Thread: BROOKLYN NY HELP NEEDED! Found a 7-ish week old orphan: won't eat or drink

Exclamation BROOKLYN NY HELP NEEDED! Found a 7-ish week old orphan: won't eat or drink

Hi guys,

I found a baby yesterday, who was hiding out and super-aggressive and frightened. Based on pics I've seen of other babies, I'm guessing she is about 7 weeks old. I am going to take her to a rehabber as soon as possible, and it looks like that will be tomorrow or Sunday.

She hasn't eaten or had anything to drink since I brought her home last night; while she was hiding yesterday, I think she ate a bit of the avocado I left for her.

So far I have offered:
    -small bowl of water
    -small bowl of pedialyte (unflavored, as well as strawberry)
    -some fox valley I had bought last year for nutrition balls for another wild (expired in sept, but I had it in the fridge, and nothing seemed off about it, so I tried to mix some and give through a dropper on the off chance that she would take it)
    -pedialyte in a dropper (she screams and recoils when the dropper or anything gets close to her face)
    -left a small dish of fruits and veggies (pieces of avocado, romaine, strawberry, and watermelon, along with a couple of pecan pieces)
    -in desperation, I tried a tiny bit of pb on a spoon, and some baby food (those apple squeeze packets). She squacks and recoils at those too (even when I wrap her in fleece and try to cover her eyes)

Though she seemed energetic/angry enough yesterday, I'm concerned she is losing (or going to lose steam) if she doesn't eat and drink. She also has some fleas, and I think she might be sneezing a little (I can't tell if it just another aggressive noise, or if she is sneezing).

Do you guys have any recos for getting her to eat/drink? I could go to the pet store/cook up anything you recommend! Is there anything else I can do to help her (have her in a carrier in a dark quiet room with a fleece blanket she is burrowed into).

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Found a 7-ish week old orphan: won't eat or drink

I just took a video of her. I'm not sure what the black stuff on her nose is--if it is mud or dried blood. She was pretty tired to let me hold her like this. I tried to get her mouth open when brushing her--not sure if those teeth look normal? Tops are teeny! and bottom ones are huge. Her mouth looks pink so I *think* that is a good sign?

I know people recommend dawn baths for the fleas--since she isn't eating, would that do more harm than good? Want to stop the biting, but don't want to stress her more or put her at more risk.

Thank you!!!

I'm not an expert and I'm sure someone more experienced will be along to help you.

You can search the site for the homemade hydration fluid. It's water, sugar and salt. I just can't recall the amounts. I'd see if you can get a 1 or 3 cc syringe and give it to her that way. She was probably spunky at first because she hadn't been alone long? If she hasn't taken anything to drink she's likely getting dehydrated so maybe she'll be more willing to take fluid. Be careful with a dropper because she can aspirate and get pneumonia. If her top teeth are small they may just be coming in. She likely still needs formula but needs to be hydrated first. She also needs to be up in a bin with a heating pad under half of it. Put some t-shirts or fleece in the bin with her.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you and give you more information.

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

Sammy's TSB Thread Marvin and Charlie's TSB Thread Sadie's TSB Thread

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

Thank you so much! I got the syringe, but she still doesn't want anything to do with it yet :/ So I just put fresh bowls of the pedialyte and water in with her. She is def not a fan of me, so hoping she drinks a bit when the monster is away.

I also picked up a heating pad--can I put it under the carrier? Or is that too thick? I have a bin, but wasn't sure if I should poke holes in it or something? She's a jumper when she's mad, so it will need a lid!

Thanks again!!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fenchurch from:

Jen413 (04-28-2017)

Putting it under her carrier is fine. Just put it under half so if she gets too warm she can move away from the heat. You may need to wrap her in a blanket and cover her eyes to get her to drink. Try to force it slowly...drop by drop so she can get something. That's what I had to do with my little guy. I didn't know it at the time but the right side of his jaw was crushed. It was a long slow process. I forced drop by drop just inside the side of his cheek every 15 minutes. I'm not sure of her age so I'm not sure if she can drink anything from a bowl. Can you post a full body picture of her?

