Thread: friendly squirrel help

Default friendly squirrel help

So we bathed the little squirrel that got cut out of the tree no more bugs but im not sure to tell how old he is I put some squirrel feed from our feeder in his pen and water but he doesnt seem to want to eat im not sure if hes still nervous or he is too young for regular food is there a way to tell age

Default Re: friendly squirrel help

Quote Originally Posted by jenb View Post
    So we bathed the little squirrel that got cut out of the tree no more bugs but im not sure to tell how old he is I put some squirrel feed from our feeder in his pen and water but he doesnt seem to want to eat im not sure if hes still nervous or he is too young for regular food is there a way to tell age
    Can you post a picture? Would like to see overall size, Place a can, bottle, or something with him
    for a comparison. Also include a picture of genital area.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

gunpackingrandma (04-27-2017), Nancy in New York (04-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Can you post a picture? Would like to see overall size, Place a can, bottle, or something with him
    for a comparison. Also include a picture of genital area.
    I got a picture ive determined that it is still a baby he doesnt have teeth yet I got a bottle from the pet store and after researching I guess your supposed to use a syringe but I did get some of the dehydration formula into him and he is just happy to cuddle I need to get some puppy formula today I need to figure out how to post the picture

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jenb from:

gunpackingrandma (04-27-2017)

I got a picture ive determined that it is still a baby he doesnt have teeth yet I got a bottle from the pet store and after researching I guess your supposed to use a syringe but I did get some of the dehydration formula into him and he is just happy to cuddle I need to get some puppy formula today I need to figure out how to post the picture
    Just an update i cant get the picture on however ive been crazily researching to save my little buddy this being my first rescue and before work i got him formula and a syringe i rehydrated him and started him on formula yesterday and he is doing great today i found a site yesterday and determined hes about 5-6 weeks he slwpt most of the time and i had a water bowl for him and dumped it out when i realized he still needed fed so today he was pushing it around and i put a little water in till i get a bottle and i had some soft balls for the birds they are fruit and i put a few in he is eating them ob his own today and very active so i know we arent out if the woods yet but im so happy he is showing signs of improvement and hes pooping regular poop but how long dou continue the formula if he is starting to eat solids?

Just an update i cant get the picture on however ive been crazily researching to save my little buddy this being my first rescue and before work i got him formula and a syringe i rehydrated him and started him on formula yesterday and he is doing great today i found a site yesterday and determined hes about 5-6 weeks he slwpt most of the time and i had a water bowl for him and dumped it out when i realized he still needed fed so today he was pushing it around and i put a little water in till i get a bottle and i had some soft balls for the birds they are fruit and i put a few in he is eating them ob his own today and very active so i know we arent out if the woods yet but im so happy he is showing signs of improvement and hes pooping regular poop but how long dou continue the formula if he is starting to eat solids?
    At 5 to 6 weeks old, he should still be on formula for a little while yet. Did you rehydrate him when you took him in with a hydration soliton? The lethargy could be from dehydration. Also, be sure you have the proper formula, which is the Esbilac with pre and probiotics.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  157.8 KB

I usually give them formula as long as they will take it - they will usually wean themselves when they are ready. I'm glad to hear the little one is doing better. If you are having trouble posting pictures, you can send it to me at lennysmom01@gmail.com and I can post it for you.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Nancy in New York (04-28-2017)

Please work on getting a picture of this baby posted, we can access a baby's overall condition
    many times through a picture...

Did you get the correct powered formula pictured below?
    We allow and recommend these babies wean themselves when they are ready. At 5-6 weeks he'll be
    taking formula for quite some time yet. Do you have a scale to weigh this baby? They need to be eating
    between 5-7% of their body weight each feeding. Having a scale to weigh is essential!
    The first and only solid food they should be introduced to, eating and eating well before
    any other solids are introduced should be a good quality rodent block. Offering (anything) fruit is
    like giving candy to a baby and then expecting them to choose the right things. Not going to happen!
    I'm attaching 3 links for you to read on the proper care for this baby...
    Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Healthy diet pyramid: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

Henry's rodent block made especially for a squirrel's daily nutritional requirements;
    http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  65.8 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

lennysmom (04-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    At 5 to 6 weeks old, he should still be on formula for a little while yet. Did you rehydrate him when you took him in with a hydration soliton? The lethargy could be from dehydration. Also, be sure you have the proper formula, which is the Esbilac with pre and probiotics.
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  157.8 KB

I usually give them formula as long as they will take it - they will usually wean themselves when they are ready. I'm glad to hear the little one is doing better. If you are having trouble posting pictures, you can send it to me at lennysmom01@gmail.com and I can post it for you.
    Ok thank u yes i searched until i found that formula and i did rehydrate him but hes full of energy now im not sure how much formula he should be eating i usually give him two syringes full or until he stops every four hours or so he comes out and eats the suet berry nuggets when hes hungry so i let him go for a bit but he definitetly knows what the syringe is for now and grabs it before i can start lol

Here are the pictures of that cute little Peanut.
    Thank you for caring enough to rescue this little one.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  63.8 KB

Views: 31
Size:  103.3 KB

Little Peanut does look to be around 6 weeks old now. I noticed a lot of fruit and maybe some nuts in his dish? Please limit fruit and nuts to treats ONLY so that they will learn to eat their healthy foods and veggies. Nuts should be limited to two a day. I see stepnstone sent you the link to the healthy diet chart - please take a look at that. It has some really valuable information about how to keep your squirrel healthy. I don't even give nuts at all at this age. I give them a healthly block and then will introduce one or two healthly veggies at a time such as broccoli stems, califlower, and green beans. Do you have a scale? He really needs to be eating around 5 - 7% of his body weight in formula at each feeding.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Here are the pictures of that cute little Peanut.
    Thank you for caring enough to rescue this little one.
Views: 30
Size:  63.8 KB

Views: 31
Size:  103.3 KB

Little Peanut does look to be around 6 weeks old now. I noticed a lot of fruit and maybe some nuts in his dish? Please limit fruit and nuts to treats ONLY so that they will learn to eat their healthy foods and veggies. Nuts should be limited to two a day. I see stepnstone sent you the link to the healthy diet chart - please take a look at that. It has some really valuable information about how to keep your squirrel healthy. I don't even give nuts at all at this age. I give them a healthly block and then will introduce one or two healthly veggies at a time such as broccoli stems, califlower, and green beans. Do you have a scale? He really needs to be eating around 5 - 7% of his body weight in formula at each feeding.
    Ok that helps this being my first i wasnt sure how much to give him or what to transition him to and yes i have access to a scale so i will read over everything and switch him to different foods so thank u all very much ive been running and buying and researching everything i could and when he grabbed that syring today and knew what to do with it my heart melted i was so relieved and hes been so much more active today its just awesome to see him perking up 😁

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jenb from:

lennysmom (04-28-2017)

Ok that helps this being my first i wasnt sure how much to give him or what to transition him to and yes i have access to a scale so i will read over everything and switch him to different foods so thank u all very much ive been running and buying and researching everything i could and when he grabbed that syring today and knew what to do with it my heart melted i was so relieved and hes been so much more active today its just awesome to see him perking up ��
    I'm glad to hear that cute little sweetie is starting to perk up. One thing I did want to mention is that at this age, it is good to let him start nibbling on a healthy block. Stepnstone posted the link for you where you can purchase them. Be sure to buy the one for baby squirrels because there are several different kinds. I know that it seems like a lot of information with learning to properly care for a baby squirrel, but please feel free to ask us any questions that you have along the way. And thank you for caring enough to come here and learn how to properly care of that sweet little Peanut.