Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Pneumonia Open mouth breathing and clicking

Exclamation Please Help Pneumonia Open mouth breathing and clicking

PLEASE HELP!

I wont be able to get antibiotics until morning as it is to late now. Maple has clicking sound and is breathing heavy with mouth open. I'm so scared she wont make it through the night its breaking my heart. The only thing I have on hand is cefpodoxime 100mg it is left over from my dogs medicine and prednisone. I am so worried about maple I am in tears. can I give her this if so how much? If not will she make it through the night long enough to see the vet?

Default Re: Please Help Pneumonia Open mouth breathing and clicking

Did this come upon her all of a sudden? If so, check her throat with a flashlight to make sure nothing is stuck. We have heard of little ones choking on pieces of block and doing this., If you believe it is pneumonia I don't think either of the drugs will help. You MUST get her onto Cipro or Baytril asap. You could try holding her next to, or over, a pot of boiling water and let her breathe the steam....it may help her breathe a bit. Or stand in the shower with her and run the hot water.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017), Nancy in New York (04-20-2017)

The clicking I have heard three times randomly throughout the time ive had her 4 days but it always goes away and the open mouth breathing I seen her do it earlier but it was momentarily she stopped right after I gave her milk. Should I try feeding her formula and see if it goes away again? I checked on her about 45-30 min ago and she was sleeping fine then I went and checked again and she was clicking and breathing heavy mouth opened.

I just checked her the clicking has quieted down and she is not breathing as hard with mouth open but it is still slighty open. its almost like is panting

Ask every friend and family member to check their medicine cabinet. It doesn't matter if it is out of date. You need Ciprofloxin (human), Baytril (pet) or Clavamox (pet) or Augmentin (human). If you find another antibiotic from one of them, come here and we can help to figure out if it will help.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017), Nancy in New York (04-20-2017)

I sent them all a text.. hoping someone has something. She is just lying down now not clicking mouth still open a tiny bit

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maple17 from:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017)

I'm really confused and still really concerned but I just picked maple up again to check her and she climbing my arms and seems normal no clicking no labored or open mouth breathing? Is this because it is the beginning of pneumonia? If no one has any meds I know 100% I can get them in the morning she is definitely giving me a scare.

Will amoxicillin work?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Maple17:

island rehabber (04-20-2017), Mel1959 (04-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Maple17 View Post

Will amoxicillin work?
    Amoxi is good -- soon as possible.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I weighed her yesterday she was 126 grams I weighed her today and she was 134grams after a feeding how much should I give her?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maple17 from:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017)

To dose we need the strength of the med

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Mel1959 (04-20-2017)

Ok my aunt my have some she is checking, I just fed Maple she ate very enthusiastic per usual, and isn't clicking or open mouth breathing still since my last update? should I wait till morning to see the vet and get Baytril or clavox is it better than amox?

My aunt does have some amoxxicilin I can go get it now it is 500mg it is in a gel tab powder filled? and she had 875mg in a tablet I could cut?
    what should I do? Should I go get the amox or wait to see vet ?

Ok my aunt my have some she is checking, I just fed Maple she ate very enthusiastic per usual, and isn't clicking or open mouth breathing still since my last update? should I wait till morning to see the vet and get Baytril or clavox is it better than amox?
    My aunt does have some amoxxicilin I can go get it now it is 500mg it is in a gel tab powder filled? and she had 875mg in a tablet I could cut? what should I do? Should I go get the amox or wait to see vet ?
    The tablet would be better, we can explain how to break it down for dosing.
    Not being there with your baby it's hard to evaluate your situation to really know what is going on.
    Open mouth breathing is never good.
    If she is experiencing pneumonia the sooner one treats the better it is. If you were to start her on
    Amox and then get Baytril from a vet it can always be stopped and the other started.
    It's your call.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Ok,
    Please break it down for me I am watching her closely if she begins open mouth breathing again I am going to go get it from my aunt.
    Is it common for them to start open mouth breathing randomly and stopping is that usually pneumonia ? I feel like this really snuck up on her?

Thank you guys for all of the help.

Please go to this thread and watch the video that Nancy posted; is this what she's doing?

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=guppy
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017), stepnstone (04-20-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Please go to this thread and watch the video that Nancy posted; is this what she's doing?