“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ― John Bunyan

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Default Re: BROOKLYN NY HELP NEEDED! Found a 7-ish week old orphan: won't eat or drink

I messaged one of the admins because she's in NY. She is super swamped right now but changed the title of your thread to hopefully bring some NY help your way. As soon as she is freed up I'm sure she will touch base with you.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017), Nancy in New York (04-28-2017)

Default Re: BROOKLYN NY HELP NEEDED! Found a 7-ish week old orphan: won't eat or drink

Awesome; thank you so much! I've been in touch w/ a local rehabber who can take her this weekend; I just am trying to keep her in good shape until then!

I put the heating pad on medium and put it under the back of the carrier. I also gave her the strawberry pedialyte through the syringe like you suggested--she was mad at first but once she had a couple of drops her instincts seemed to kick in and she grabbed it! I think she got 2-3mL before she got mad. I'll try to give her more in a bit.

Breathing a huge sigh of relief that something got into her--thank you SO much!!

I also got a couple of pics--she burrows pretty quickly, so they aren't the best, but hopefully will give a better idea of her size! Her top two teeth are pointy little things, if that helps to know!

Name:  IMG_2221-2.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  134.2 KBName:  IMG_2227-2.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  124.9 KB

I'm so happy she took something!!:w00

I didn't realize you'd already been in contact with one. I just remembered you saying you were trying to get her to one. I was worried if she didn't get some liquid into her soon she might not make it long enough. I'm SO glad she got something in her. Hopefully now she knows shes getting some good stuff she will continue to take it and maybe start to trust you a little more. Great job!! I'm not a great judge on age once they reach the bushy tail stage. I'd guess maybe 8/9 weeks? Check this and see if it helps you any: http://www.arcforwildlife.com/images...irrels-lrg.jpg

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

I'm not sure if you've mentioned this but does this little one stand up?
    Does she appear to have pain?
    We can dose infant ibuprophen if she does.

Try to keep her hydrated as much as possible, that is key.
    Do like jlee suggested and cover her eyes when trying to feed.
    This is a difficult age, as they are so scared and the grumbling
    and growling is for that reason.

Is the rehabber able to take her any sooner?
    Do you want us to look for help before this other person gets her?

I worry about her not taking enough fluids, that really is the most important
    thing. Can you pick her up? I think she may be a little older than 7 weeks as
    her tail looks quite bushy?
    Thank you SO much for helping this little one.

Do you see any marks on her.

In the video I only saw one bottom tooth, are there actually 2?

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Grinderhead (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

Covered her eyes and it helps a lot; thank you!

She has had 7mL more pedialyte in the last couple of hours. I tried giving her puppy formula, and she wants nothing to do with it--so maybe she was already weaned?

She does stand up, and has "escaped" into my bathroom a couple of times, and started to climb my leg before she changes her mind . When she was hiding in the stump she would climb a nearby tree but act frozen and scared at the top, and was always back in the stump again when I'd return. So it's tough to tell if she is in pain, and just adrenaline is over riding it or not. When she was asleep in my hands in the video, I tried touching all of her paws and her teeth with the toothbrush, and didn't get any reaction, but she may have just been dehydrated and zonked out since she hadn't been eating/drinking at that point.

I just got a better look at her teeth, and both bottoms are there (and very sharp looking!)

I can't get a great look at her all over, but in terms of marks/injuries:
    -I think the black stuff on her nose was/is a scab, and a piece of it has now fallen off (I just took this new video, and it looks red where the scab was)
    -she has a good amount of fleas (I've seen worse though)
    -I'm pretty sure its a sneeze I'm hearing from her periodically

I haven't been able to get a full look at her all over, since she fights so much at being handled unless I have her wrapped, but I don't think she has any others.

I think the other rehabber is going to get back to me this eve about when I can bring her by; if it is going to be a while (late tomorrow or Sunday), or you think she needs attention more urgently I would love to figure out a plan B! I can bring her anywhere in the city or just outside of it.

How much should she be drinking/eating? And do you think she might need an antibiotic w/ the sneezing? I don't think a cat got to her (at least no obvious marks, but I haven't been able to look thoroughly) but I know that's a really dangerous possibility, and might be best to treat for it.

Thank you so so much!!https://youtu.be/tR5tem5YguM
    Last edited by Fenchurch; 04-28-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Forgot link to video!

I do believe you have yourself a lil boy!!

I don't believe he was already weaned. Sammy was probably 12 or more weeks before he started weaning and I think that baby is younger. I'd try to get him to an experienced rehabber ASAP seeing that he's a little more skittish. He may refuse formula until he's fully hydrated and/or because he's older and will be more difficult in general. Keep pushing fluids. Have you seen him potty at all? Maybe when it gets dark you can dim the lights and wipe him down with some water with a little dawn to kill the fleas.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017), Nancy in New York (04-28-2017)

You are doing fantastic. I am going to pm you contact information, just in case.
    Thank you SO much for helping this little one.
    You really are the best for going above and beyond, thank you!

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Jen413 (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

Thank you both so much!!

I will get him (good eye--gotta change my pronouns now!) to a rehabber asap; I'm guessing that will be sometime tomorrow at this point.

2 more quick questions then I will stop hassling you for the eve (I think!):

• How much formula should I be pushing on him, once he is hydrated?
    • Do you think I should do the infant ibuprofen just in case he is hurting? I have a kitchen scale I could plunk him on if it is a weight-dependent dose

Thanks again--you guys are awesome!

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Fenchurch:

Jen413 (04-28-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

I have a boy so I see that little thing poking out of his fur all the time.

Rule of thumb is to feed 5-7% of their body weight. To dose the meds they will need to know his weight in grams. I can't tell you if he needs them or not though. I'll let Nancy or someone more experienced answer that.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Jen413:

Fenchurch (04-28-2017), Nancy in New York (04-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenchurch View Post
    Thank you both so much!!

I will get him (good eye--gotta change my pronouns now!) to a rehabber asap; I'm guessing that will be sometime tomorrow at this point.

2 more quick questions then I will stop hassling you for the eve (I think!):

• How much formula should I be pushing on him, once he is hydrated?
    • Do you think I should do the infant ibuprofen just in case he is hurting? I have a kitchen scale I could plunk him on if it is a weight-dependent dose

Thanks again--you guys are awesome!
    I would say if you've seen him jumping around etc. and
    see no visible sign of "trauma" that he most likely is ok.
    I can send you the dosing chart JUST IN CASE through
    the night, you see something to indicate pain, then you'll
    have it.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Fenchurch (04-29-2017), Mel1959 (04-28-2017)

Thank you! He is rustling around in his fleece. I haven't found any poop/pee, but he spilled some water in the cage, so there might be some (or maybe absorbed by the fleece?)

I just weighed him and he is 223g. He ate about 2-3ccs of the Esbilac last night, but only wanted pedialyte this morning (2ccs). I think what might be happening is that if the syringe bumps the scabs on his nose, it hurts and he recoils, so I might just try giving him the infant ibuprofen and seeing if that makes him more willing to eat and drink more. Once I get him settled in this morning I'll figure out how to get him to a pro today. Thank you guys so much!!

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Fenchurch:

Nancy in New York (04-29-2017), stepnstone (04-30-2017)

I've noticed baby squirrel pee has almost no smell, maybe none. Fleece does a good job in soaking it up so he may be peeing and you dont notice. Id be concerned if he doesn't start pooping though.
    Sciurus meus amicum optimum est!

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to niapet:

Fenchurch (04-30-2017), Mel1959 (04-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by niapet View Post
    I've noticed baby squirrel pee has almost no smell, maybe none.
    That's because they need to grow to get ripe...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Mel1959 (04-30-2017)

Thanks again for all the help!

He was pooping and peeing and being very actively angry last night, and he was eating about 10ccs of formula per feeding. All of the scabs had also fallen off of his nose by this morning too.

I brought him to a very nice rehabber today, so he could join some other guys. The rehabber says he's pretty old and should be releasable soon so fingers crosssd!

Thanks again!

34. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Fenchurch:

island rehabber (04-30-2017), Mel1959 (04-30-2017), stepnstone (05-01-2017)

Update on this guy: He's doing really well at the rehabber's, although he is in a solo cage (he isn't particularly fond of company--human or otherwise!). He is eating solid foods like a champ and should be released soon!

Thanks again for all of the great advice and support!!!

36. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Fenchurch:

Jen413 (05-09-2017), Nancy in New York (05-09-2017), stepnstone (05-09-2017)