Thread: people friendly squirrel with bugs

Default people friendly squirrel with bugs

Workers were cutting down trees and two squirrels came out one ran the other ran up a workers leg and was not afraid in the least didnt attempt to bite or get away hes quite content being held he looks to be full grown we put him in a cage with a nest and some sticks food and water until we decide if he is ok and he is less scared but holding him a few flea looking bugs came off and are all through his coat I dont think they are fleas and was going to attempt to bath him to get them off not sure if thats the problem but he doesnt seem to be hurt just a little scared he wants to be held but Idk if these bugs are making him sick? Any advice how to get rid of them

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to jenb:

gunpackingrandma (04-26-2017), island rehabber (04-25-2017)

Default Re: people friendly squirrel with bugs

Thanks for saving him! A warm water solution with a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid works very well: just wipe him down with the solution and fleas/mites willl jump off and die.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

gunpackingrandma (04-26-2017)

Hi jenb, I can't imagine that this would be an adult wild that would allow someone to hold him. That behavior is pretty common for baby squirrels but certainly not adults. Even young juveniles would be very afraid unless they have been orphaned. If they are alone, babies will seek out the help of people.

If this is indeed an adult, I wonder if it has a head injury. A 'normal' adult wild will bite you like you have never been bitten before. Be very careful.

We get fleas off by a warm bath with a little Dawn dish soap. You might want to rub with a warm damp cloth with a little Dawn on it. If you have a dog or cat and have access to Revolution, a drop between the shoulders will also get rid of fleas.

Again, if this is a wild adult, I wouldn't recommend bathing him. Know what I mean!

to TheSquirrelBoard

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

gunpackingrandma (04-26-2017), island rehabber (04-25-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jenb View Post
    Workers were cutting down trees and two squirrels came out one ran the other ran up a workers leg and was not afraid in the least didnt attempt to bite or get away hes quite content being held he looks to be full grown we put him in a cage with a nest and some sticks food and water until we decide if he is ok and he is less scared but holding him a few flea looking bugs came off and are all through his coat I dont think they are fleas and was going to attempt to bath him to get them off not sure if thats the problem but he doesnt seem to be hurt just a little scared he wants to be held but Idk if these bugs are making him sick? Any advice how to get rid of them
    I used diatomaceous earth with mine because they were 2 days old and there was no way I could put caustic chemicals on them. They had lice or something like that. I dipped my finger in it and rubbed it on them. No more bugs! Then I got a little 5 weeks old with fleas and bugs. Diatomaceous earth to the rescue! It works and is more natural and less chance of side effects IMO. Hope this helps!

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ScrappyDo:

gunpackingrandma (04-26-2017), Lighten-Up (04-26-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017), Rexie (04-25-2017)