rehab center (Yggdrasil in the SF Bay or other similar) as soon as she's able, which should be later today. Should I be doing anything different here?

TLDR: He's about 5 weeks, his front teeth have just come in, his eyes opened 2 days ago, but he appears emaciated, particularly compared to his brother and is currently weak following a bout of diarrhea induced by a sudden and foolish diet change. Currently on 4:1 esbilac administered every 2 hours. What should I do different?

Default Re: Proper care for 5 week old that's not grown well

Quote Originally Posted by chrysalisx View Post
    I'm taking care of 2 squirrels for a friend for a couple of days who's nursing them for release after their nest was destroyed in a massive storm a month back. The big one is doing great, sucking down 8cc per day now, but his brother is about 40g lighter at just over 90g and just had a bit of diarrhea (I suspected MBD and the place I was getting my info said it was vital to get calcium in him NOW and that tums would do, so I gave him 1/8th a tab ground tums). This freaked me out a bit, so while he had diarrhea I was feeding him .5-1 cc pedialyte every hour or so, and I've now transitioned to a 4:1 ratio esbilac mixture, and started scaling back the frequency but upping the dosage and being VERY slow to administer (3cc over about 45 minutes). He's not eating well (though he never has but this is worse) He'll sometimes suckle for a moment but appears extremely weak so I'm slowly dripping food into his mouth. I plan on getting his primary caregiver to take him to a rehab center (Yggdrasil in the SF Bay or other similar) as soon as she's able, which should be later today. Should I be doing anything different here?

TLDR: He's about 5 weeks, his front teeth have just come in, his eyes opened 2 days ago, but he appears emaciated, particularly compared to his brother and is currently weak following a bout of diarrhea induced by a sudden and foolish diet change. Currently on 4:1 esbilac administered every 2 hours. What should I do different?
    What is the Esbilac formula you are feeding? Liquid or powered?
    How is his breathing, do you hear any clicking when he breathes?
    Is this baby dehydrated?
    The 4-1 ratio of formula is too diluted, only allowing hydration, nothing
    toward nutrition. May as well be giving plain water...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

chrysalisx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    What is the Esbilac formula you are feeding? Liquid or powered?
    How is his breathing, do you hear any clicking when he breathes?
    Is this baby dehydrated?
    The 4-1 ratio of formula is too diluted, only allowing hydration, nothing
    toward nutrition. May as well be giving plain water...
    1) Powdered & reconstituted using 160 degree water, then allowed to cool. Checked the label for the 5 primary ingredients
    2) His breathing is ok I believe? I just checked again and there is a slight clicking - I thought it was just him clicking his teeth together though. I'm giving him back in an hour or two and will make sure he gets out for aspiration.
    3) I've since stepped up to 3:1 and 2:1, he's doing better but still dehydrated and not eating as enthusiastically as he should. Note that full strength here is 2:1 (water to powdered formula)

What's the status of this little one? Did you get him on an antibiotic?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.