Thread: Frances won't leave RC

Default Frances won't leave RC

Name:  DSCN0942.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  108.3 KBTwo weeks ago the squirrels had their first day out. Basil took off and has come back to the deck for sunflower seeds and to cuss me out for walking in front of him and left, never to return.

Frances, on the other hand, left for two days and came back a different gal. She used to be pretty bitchy in general to me before release but now is waiting at the back door every day and while she ventures out for a few hours each day, she is hanging out on my deck, burying her nuts in my baby plants and laying in that cube like sloth.

No outward signs of injury, moves normally, has appetite. Does have red armpits and spot on belly but doesn't seem to bother her and I imagine it was from a tree climbing incident.

I have to have this RC down by mid May so that the rotting deck can be redone. I bought two new nest boxes but don't know where to put them. She wants to be close. Do I kick her off the deck and just hang a box on one of the trees?

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

ClemC5 (04-24-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017), Mel1959 (04-23-2017)

Default Re: Frances won't leave RC

Aw, I love when they decide to stick close to home. Well, in this case perhaps a little too close.. I would definitely stick a nest box up in the closest tree you have to the deck and maybe even put a little piece of blanket or something that has her scent on it inside the box so perhaps she would feel more comfortable taking it over as her new home. I did with this with Lenny when I released him and he immediately took right to his new box in the tree. Hope you will have the same experience with Francis.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

4. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

cava (04-23-2017), Grinderhead (04-23-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017), Mel1959 (04-23-2017), missPixy (04-23-2017), Nancy in New York (04-23-2017)

Thanks so much for the advice. I was sort of formulating a similar plan.

Frances Pants, it would seem, has now adopted me (or my stuff). Either way, I love her.

6. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

ClemC5 (04-24-2017), gunpackingrandma (04-24-2017), lennysmom (04-23-2017), Mel1959 (04-24-2017), missPixy (04-23-2017), Nancy in New York (04-23-2017)

Hi Cava,

I love the photo! :-)

It would seem ideal, if you could hang a box up that she takes to, before you take down the RC.

Here's just another thought on perspective. Do consider that it has only been two weeks, and some squirrels take longer to adapt to new conditions. I had two, and similar to you, one went wild-ish very quickly, glad to be on her own. The other, was looking for me all the time.... "Do you have a nut?" "What are you doing?" "Can I help?"

It was actually a lot of surprise and fun. I'd be putting in a garden on my hands and knees, butt in the air, and the squirrel, without my awareness would crawl under my legs and right up to under my chest where I was digging in the ground with my hands, and just peer at what I'd be doing. "What-cha-doin-mom?" Hillarious!! Then I'd be carrying a stack of firewood, arms full to the brim of heavy stuff, and I'd pass by an outbuilding, and "wham" squirrel leapt onto my back for a ride.... I was not even aware that she was around. These things were hilarious and shocking when they happened, and I learned that I had to always be ready for the completely unexpected. These things were very endearing :-). The downside, was that after "months" of this, I wondered if I had done her well, would she ever be wild? Not that I wanted her to, I loved the interaction, at the same time, I did want her to have the best chance at success, and I simply questioned things. I question everything....

Then she had babies, and that changed a lot. She never got aggressive, she just all of a sudden had a lot of other things to do, and seeking me out, fell off her "to-do-today-list". A lot. Weeks went by when I would see her, but she would not come by. She'd actually prefer to gather the nuts that I had tossed to wilds, that they missed, than come to me for a nut. This did hurt a little, because I had become so accustomed to her always running to me. But I adapted. :-) She's been out for almost a year now, and she's on her own a lot more now, she still comes by, but she's not a "fixture". This actually makes me feel better. I love that I have squirrels who are mostly on their own, but still know who I am, and appreciate the perks of good quality nuts. :-)

Her babies are probably about ready to come out the nest soon, and just this week, she ran up my leg! Back to her old tricks. Just goes to show me, to realize that there may be many cycles and changes and that things can cycle back around again...

Enjoy your squees, whatever they do, they are all unique, that is for sure!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

cava (04-25-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I think she must have heard me because she's been gone since yesterday and I have a wild juvie hopping in and out of the cage because I left a block inside for F.

I saw tail out the window and said "Frances!" and ran down the stairs and out the back door and juvie was on the cage and I said, "What the hell? You're not Frances." She just stood there, not even phased, as if to say, "Well, can I have her nut then?"

I have two new nest boxes I received from Amazon and I added predator guard inside and "porch" outside.

I know she will come and go. I just want her to be happy. Thanks again for the reply!

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to cava:

lennysmom (04-26-2017), Lighten-Up (04-26-2017), Mel1959 (04-25-2017)