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=guppy
    That Guppy mouth looks like what she was doing when I checked on her but that was before I fed her?
    will they do that when they are hungry? Because she did it early too right before her feeding time once she was fed she stopped? But today is the only time ive seen her do this ?

She is resting now seems to have a little twitch in her sleep? I'm not hearing any clicking or open mouth breathing still ?

That Guppy mouth looks like what she was doing when I checked on her but that was before I fed her?
    will they do that when they are hungry? Because she did it early too right before her feeding time once she was fed she stopped? But today is the only time ive seen her do this ?
    She is resting now seems to have a little twitch in her sleep? I'm not hearing any clicking or open mouth breathing still ?

How old is this baby? Can you post a picture of her?
    Generally with aspiration pneumonia even before a click is noticed they get "fussy" about eating,
    their appetite is the first to go then lethargy sets in. It really don't sound like this is what your
    experiencing.
    Twitching in their sleep is normal.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017), redwuff (04-20-2017)

Yes, if she gets very very hungry she may go through the motions of feeding (guppy mouth). How often are you feeding her? At her weight she should be eating between 6-8cc of formula, every 4-5 hours, at least 4 feedings per day.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Mel1959 (04-21-2017)

She eats 9cc per feeding every 4-5 hours.. This morning she ate a little more. She also ate all of her block between yesterday at 6:30pm and this morning. I Put another in there for her no clicking or open mouth breathing ever since I fed her last night. I did watch a video online of the clicking sound and that is the sound she randomly makes? I am heading to pick up cavalox drops from the vet in a couple minutes here just incase she starts again.
    I am still a little concerned should I not worry about giving her meds unless the sounds present them self again ? or should I be proactive and nip this is in the but just incase?
    She seems to nap most of the time but right before a feeding she is up and at it climbing and playing in her cage then after she eats back to bed is that normal activity for her age?
    she ate enthusiastically this morning she loves her formula that's forsure. Although I have noticed a little bit of bloating she enjoys a belly rub should I do gas drops ? her stomach isn't hard id say its like a little ballon?
    I'm sorry for all these questions. Thank you again for all of your help!

Just me, but I would defiantly be proactive in starting ABs on this little one since you have heard clicking off and on and she seems somewhat lethargic - aspiration phemonia kills quickly and I wouldn't take any chances, especially if you hear the clicking again. Just please be sure you have the proper dosing info for her before administing any meds.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

She eats 9cc per feeding every 4-5 hours.. This morning she ate a little more. She also ate all of her block between yesterday at 6:30pm and this morning. I Put another in there for her no clicking or open mouth breathing ever since I fed her last night. I did watch a video online of the clicking sound and that is the sound she randomly makes? I am heading to pick up cavalox drops from the vet in a couple minutes here just incase she starts again.
    I am still a little concerned should I not worry about giving her meds unless the sounds present them self again ? or should I be proactive and nip this is in the but just incase?
    She seems to nap most of the time but right before a feeding she is up and at it climbing and playing in her cage then after she eats back to bed is that normal activity for her age?
    she ate enthusiastically this morning she loves her formula that's forsure. Although I have noticed a little bit of bloating she enjoys a belly rub should I do gas drops ? her stomach isn't hard id say its like a little ballon?
    I'm sorry for all these questions. Thank you again for all of your help!
    Do you keep track of her weight to be feeding within the 5-7% range?
    They can all look like little porker babies after eating. If her poops are good and her stomach is down before her next feeding there's no reason to give gas drops.
    I wouldn't start any antibiotics, they are hard on little stomachs and should only be given if necessary. It really don't sound like your little has AP, if she did it would be very obvious by now. Her appetite and activity sounds strong and her sleeping pattern is normal for this age.
    I had a little in my care that choked on formula, I watched her carefully. One night after feeding I put her to bed, went to check on her and she was loudly clicking. I waited 15 minutes, checked on her again, still clicking. I immediately pulled out the meds, got everything ready to dose her, checked on her again and she had stopped clicking. I held off on dosing her, she's fine and it never happened again. I on the other hand had a few more hairs turn grey...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (04-21-2017), lennysmom (04-21-2017)

she ate enthusiastically this morning she loves her formula that's for sure.
    I realize you are getting conflicting advice, sorry about that but this is not at all what one can expect with AP.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

31. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (04-21-2017), lennysmom (04-21-2017), Mel1959 (04-21-2017), Milo's Mom (04-21-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast