Thread: Post-release squirrel vomiting

Default Post-release squirrel vomiting

It seems my drama never ends.
    MineyMo is 9 days post-release. She's been doing phenomenally well alongside her brothers.
    This evening I went out to check on them and she was on the ground with her brother, but raced up the tree when I approached. This is VERY unusual for her. She usually walks up and greets me, then carries on.
    She went on the ledge of her nest box, and maybe 5 minutes later began to vomit/regurgitate off the side. I don't know if she just started or not, but there isn't any more that I can see except what's in the photo. She happened to drop it all on the rung of an extension ladder still against the tree.
    There may be a little more, but not much.
    Looks like whatever she recently ate, which is most likely bird mix- striped sunflower seeds and peanuts.
    When she hurt her eye, she holed up in the box like this.
    I'm very worried as I can't get to her. She'd bite me for certain if I tried to pull her out even if I could.
    I've read through some posts and gather she ate something that didn't agree with her (best), to esophageal obstruction.
    What to do?
    Name:  IMG_0113.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  123.1 KBName:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  111.3 KB

Default Re: Post-release squirrel vomiting

It may be a one-time event, these things often are, and she will be fine. Make sure she has access to fresh, clean water because vomiting dehydrates them. All you can do right now is keep a close watch on her.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Coffeeculturegvl (04-24-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017), Mel1959 (04-24-2017), SammysMom (04-24-2017)

Shortly after I released my boys one of them vomited, too. It only happened the one time and I suspect it was from eating something in the yard that didn't agree with him or wasn't good for him. He's never done it again that I'm aware of. However, he does continue to be my problem child by getting into fights and biting his momma.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Coffeeculturegvl (04-24-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017)

I'll be up at dawn, sitting with my coffee, waiting for the trio to emerge. Hopefully, she'll be ok by tomorrow. Maybe it's a case of gorging and over filling her stomach. I'll update once I've seen her and given her a good look, assuming she comes to me.

I think I've aged about 10 years these last few weeks releasing and re-releasing these children.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017), SammysMom (04-25-2017)

Miney was up with the group. She stayed in the tree staring at me, while her brothers ran around up there.
    She called out a healthy warning about something in another yard, though, so my gut says this isn't life threatening.
    One concern was that my nasty neighbor who caused such a problem during their first release maybe had put out something toxic. The brothers seem fine, though, and they're the roamers. Miney stays pretty close to Home Tree. I've got lots of clean water out, scattered in several easy access places.

That same neighbor is now asking us to take down a "diseased" oak overhanging his house. Also happens to be the one right next to the oak with their nest box.
    I don't believe he'd stoop to that level of evil, but if there exists a link to some detailed info what to look for with toxicity symptoms, that would help in case the brothers start having problems.

I think with poison you will see foaming at the mouth and convulsions.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Coffeeculturegvl (04-25-2017)

Most rodent poisons are anticoagulants so bleeding would be something you might see.

I hope your neighbor doesn't stoop to this level but he does seem like a real 'class act'.
    The part I find interesting is that if you choose to... you could make his life miserable. Your 'squirrel thing' is likely to be over in a month or so as they wild up. When that happens they won't seek your attention and will be just one of the wilds in the yard.

His 'hypersensitive' child on the other hand is a lifetime commitment. If he continues to harass the neighbors, he might just find that the neighbors will take up woodworking or something like that in their garage. See what I mean.
    He has more to lose than anyone.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Coffeeculturegvl (04-25-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017)

Miney is fine.
    She was out foraging and came right to me. Eating, drinking, acting fine.

Hopefully, others will find this post when needed and at least have an idea what might be going on.

Thank you all.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coffeeculturegvl:

Mel1959 (04-25-2017), SammysMom (04-25-2017)

Good to know what to look for. Thanks!

Nugget has mostly wilded up. He darts away, keeps to himself, etc. Grayson is acting more independent. Miney, surprisingly, is friendlier than she was in the RC. Go figure.

And as for the neighbor.... I'm fed up. If he doesn't threaten the squirrels, that's the smartest thing he can do. But his petty demands, the tree, our dog "scaring" his kids....if he keeps up, yeah, we have LOTS of outdoor projects to do in the BACK yard. Daytime (I.e. Nap time) stuff.

And about time to start having big employee appreciation pool parties. With booze. They're ALL in their 20's. :::

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Most rodent poisons are anticoagulants so bleeding would be something you might see.

When that happens they won't seek your attention and will be just one of the wilds in the yard.

His 'hypersensitive' child on the other hand is a lifetime commitment. If he continues to harass the neighbors, he might just find that the neighbors will take up woodworking or something like that in their garage. See what I mean.
    He has more to lose than anyone.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coffeeculturegvl from:

Mel1959 (04-25-2017)