Thread: baby squirrel with pneumonia

Rescuegal Guest

Default baby squirrel with pneumonia

I was called today about a baby squirrel found next to it's dead mom this am ...it was 38 degrees out and raining. Squirrel is 6 to 7 weeks old but not accepting any food. Will take a bit of formula and electrolyte mix thankfully. But clicking with every breath and a bit heavy breathing and not very active.

I have him in a pouch with a heating pad on half and next to me for body heat. I live in a very rural area with very little rescue considerations (most people consider squirrels vermin here ) ... so I'm about it. I have terameyacyn (sp ) made for chickens I can buy at the feed store or penicillin G also at the feed store I could buy. I have one Cipro 500 MG pill and three pills left from a Z pack. I have abuterol inhalers and prednisone I could break up.

What of the above can I use and how do I dose them ?

Default Re: baby squirrel with phenomena

How much does this little tyke weigh. Cipro is the best drug to use. Did you get him warm before offering hydration fluid? And also warm hydration fluid and formula before administering.

It sounds like you have done this before? Don't want to assume you don't know anything but want to cover bases.

Hydrate depending on how dehydrated, and then start formula 1/4 strength for a few feelings, 1/2 strength for a few feelings, 3/4 strength and then on to full strength formula.

What type of formula do you have? There is also a concern that the baby might have nursed on the dead momma. If that is true, we will have to see how he fares. Get the wt and I will dose for you.

Thank you for caring for this squirrel?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017), UDoWhat (04-21-2017)

I'm sorry I can't help with dosing. I hope someone will be along very soon to help you out. Thank you for helping this baby.

Can you provide the weight of the squirrel? The Cipro dosage is determined by weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.