Thread: NEED HELP WITH TWO AFFLICTED SQUIRRELS

Hybrid View

Default Re: NEED HELP WITH TWO AFFLICTED SQUIRRELS

Steve, thank your wife for caring about these two beauties.

I think the second one is a Piebald squirrel which is a rare genetic anomaly. It is an AWESOME anomaly.
    http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2015/03/...rrel-oddities/

I'm not sure the first one is a dwarf. Is it small? How long has this one been observed in the cemetery. Dwarf don't live long in nature. To help these two you could add calcium carbonate powder to your nut paste. That will help tremendously because the nuts aren't particularly healthy. The calcium carbonate will help. You could also try avocado. Most squirrels really like it. I'm not sure about a wild though.

Welcome to The Squirrel Board.
    We would love to see more pics of these two.

2. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Elise (04-23-2017), lennysmom (04-21-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-21-2017), Nancy in New York (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Steve, thank your wife for caring about these two beauties.

I think the second one is a Piebald squirrel which is a rare genetic anomaly. It is an AWESOME anomaly.
    http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2015/03/...rrel-oddities/

I'm not sure the first one is a dwarf. Is it small? How long has this one been observed in the cemetery. Dwarf don't live long in nature. To help these two you could add calcium carbonate powder to your nut paste. That will help tremendously because the nuts aren't particularly healthy. The calcium carbonate will help. You could also try avocado. Most squirrels really like it. I'm not sure about a wild though.

Welcome to The Squirrel Board.
    We would love to see more pics of these two.
    I think you are absolutely correct about the squirrel being Piebald. Thank you for sharing that article it was very interesting.

Oh WOW I am just amazed that little dwarf looking foxer has survived all this time out in the wild with so many physical setbacks - little one must be such a fighter! The will to survive in squirrels never ceases to amaze me! Bless your wife for feeding and looking out the needs of this little one.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    The will to survive in squirrels never ceases to amaze me!
    They are an extraordinary species!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

lennysmom (04-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

Hi, everyone, I am not well-versed on forums, so I will try to do this well. I am uploading more photos as some of you requested. Thank you for your time and wisdom. I know my wife would absolutely LOVE to bring this squirrel who may be a dwarf home with her. She has named her Claire, for she names virtually all the animals she cares for at the cemetery. But we have two Irish setters and are soon moving to SW Colorado to get Pamela away from the electromagnetic nightmare of large cities, and we are absolutely overwhelmed with life at present. I am not absolutely ruling out rescuing this squirrel, but we know nothing about such work. On top of everything else, six days from now I am undergoing hernia surgery and will be relatively restricted for an entire month afterward. If is is REALLY feasible for total newbies to do this with two big dogs who are also like our kids, can you give us some advice as to how to begin? Pamela says that Claire does move a bit oddly and does not seem to like to climb like most squirrels love to do. She is not sure that she is significantly smaller than the others, and she is hoping to check that out today if the lightning does not prevent her from going.

QUESTIONS: One of you suggested adding calcium carbonate to the nut butters. We can sure do that. Is calcium citrate okay, or does it need to be carbonate? Also suggested was avocado. We will sure try that, too. What other foods would be good for her? We want to do all we can, whether it is here or at the cemetery. She seems to trust my wife completely and will eat anything Pamela gives her, including the organic tangerine as I mentioned last time. This series of photos shows her eating an organic date after demolishing a bunch of tangerine.

FUNNY COMMENT: Earlier this wee, while I was trying to get our income taxes done, Pamela lost our $275 car ignition key near where this squirrel lives. We hunted for it for a day and a half in the car, in my wife's food bags, and at the cemetery where Pamela thought she had been. We finally found the key a day later with many squirrel teeth marks. The culprit had chewed off two buttons completely before deciding that even though this key had my wife's scent on it, it was not really very tasty. Thankfully, we can live without the functions of those two buttons, and the key still works in the ignition.

Once again,THANKS TO ALL OF YOU KIND AND LOVING PEOPLE!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

8. 9 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stevetheartist:

Elise (04-23-2017), Grinderhead (04-21-2017), HRT4SQRLS (04-21-2017), island rehabber (04-21-2017), lennysmom (04-21-2017), lukaslolamaus (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-22-2017), UDoWhat (04-22-2017)

Could these two be siblings? They both look young. The piebald boy hasn't developed his man pillows yet and the little dwarf has no trait pattern baldness and doesn't look at all scruffy--something old dwarfs do. Check out some of the dwarf pix on TSB (special needs) We do have another fox dwarf. Claire doesn't look like anybody else, but with genetic anomalies, there's no continuity. She does appear stubby like dwarfkind but can't really see without comparison to something constant--coke can, brick, quart paint can--that sort of thing. Thank you for your kind hearts. You know what you can do and they are so much better off than they were without you. Any other TSB members out your way?

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Could these two be siblings? They both look young. The piebald boy hasn't developed his man pillows yet and the little dwarf has no trait pattern baldness and doesn't look at all scruffy--something old dwarfs do. Check out some of the dwarf pix on TSB (special needs) We do have another fox dwarf. Claire doesn't look like anybody else, but with genetic anomalies, there's no continuity. She does appear stubby like dwarfkind but can't really see without comparison to something constant--coke can, brick, quart paint can--that sort of thing. Thank you for your kind hearts. You know what you can do and they are so much better off than they were without you. Any other TSB members out your way?
    Thanks for the ideas. We will try to get some shots of Claire with a known object so you can judge size better. All of you are such cool people. Thank you!!! When I have a chance, I will seek out the photos you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I'm not sure the first one is a dwarf. Is it small?
    Do we have any members with a dwarf foxer?
    I would assume even a foxer dwarf would be bigger then our greys.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Thanks to all of you who are seeking to help us know what to do. Pamela did not see this squirrel, Claire, when she was there yesterday. It was in the midst of frequent lightning and thunder, and most of the creatures were in safe places. She is going to try today to find her and photograph her alongside some object of known size so all of you can get a better idea of her size. I will post the photos if she is successful. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    I thought there was a little one that was suspected to be a dwarf named Jessie and was possibly a fox squirrel, but I can't seem to find the thread.

There was definitely one fox dwarf on TSB.

Look under specific ailment/downs syndrome/ Little Jesse. That's the other little fox dwarf. Claire looks very different from Jesse but then every squirrel looks different from every other squirrel.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

Mel1959 (04-22-2017)