Thread: Are either of these commercial products healthy enough for wild squirrels?

Default Are either of these commercial products healthy enough for wild squirrels?

Name:  Wild Harvest.jpeg
Views: 148
Size:  30.4 KB http://www.wildharvestpets.com/Small...ily-Blend.aspx

Name:  pkg-mouse-rat.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  38.9 KB http://www.mannapro.com/smallworld/products/mouse-rat

I have a momma w/ babies in a nearby oak tree, plus 1-2 others who wander through. I'd like to give them some extra help, and wondered how these products measured up. Thanks!

Default Re: Are either of these commercial products healthy enough for wild squirrels?

Definitely not the seed mixture. I'm not familiar with that brand of rodent block, but from what I have heard it is difficult to get wilds to eat rodent block....there's just not enough of a yummy taste. What folks have done with rodent block like that is grind it into a powder (with a blender) and then add some type of fruit babyfood, powdered calcium carbonate, some ground nuts and a little coconut oil. You want the mixture to be very stiff. Then put it in the fridge to chill it thoroughly. When it's chilled you can make it into small balls. Some wilds will eat these. There's lots of variations of this boo ball recipe listed in the Nutrition section.

Or you could buy Henrys Healthy Blocks from Henrys Pets online. There's several varieties, but I get the wild bites for mine and they are very happy to get them. They offer complete balanced nutrition in a little block form. I keep mine in the freezer and offer them frozen when I feed.

Thank you for helping your wild friends with some healthy food.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (04-24-2017)

Default Re: Are either of these commercial products healthy enough for wild squirrels?

I can't speak to the products you show, but I agree with Mel that the seed mixture is not the best with the corn in it etc.

Have you thought of offering them some very healthy nuts like almonds and filberts; maybe also pecans and walnuts? These are expensive, but they have excellent nutrients that would definitely augment their diet. And if you only have a few squirrels, you might be able to put out just a few now and then to give them a boost which is your desire. Maybe you are already doing this.

Consider also some occasional coconut meat and avocado. These two things also have nutrition boosting qualities. I feel that squirrels that need what these foods have in them will eat them, if they don't they won't. I've had several squirrels pass these by with a one sniff test, then I've had another squirrel come up, sniff it and grab it as if it had found gold.

For sure, having some sunflower seeds, black oil is good, is helpful for squirrels. It is important that they don't eat too many of them, but sunflower seeds do have good nutrients, when eaten in moderation.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lighten-Up from:

Mel1959 (04-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I feel that squirrels that need what these foods have in them will eat them, if they don't they won't.
    I'm not so sure that they're always so discerning...some of my wilds would eat peanuts all day if I let them!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Cubby from:

Mel1959 (04-24-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    I'm not so sure that they're always so discerning...some of my wilds would eat peanuts all day if I let them!
    Actually, I totally agree with you, I pondered about 3 minutes before deciding to keep it worded like that, because I thought, there are a few ways to take that...but at the time, I couldn't think how to reword what I was trying to say. So I posted it.

In some cases, when it comes to junk food, they are not discerning at all...they'll eat whats bad for them. I couldn't agree more.

But I do think, that in some other foods that are nutritious/medicinal in nature, that they might actually use their discernment more in those cases, that is more what I meant. You helped me clarify.

Thanks...

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Diggie's Friend (10-08-2017), Mel1959 (04-24-2017)